Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 07:40 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,784,617 times

Advertisements

I'm struggling to see why this matters. If the powers that be want to change the symbol, so what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 07:46 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,352,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
If the powers that be want to change the symbol, so what?
The ones that want it changed aren't powers that be at all. The PC crowd just acts like they are.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
The ones that want it changed aren't powers that be at all.

??? That's just a vague term, I'm not meaning anyone in particular other than "the people involved who have the interest/ability to get it changed".

In any case this sounds like a debate the disabled (differently abled?) community should have with itself. Either way the rest of us won't park in the parking spot, right? I just don't see what there is to beeyuch about.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:53 PM

5,214 posts, read 2,979,870 times
Quote:
??? That's just a vague term, I'm not meaning anyone in particular other than "the people involved who have the interest/ability to get it changed".

In any case this sounds like a debate the disabled (differently abled?) community should have with itself. Either way the rest of us won't park in the parking spot, right? I just don't see what there is to beeyuch about.
Because some of us are tired of things being changed just to appease a small amount of people. How much money do you think will have to be spent replacing the signs? Who do you think will be paying for those signs to be replaced? I can tell you that it wont be paid only by those who want the signs replaced.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:58 PM

20,103 posts, read 16,061,878 times
Quote:
I'm struggling to see why this matters. If the powers that be want to change the symbol, so what?
Changing signs cost the taxpayers, and perhaps in this case retailers, money. Unnecessarily, in this case. Otherwise, I couldn't care less.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:05 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,255,237 times
If a change in a sign/symbol representing people makes them feel better about themselves then I don't see a problem with changing the sign. There is a problem with people who claim to represent certain groups being overly sensitive these days--but this sign isn't an example of that in my opinion.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Because some of us are tired of things being changed just to appease a small amount of people. How much money do you think will have to be spent replacing the signs? Who do you think will be paying for those signs to be replaced? I can tell you that it wont be paid only by those who want the signs replaced.
Only a small percentage of people are actually disabled. The article says the community is currently debating the issue. Should we decide for them what their symbol should be, because there are more of us than them? Do we want to go down that road?

The cost of implementation will depend on the plan they come up with, but let's be real... it won't bankrupt anything and the signs all have to get replaed eventually just from regular wear and tear.

We can agree to disagree, but to me getting salty about this is a bit petty. I dont think it's about the cost as much as its about reflexive annoyance at anything labeled to be "PC".

Old 10-17-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
If a change in a sign/symbol representing people makes them feel better about themselves then I don't see a problem with changing the sign. There is a problem with people who claim to represent certain groups being overly sensitive these days--but this sign isn't an example of that in my opinion.
If those people who want to feel better about themselves want to change the sign then let them pay for it.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Only a small percentage of people are actually disabled. The article says the community is currently debating the issue. Should we decide for them what their symbol should be, because there are more of us than them? Do we want to go down that road?

The cost of implementation will depend on the plan they come up with, but let's be real... it won't bankrupt anything and the signs all have to get replaed eventually just from regular wear and tear.

We can agree to disagree, but to me getting salty about this is a bit petty. I dont think it's about the cost as much as its about reflexive annoyance at anything labeled to be "PC".
For me this is about how much money it will cost. How many signs do you think would have to be replaced? Millions and millions. Thats alot of money.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:12 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,080,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Politically Correct people say the new sign will make people have a more positive attitude towards handicapped people.
I agree. Cripples have a hard enough time as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events