Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 02:35 PM

201 posts, read 190,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The bicycle rider should be given a medal for his actions.
Why? For all we know the dog was being friendly and the bike rider is the type who's scared of their own shadow. I'm thinking this is the case since he said "it was a German Shepherd looking dog." Being a GSD owner I know first hand how many people have a very irrational fear of the breed. I would run into these morons at the dog park when I took my then 3 month old GSD to the dog park to socialize him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 02:41 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Out of control dog chasing and threatening a bicycle rider possibly causing grave injury.

Bicycle rider defends himself and shoots dog.

Good. I'm happy the bicycle rider escaped uninjured and the dangerous dog is dead.

Why would you be happy about something like that......mean person you are.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:47 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
I didn't read the originally linked article, but in the Daily Mail version, the owner claimed that the dog was an officer in the Army (and was going to try to somehow leverage that fact in a civil suit...not sure now). So, were enlisted men required to salute the dog?
Stupid post.

El Nox

Old 10-20-2015, 04:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
Why? For all we know the dog was being friendly and the bike rider is the type who's scared of their own shadow. I'm thinking this is the case since he said "it was a German Shepherd looking dog." Being a GSD owner I know first hand how many people have a very irrational fear of the breed. I would run into these morons at the dog park when I took my then 3 month old GSD to the dog park to socialize him.
The real thing we have to consider is it was a large dog running loose that ran up to a bike rider. The rider did not know if the dog was friendly or attacking. The rider protected himself and shot the dog. Really the end of the story.

Fact: A dog running loose. The owner or someone let it run free and run up at a bike rider. No matter what, it is the owner or the dogs caretakers fault this happened. If they had been responsible people, the dog would not have been running free to frighten the bike rider and would still be alive.

Fact: In most areas of the country, the dog was violating the law running free, and the owner would not only have lost his dog, but would have been given a ticket to pay for letting that dog run free.

The fact that the dog was a war dog, really have nothing to do with the fact the dog was running free and got killed.

The dog was known to have DTSD from the war, and no one has any idea if the dog was suffering from it the time and actually attacked the bike rider due to this medical problem. We are not talking about a toy dog, but a trained war dog. The bike rider may have saved his own life, by killing the dog.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:06 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The real thing we have to consider is it was a large dog running loose that ran up to a bike rider. The rider did not know if the dog was friendly or attacking. The rider protected himself and shot the dog. Really the end of the story.

Fact: A dog running loose. The owner or someone let it run free and run up at a bike rider. No matter what, it is the owner or the dogs caretakers fault this happened. If they had been responsible people, the dog would not have been running free to frighten the bike rider and would still be alive.

Fact: In most areas of the country, the dog was violating the law running free, and the owner would not only have lost his dog, but would have been given a ticket to pay for letting that dog run free.

The fact that the dog was a war dog, really have nothing to do with the fact the dog was running free and got killed.

The dog was known to have DTSD from the war, and no one has any idea if the dog was suffering from it the time and actually attacked the bike rider due to this medical problem. We are not talking about a toy dog, but a trained war dog. The bike rider may have saved his own life, by killing the dog.
Fact: the dog was shot from behind.

Fact: the perp told several different stories.

El Nox

Old 10-20-2015, 05:12 PM

201 posts, read 190,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

I've had large dogs run up to me while I'm walking or biking, but It never crossed my mind to shoot the dog. Neither of us will ever know all the details of what actually happened, but from what I've read I believe there is a good chance the guy overreacted.

Also, I don't think the dog was just left to roam the neighborhood. Dogs sometimes escape their yards. The dog could have been having severe separation anxiety because his owner was gone. I've seen police training videos of Malinois getting over 6'-8' walls with ease.

I don't know exactly what type of training the dog received, but just because it's a "war dog" does not make it dangerous. The dogs training could have been single purpose for explosives detection. That type of training is not going to make the dog anymore dangerous than a civilian Malinois.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:41 PM

42 posts, read 28,311 times
[quote=karlsch;41601748]I'm one of those troops who served their country (how about you?) who also happens to be tired of people who use their service as an excuse for everything they do wrong such as letting their dog run wild threatening people.

Anyway, dogs aren't heroes no matter how many badges you pin on them. They are simple creatures who aren't capable of thinking about things, they aren't even self-aware. "I think, therefore I am" does not apply to dogs. Everything they do is determined by their instinct and/or training.quote] Thank you for your service. However, you have obviously not seen the recent documentaries showing how advanced dogs' mental capabilities truly are. Look them up, I guarantee you will be surprised. I also hazard a guess that you are not familiar with many dogs.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:37 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
I LOVE dogs, I love all animals, but the sad fact is that he was loose and showing aggression. The rider felt threatened and had the means, so he protected himself.

Yes, maybe he did over-react, but maybe he was afraid of dogs, and this one was approaching him in aggression, they guy was only protecting himself.

No one is at fault except the owner who didn't have the dog under control.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:42 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
I've had large dogs run up to me while I'm walking or biking, but It never crossed my mind to shoot the dog. Neither of us will ever know all the details of what actually happened, but from what I've read I believe there is a good chance the guy overreacted.

Also, I don't think the dog was just left to roam the neighborhood. Dogs sometimes escape their yards. The dog could have been having severe separation anxiety because his owner was gone. I've seen police training videos of Malinois getting over 6'-8' walls with ease.

I don't know exactly what type of training the dog received, but just because it's a "war dog" does not make it dangerous. The dogs training could have been single purpose for explosives detection. That type of training is not going to make the dog anymore dangerous than a civilian Malinois.
He was a bomb sniffing dog, not an attack dog. Being a bomb sniffing dog doesn't involve aggression training, it requires concentration and patience and staying calm in a chaotic environment. Seems to be that kind of training would make a dog less likely to react dangerously not more so.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:44 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I LOVE dogs, I love all animals, but the sad fact is that he was loose and showing aggression. The rider felt threatened and had the means, so he protected himself.

Yes, maybe he did over-react, but maybe he was afraid of dogs, and this one was approaching him in aggression, they guy was only protecting himself.

No one is at fault except the owner who didn't have the dog under control.
How is it a fact the dog was showing aggression? Provide a link that confirms this, please. Was he showing aggression by wagging his butt in the guy's face, since he was shot from behind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events