Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 09:36 PM

23,186 posts, read 12,303,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Your source has been discredited.
By your own opinion? Hate to break it to you but your opinion doesn't matter to me.

Quote:
It is as made up and the other information you presented.

Is a Pet Dog Really Killed by a Police Officer Every 98 Minutes? - CityLab

When you find a credible source, do share.
As it's stated in the story...

"But it's not clear how often this kind of thing really happens. There are no state databases, and it's not a category in municipal crime reports. Neither the FBI nor the Bureau of Justice Statistics collect data on dog shootings. The U.S. Postal Service knows exactly how many mail carriers were bitten by dogs in 2012, but no one seems to know how many pet dogs were killed by law enforcement. "

""We’re planning on doing a lot of Freedom of Information Act requests," Reasonover says. "We think it’s happening way more than the statistic we have." That statistic, which sits at the top of Puppycide's kickstarger page: "Every 98 minutes, a dog is shot by law enforcement." Activists came up with that number after tallying accounts of dog-shootings from news stories across the country."

And, when I made the comment about the number of dogs killed I stated "the estimated average".

If you don't agree with the numbers than you're free to go through news stories across the country and come up with your own tally.

Odd though, that the USPS can keep track of dog encounters, but the police and other departments refuse to keep track though it's not difficult to understand why they don't , if they could also get away with not keeping track of how many innocent people they kill they would be ecstatic.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,762,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
The officer in question was "acting peaceably" …

In the Law, it is impossible for a child to "provoke" an attack by a dog … which is why insurance companies simply do not bother to defend against claims of a child bitten by a dog ...
No. A child can perfectly well provoke a dog. It is only a toddler...generally less than 5...who is considered too you to do the act. And be careful there are let outs if a parent is involved where the parent is imputed with the provoking done by the kid. A legal child is one less than 18 but that is not the let out.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,586,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
No. A child can perfectly well provoke a dog. It is only a toddler...generally less than 5...who is considered too you to do the act. And be careful there are let outs if a parent is involved where the parent is imputed with the provoking done by the kid. A legal child is one less than 18 but that is not the let out.
My eight year old daughter did NOTHING -- NOTHING -- to provoke the attack by her friend's dog ...

Old 10-22-2015, 09:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,514,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
True...but how many people have well trained Dogs ?
One of my points, most dogs are not properly trained, the dog is treated like a child member of the family instead of an animal. Dogs bite people because often, the dog isn't controlled.

It isn't the responsibility of others to control someone else's dog or figure out what it will do or know if the dog is friendly or hostile.

A loose dog is a danger to people.

Your dog, your 100% responsibilty, for everything it does.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
If a toddler provokes and dog and the dog bites the toddler, you own the liability as the dog owner. There is no question abour it.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
By your own opinion? Hate to break it to you but your opinion doesn't matter to me.

As it's stated in the story...

"But it's not clear how often this kind of thing really happens. There are no state databases, and it's not a category in municipal crime reports. Neither the FBI nor the Bureau of Justice Statistics collect data on dog shootings. The U.S. Postal Service knows exactly how many mail carriers were bitten by dogs in 2012, but no one seems to know how many pet dogs were killed by law enforcement. "

""We’re planning on doing a lot of Freedom of Information Act requests," Reasonover says. "We think it’s happening way more than the statistic we have." That statistic, which sits at the top of Puppycide's kickstarger page: "Every 98 minutes, a dog is shot by law enforcement." Activists came up with that number after tallying accounts of dog-shootings from news stories across the country."

And, when I made the comment about the number of dogs killed I stated "the estimated average".

If you don't agree with the numbers than you're free to go through news stories across the country and come up with your own tally.

Odd though, that the USPS can keep track of dog encounters, but the police and other departments refuse to keep track though it's not difficult to understand why they don't , if they could also get away with not keeping track of how many innocent people they kill they would be ecstatic.
More guesswork, thanks for discrediting your own sources. Its all guessing. Typical for activists.

And the cop hating always comes out, 100% of the time.

Last edited by Year2525; 10-22-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 09:57 PM

23,186 posts, read 12,303,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
More guesswork, thanks for discrediting your own sources. Its all guessing. Typical for activists.
How is "tallying accounts of dog-shootings from news stories across the country" guessing? I guess in your mind tallying numbers from any source is simply guessing .. so much for the figures you've been tossing out left and right on here, you've just discredited your own comments.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:01 PM

50,467 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
My eight year old daughter did NOTHING -- NOTHING -- to provoke the attack by her friend's dog ...

Deleted

Old 10-22-2015, 10:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,762,680 times
Quote:
That is a perfectly reasonable argument. And the jury decides. If true of course you win. If however the kid was say riding the dog...you may not.. I would think virtually all unprovoked attacks by dogs on children should be met with large damages against the owner.

Had neighbors in So CA who had a Malamute that was mad. The dog should have been euthanize. I moved before the situation resolved but that dog was going to hurt someone. Not sure what you do about that though...even though they knew the dog was mad they would not send him on. On the bright side he would likely have eaten a burglar.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

Your agenda in the last sentence is perfectly clear. That is all seem to have, hate for the police.

Your own words. Discredits everything else you post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.