U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2015, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Inland Northwest
1,793 posts, read 1,148,237 times
Reputation: 1845

Advertisements

Clock kid’ Ahmed Mohamed and his family will move to Qatar

Ahmed’s sister Eyman said the Middle East won’t feel too different from the U.S., except that the family will be surrounded by Muslims like themselves - That sounds, really racist and xenophobic.

“Qatar is in the Arab world, but it also feels like Texas..” But, Texas was a racist hell-hole filled with Islamaphobic racists. I'm so confused now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2015, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
1,256 posts, read 697,345 times
Reputation: 1437
I am curious to know how many people on this thread have lived in the Middle East, and in which countries? There seem to be a lot of people here who know an awful lot about it... I'd also love to know how of the posters on this thread have had the experience of being an immigrant or being a minority in the country you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 11:25 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,000 posts, read 32,846,519 times
Reputation: 27537
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Clock kid’ Ahmed Mohamed and his family will move to Qatar

Ahmed’s sister Eyman said the Middle East won’t feel too different from the U.S., except that the family will be surrounded by Muslims like themselves - That sounds, really racist and xenophobic.

“Qatar is in the Arab world, but it also feels like Texas..” But, Texas was a racist hell-hole filled with Islamaphobic racists. I'm so confused now...
Yeah, they're so oppressed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
1,581 posts, read 1,507,531 times
Reputation: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Great, Im sure he can put his clock making skills to work over there........


"We are going to move to a place where my kids can study and learn, and all of them being accepted by that country," Ahmed's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, told The Dallas Morning News before boarding an airplane from Washington back home to Texas on Tuesday.







Texas teen arrested for homemade clock to move to Qatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,700 posts, read 4,429,448 times
Reputation: 11695
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I am curious to know how many people on this thread have lived in the Middle East, and in which countries? There seem to be a lot of people here who know an awful lot about it... I'd also love to know how of the posters on this thread have had the experience of being an immigrant or being a minority in the country you live in?
Raising my hand to "yes" regarding immigrant/minority. So grateful to the US for giving us a safe place....hands across our hearts every year at the July 4th swearing in ceremony. That's my family. We didn't bring items to school that looked like bombs. We worked on assimilating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 PM
 
2,688 posts, read 2,204,323 times
Reputation: 3592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I am curious to know how many people on this thread have lived in the Middle East, and in which countries? There seem to be a lot of people here who know an awful lot about it... I'd also love to know how of the posters on this thread have had the experience of being an immigrant or being a minority in the country you live in?
What you don't seem to understand is that these people weren't poor beleaguered immigrants, they were frauds.

Big difference.

Of course it's tough to be the minority in any situation. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,788 posts, read 2,196,505 times
Reputation: 7162
Why did his family even move here? They obviously had no interest in assimilating and becoming American citizens. Something is really wrong with our immigration system, even the the legal kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 02:11 PM
 
6,637 posts, read 3,756,268 times
Reputation: 13713
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sure is one ugly side the Americans. This is a KID, not an adult. Geez, we certainly have gotten aggressive towards others. I know religion is done in the US as is clear by how people treat each other, but we could show a little compassion for at least kids. Wow.
I think a lot of people think this was a setup. I have my suspicions, too. It seems a little too odd. He's middle eastern. He must know that there is paranoia in our country because middle easterners blew up Boston recently, the 911 incident, and many other incidents. Yet, he puts together something that has a tick-tock, and takes it to his teacher to show her his "clock." He had to know that the tick-tock would be investigated. He had to. At the least, his parents would have known (he most certainly showed it to his parents0.

Now that the family is moving to a ME country, that supports the suspicion even more. So I think that has a lot to do with some people's statements about the young man and his family. It all just doesn't add up to what it is represented to be, some people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 02:16 PM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,694,447 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think a lot of people think this was a setup. I have my suspicions, too. It seems a little too odd. He's middle eastern. He must know that there is paranoia in our country because middle easterners blew up Boston recently, the 911 incident, and many other incidents. Yet, he puts together something that has a tick-tock, and takes it to his teacher to show her his "clock." He had to know that the tick-tock would be investigated. He had to. At the least, his parents would have known (he most certainly showed it to his parents0.

Now that the family is moving to a ME country, that supports the suspicion even more. So I think that has a lot to do with some people's statements about the young man and his family. It all just doesn't add up to what it is represented to be, some people think.

Of course it was a setup. Moving to a different state requires thought and planning. Never mind leaving the country, you just don't decide in a month to do that.

You could tell this kid was enjoying the coverage and the family was behind it. This was all planned out.

And I withheld judgement until I saw the "clock", it didn't look like a clock at all, which was also part of the plan, this was clearly all staged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 02:22 PM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,694,447 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Why did his family even move here? They obviously had no interest in assimilating and becoming American citizens. Something is really wrong with our immigration system, even the the legal kind.

Why do you think? I think it is pretty clear, this was the plan from the beginning.

Those awful teachers, to take any action against this poor kid, of course if he blew up the school, than it would be those awful teachers why didn't they take any action.

They moved here for this reason only, the mission is over, so now they go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top