Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:20 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,250,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
From the article, emphasis mine..

"Mike Honda as the Democrat praised the teen, saying Ahmed had used his negative experience to raise awareness about racial and ethnic profiling."

I dont think he has done much to raise awareness, and i doubt it will continue once he high tails it to Qatar.
I agree with you, I think it has the opposite effect. By attempting to force people to accept clock boy's fraud as a legitimate invention casts a very low opinion of everyone involved, in this case muslims. This should have been identified right away as nothing more than a manufactured clock dumped into a pencil box but since he was lionized by no less than our president, the general public hasn't raised awareness about racial and ethnic profiling but rather have lowered their opinion of muslims because such small accomplishments (even fraudulent ones) warrant trips to major tech companies and the White House. What's next, an 18 year old muslim learned to tie his shoes? Woo Hoo!! Full scholarship to MIT

If I were muslim, I would be very upset by all this attention on this fraud. I am surprised muslims are not speaking out against this showing the real accomplishments they do have. But they are taking a different tack, crying bigotry and demanding their (implied) inadequacies be accepted as normal. Good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 10:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,764,827 times
Interesting. I do think the father played us all on this. Think maybe this is political? This is an article in the dallas paper about the father.

Irving resident makes his second bid for election as President of Sudan | North Dallas Gazette

Quote:
Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, born in Sudan in 1961 but long time resident of Irving, has announced plans to run for President of the African nation Sudan. The oldest of nine boys, he is now the father of seven children.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2363466

Other articles about him:
Why Mohamed Elhassan, the Dallas Imam Who Played Defense Attorney in Quran-Torching Church, Says He "Admires" Terry Jones | Dallas Observer

Mark Davis: Ahmed

I think this is a phony story and probably was not prompted by Islamophobia. As others have said the school he attended was pretty diverse. The dad got what he wanted - a scholarship for his son (who is bright, but probably not in the top tier). Qatar is quite different from Sudan so going to Qatar may work out for the family. If they have money, then they will fit in with the population there as Qatar is mostly foreigners who work there.

Qatar's population - by nationality

Quote:
Qatari nationals number only 278,000, representing a mere 12 percent of the total population in the country.
The Sudanese make up about 2% of the population.

As for language, there are many spoken in Qatar, but in society, English and Arabic tend to be used.

Qatar / Languages - LookLex Encyclopaedia

His daughter may find Qatar restrictive though as women are only 1/4 of the population and are pretty controlled by their husbands or fathers.

For Qatari Women, Change Slow in Coming - ABC News

Quote:
Marriages are still for the most part arranged, and once his family decided upon a girl for him to marry, a young man would be able to go on arranged dates with her.
Quote:
While not all of the female students wear the full abaya and face veil, the majority do.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:16 AM

922 posts, read 799,440 times
Wise decision, everyone knows "Multi-Culturelism" is bs.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:01 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,703,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist
I feel sorry for his mother and sisters.
Yes me also.......... Its quite saddening

Old 10-26-2015, 06:15 AM

6,194 posts, read 3,556,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Do you understand the difference between classical and spoken Arabic? I'm thinking from your response that you do not.
Do you understand the difference between what an empire is and what it is not? (I'm thinking no. America is not one.) Or that people aren't likely to move to a country so quickly if they can't communicate there? You ignored 99% of my post yet continue to defend these barbarian hucksters by pointing out that America, like almost every other nation on earth, has done some bad things in the world.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,093,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Give me a break. You cannot compare the United States in 2015 to what the Arabs are doing to Africa. To do so is to be an apologist for genocide, mass rape, and forced religious conversion. Just read Escape From Slavery by Francis Bok, a Sudanese man, or Slave: My True Story by Sudanese woman Mende Nazer, or the writings of Ayaan Hirsi Ali. You have no idea what you're talking about. Get back to me when the US has invaded Mexico, killed the men, taken the juvenile girls as brides and forced them to become English-speaking Protestants, taken ownership of all natural resources and amenities, and made it legal to for an American to kill a Mexican, import them here as slaves, and chop off their tongues and limbs for disobeying. THAT is what the Arab Muslims have wrought.
I wish I could rep you again for this.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 AM

6,194 posts, read 3,556,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That is true. Look at Central Texas, with all those German and Czech settlements. There are still areas where the elders speak German (it's really Texas German). Unfortunately, the language is dying out with the elders because when they were children during WWII, there was a move to force these kids to stop speaking German. Their parents spoke exclusively German, and their children didn't learn it at all, making them the last generation to really speak it. I read an article about it recently because a professor at the University of Texas, who was born and raised in Germany, was eating lunch in a restaurant in Fredericksburg and heard a group of old people speaking German, but it wasn't the same German he spoke. He found out it's a dying language, so he is documenting it to preserve it for history.
Is German not an elective language in high school, along with French, Spanish, Latin, etc?

Old 10-26-2015, 09:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,093,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Is German not an elective language in high school, along with French, Spanish, Latin, etc?
Not so much anymore. It's getting to be unusual. French and Latin are also less common than they used to be...at least around here.

Around here it's SpanishSpanishSpanishSpanishSpanishSpanish. Mostly because we're being invaded by swarms of illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central America who don't bother to learn English...so we have to cater to them.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:24 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,980,451 times
Americans can tell themselves all day that this is the greatest place to live however the truth is many if not most even third worlders who move here want to move back.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:30 AM

16,314 posts, read 10,334,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Americans can tell themselves all day that this is the greatest place to live however the truth is many if not most even third worlders who move here want to move back.
I would be interested in seeing whatever stats you might have concerning in-migration and out-migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events