Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,125,463 times

Advertisements

more money down the s&!tter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 10:34 AM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Thousands of dollars each year - and that doesn't even count the excise tax paid when the truck was purchased. Follow the link for more info.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l#post41510009

I doubt that the the City and/or power company sell me water and electricity, respectively, below cost.

The fact that I am forced to pay for services I don't use means that I am forced to subsidize others' use of services that I myself derive no benefit from. That is simply unjust, and would be a criminal offense if it weren't done at the behest of government.
It can cost thousands of dollars to just pave a driveway, let along hundreds of thousands of miles of roadway. That can only be paid for when everyone chips in for the good of everyone.

You are thinking only of the water itself. You aren't thinking of the dams, the pipes, the pumps, and all the infrastructure that gets that water to your place of work and your home. That can only be paid for when everyone chips in for the good of everyone.

Everyone working together for the sake of all is what makes a bunch of people a nation. That's the difference between the selfish and those who believe in the common good, the latter one of the main principles on which this nation was founded.

And this is the last of this series of your posts that I'm going to respond to.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:38 AM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Now that you mention it, a family member who worked with spinal cord injury patients for years brought up the idea that there be separate handicapped spots for folks in wheel chairs, and for others who because of medical conditions are unable to walk very far. The reasoning was that the wheelchair access spots have to be wide enough to accomodate wheelchair lifts used to move the chair out/into the vehicle (van) onto the ground and back. It's tough, or even impossible to do that in a regular parking spot. The only requirement for handicapped parking for folks who have medical conditions precluding them from walking any distance is that the parking spots be close to the stores, etc, but generally they don't need the extra space to get in and out of their vehicles. This might make things even more confusing, but IMO it was a thought.

I know there are any number of medical conditions that make it difficult to get around very far, cardiac conditions, lung conditions, and others that limit a person's mobility. And they are not always obvious when you look at the person. We had a young friend one time with about the most severe asthma I have ever seen, she was really incapacitated when she had an attack, and it's anyone's guess what shape her lungs were in. She looked ok, and one could have made all kinds of assumptions when she used her handicap parking permit- till you got close enough to hear that wheezing!

So I never assume someone with a handicapped sticker on their vehicle and parking in one of those spots doesn't really need it-you just never know and IMO it is not up to me to judge. Although I must admit to some skepticism the time I saw two sweet young things pull up in a top-down convertible into the handicapped space, and each jump over the doors without opening their
doors, and bounce off into the store. They had the handicap ticket dutifully attached to the rear view mirror, and I would bet it was borrowed from one of their grandparents, but again, I would leave that fight for the law enforcement officers.
Nicely written.

That last incident you wrote about...yes, kinda like the guy I saw out jogging who had a handicapped plate and was parked in a handicapped space. Car probably belonged to a relative and he was using it. All I could think of was -- he can jog but is worried about walking a few more steps?

Old 10-19-2015, 10:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Alot of us WHO ARE AWAKE are angry about alot of things mate!!
Angry about a handicap sign redesign? Really? Bit ridiculous to be angry about that, don't ya think?

Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Seems like there too many people with nothing to do but complain about silly things, that cost the rest of us that end up paying for it .

Old 10-19-2015, 11:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
the signs should simply read HC

Old 10-19-2015, 11:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Why don't you mind your own business? I am of the protected class and I could care less. I use a cane which I do need to keep from falling going up and down curbs...but if the wheel chair guys prefer a more athletic pose the more power to them.

And if they want a little flame or speed lines...the more power to them.
I see, so you believe a majority (even a simple majority 50.1%) of the disabled are behind this?

Again, it is typically the feel good PCers who want to be indignant with liberal sophomoric weaksauce. For example, the most animated discussions I've been in over the term Oriental vs. Asian were not with yellow people, it was lily white liberals. My friends from the Orient think it is much to do about nothing, and they themselves self identify as Oriental. But what do they know.
The same is true of Jewfish vs. Goliath Grouper, with uber white liberals (non Jews). Many a Jewish fisherman will always refer to those tasty fish as Jewfish, despite the non Jews who are activist warriors on supposedly offended Jewish peoples behalf's.

I'd much rather the money it will take to change everything around be used for disabled veterans and other worthy causes helping the disabled.

`

Old 10-19-2015, 11:31 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
I'm shocked and astonished that something made in 1974 might not prove to be timeless. I'm going to take my complaint all the way to the desk of President Ford!

First I just have to find a mimeograph machine so I can make some copies of my petition.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I'm shocked and astonished that something made in 1974 might not prove to be timeless. I'm going to take my complaint all the way to the desk of President Ford!

First I just have to find a mimeograph machine so I can make some copies of my petition.
I know right? And how dreadfully PC of all those negroes to want to vote, and all the women to want loans and checking accounts in their own name without approval of their husbands!

Those darn PC police! What will they try to change next? Hey, I got a sign for ya. It reads "Get off my damn lawn, ya flamin librul pansy!".

Old 10-19-2015, 12:01 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Hey I like gimp. I think I will cease being handicapped or crippled and claim to be a little gimpy...
That's what I say I am - gimpy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events