Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 07:33 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
How do you tell the difference between "troubled" black males and regular black males on the street?
Exactly! How do you tell the difference between troubled white males and regular white males on a college campus or theater?

Old 10-25-2015, 07:37 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Where do you live? I have been around classy black educated males all my life, but of course you would not post pictures of them because it makes you feel really inferior. Have you made yourself feel powerful by posting these pics? Does it make you feel superior? I hope that you have satisfied your need to feel good about yourself today. Like the other poster stated we could post pictures of white men hanging black people, cutting babies out of pregnant black woman slaves, raping young black girls, cutting off hands and feet of black people, and all the other atrocious acts that white men have done to our race, but I am sure that will just provide an additional supply of the need that you have to feel superior. Carry On!!
I could do those things, but I won't. One reason I don't is because it would be hypocritical on my part.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:09 AM

50,817 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Oh, so it's MY issue now?Because somehow I'm crazy?

Yeah I really really really want to buy a home living on the same block as these guys. My petite wife would be totally safe and our (hopefully future) children will never have to worry about a stray bullet or getting robbed, beaten or victimized as they grow up.

Heck, I'm also interested in opening up a business down the way so that I can provide jobs for the community. Won't even need security cameras!
So now why don't we put up some photos of White supremacists down in Alabama and Mississippi who are members of the KKK.

Of course, neither set of photos would be representative.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:13 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
I'm certainly not going to be reading through all the disgusting sickness and racism that drips from this mostly deranged and disgraceful thread, but I live near 7th and East Capitol, a couple of blocks from where this incident occurred, and I have a couple of things to say.

1. If you are a young black male and police cars start rolling up at your location, it is most definitely time to take your leave. Police are never there to protect the interests of young black males. You are just a member of a suspect class, and you will be treated as such regardless of your lack of actual involvement in anything.

2. This is a diverse area. There are people of all sorts. Including those who have not yet adapted to this level of diversity and quite possibly never will. You can be sure that some of these still fearful folks will come up with "better safe than sorry" over-reactions, thereby creating trouble when none had actually existed before.

3. You still shouldn't take anything for granted here. It's an urban area and not everyone is a happy camper. Within a week of the bank incident, there was a rash of stick-ups on Capitol Hill, and in the nearby areas of the Atlas District, Eastern Market, Navy Yard, and Potomac Avenue. Related arrests have recently been made in Maryland.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:21 AM

27 posts, read 20,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Very dumb on all counts. You don't "hang out" by an ATM, regardless of race or anything else. That is NOT a hangout spot.

Then running when the police arrive is also very poor judgement for an innocent person.

This is starting to get like Al Sharpton's and Jesse Jackson's cries of racism anytime someone sneezes.

Crying wolf is dumb, especially when there are plenty of ACTUAL cases of police misconduct.

So you never did anything dumb at 17?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:24 AM

27 posts, read 20,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He ran when cops show up. That is a sure sign of doing something you shouldn't be doing.

Their restraint does not appear excessive.
It was excessive.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:31 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am NOT afraid of all black males because I even have close black friends, one I just visited a couple weeks ago back East. What we are all "afraid" of is troubled young black males. No, I will not stop "being afraid" of them because doing so would be irrational. Instead, I avoid such persons.
How do you automatically know the "troubled" ones from the non-troubled ones? Perhaps your profile has more criteria than simply "young" and "black." Okay, then.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:48 AM

755 posts, read 675,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Oh, so it's MY issue now?Because somehow I'm crazy?

Yeah I really really really want to buy a home living on the same block as these guys. My petite wife would be totally safe and our (hopefully future) children will never have to worry about a stray bullet or getting robbed, beaten or victimized as they grow up.

Heck, I'm also interested in opening up a business down the way so that I can provide jobs for the community. Won't even need security cameras!
Your are ridiculous. You are racists, why racists? because you believe all black people are inherently criminals. Why? because you post a picture to reinforce your racists views, projecting an image that all black men are criminals.......atypical behavior of racists C-D posters, and that also makes you ridiculous!

Again, racists people love saying and displaying poor blacks as representation of all blacks; why do they not do that with poor whites? Rhetorical; doesn't fit their agenda and it would hold them accountable for their racist POV's and law abiding white citizens would lose their minds dealing with those types of generalizations.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
How do you tell the difference between "troubled" black males and regular black males on the street?
The same way you do; the same way everyone does.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Should police have the right to throw somebody to ground if they have committed no crime?
Should police have the right to roughly handcuff someone if they have broken no law?

And how do we know that they young men broke no laws? Were they convicted of breaking any law? Were they even charged with committing any crime?

If the standard held here is to be accepted, then I would like every gun owner who is carrying a gun to be thrown to the ground and handcuffed because just like there's no good reason to be hanging around an ATM (according to quite a few people on this forum), there's also no good reason to be carrying a gun.

I can't pass judgement on why the police threw that black young man to the ground until I see what happened before he was thrown to the ground. Just because he did nothing wrong before he was questioned doesn't mean he didn't do something wrong during the questioning. People often become combative if they feel they are being wronged. I have a white friend that was a nurse that was arrested because she did not cooperate with police over a minor incident. People loose their common sense in these situations all the time and the police should not be placed in harms way because someone is acting like an idiot.

Weather the young men broke the law or not is irrelevant. That's up to the judge and jury to decide. If you are being questioned by police you have the right to refuse to answer without the presence of an attorney. You do not have the right to be uncooperative, combative, and irrational. Police do have the right to subdue you and protect themselves, and rightfully so. People are dangerous and they are not mind readers. Any threat to their physical well being must be dealt with swiftly and effectively or they might not go home that night. The bottom line is be respectful weather you feel like you are totally right and cooperate. High octane emotion is counter productive.

Every gun owner to be thrown to the ground and handcuffed? I think they would more likely be shot if they didn't keep their hands in plain view and display reasonable behavior. How is the police officer to know if you're up to no good with a gun or not? I've told you this before and I will tell you this again. Not every video is proof of police brutality and I am suspicious of the tiny snippets that show a dramatic take down. This whole anti cop haters movement is making a difficult job ten times harder and more dangerous. I believe the vast majority of the police out there are doing a good job. Don't hate the uniform, hate the individual that is not doing a good job. Why make innocent people suffer for a few bad apples? I hope that some day you understand that concept. This mentality is way too similar to the radical religious terrorists who kill innocent people with their one size fits all narrow minded mentality. Sad indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events