U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 01:00 PM

31,024 posts, read 13,578,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yup! That's exactly what the OP is doing...getting money off of each click. Good topic/Bad original poster. Looks like he/she is constantly bumping this thread up as well. I would advise you to inform the mods using that clickly on the upper right, as this is quasi-TOS related and his/her behavior can be "modified" or sent to permanent banned camp. I would advise anyone also, clicking on the original link can also disclose ISP info, potentially where you live or what business you are posting from, info to the original poster. Let the mods know....
Huh? The OP's link does not refer to a pay for click site, it links to a blog. I have no idea where you are going with this, but you really should be careful before you start accusing people of fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 01:05 PM

13,562 posts, read 7,411,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Huh? The OP's link does not refer to a pay for click site, it links to a blog. I have no idea where you are going with this, but you really should be careful before you start accusing people of fraud.
The link is to the OP's own blog.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:10 PM

20,551 posts, read 16,619,414 times
Quote:
People who have sponsors on their blog page get paid when people click on the blog page (because the advertiser knows his ad on the page was seen). I did not look at this poster's blog though, but in general this is the way it works.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:22 PM

31,024 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
People who have sponsors on their blog page get paid when people click on the blog page (because the advertiser knows his ad on the page was seen). I did not look at this poster's blog though, but in general this is the way it works.
I used to have click through links to Amazon on a blog I had over a decade ago. If someone clicked the link my referral code showed up and if they bought a book I got a few cents. Amazon didn't care if a million people landed on my blog, they only paid for click throughs that resulted in a purchase, but I can't find any advertising on the blog the OP posted so as hard as I try I can't see that he was making any effort to profit off of the thread.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:52 PM

12,284 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
The site has advertising, it appears to be a "pay per click" site. We also have the potential privacy issue.

I am confused about your reference to fraud, where did you get that from, I made no reference to it? What it is, is a potential City-Data TOS issue - it's in the hands of the Moderators and Administrators of this site now on if the OP will be allowed to continue. If so, case closed and they can delete this line of discussion and the OP can carry on, if not, well - look for the "not a member" under the OPs name. I would in turn advise YOU to discuss it no further lest you get the same(again - TOS issue).

Old 12-06-2015, 01:52 PM

13,562 posts, read 7,411,090 times
Quote:
I used to have click through links to Amazon on a blog I had over a decade ago. If someone clicked the link my referral code showed up and if they bought a book I got a few cents. Amazon didn't care if a million people landed on my blog, they only paid for click throughs that resulted in a purchase, but I can't find any advertising on the blog the OP posted so as hard as I try I can't see that he was making any effort to profit off of the thread.
There are a couple of ads on there. It is odd that nearly every thread the OP starts links his/her blog in the OP. Even more odd that the poster will not be honest about it. It is indeed a sneaky way to drive traffic to their blog.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:40 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,163,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Amazon is also censuring REAL reviews. I recently submitted a review for a product that arrived with vital parts missing. I spent a lot of frustrating time in phone calls with the manufacturer trying to get the missing parts. The product was useless without the missing parts. So, after I finally (after 8 weeks) got the parts, I wrote a review about this experience saying almost exactly what I said above (with a few more details about the missing vital parts).

Amazon sent me an automated message saying that the review didn't meet their rules for reviews, even though the review did. I never had this happen with any other review I have written on Amazon. I replied to the email asking for more information so I could correct what ever they felt wasn't within their rules, but a week later, I haven't heard a peep from Amazon. So it appears that, to a certain extent, Amazon may now be censuring negative reviews.

Because of this, I won't waste my time writing Amazon reviews from now on and I'm going to ignore Amazon reviews as well. Actually, with so many internet retailers, I think I'll just buy elsewhere.
I'd say the reason your review was rejected was because you focused on the manufacturer and their poor customer service...does that sound about right? The product reviews are for the products only.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,163,097 times
I really hate it when people write a review about a product but their review is really more about slow delivery or a banged up box. Just tell me if the widget does what it's supposed to do!

Old 12-13-2015, 08:24 AM

331 posts, read 305,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I really hate it when people write a review about a product but their review is really more about slow delivery or a banged up box. Just tell me if the widget does what it's supposed to do!
I've seen my fair share of those. It really is annoying!

Old 12-13-2015, 08:35 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Or those who complain about the product not because it's a bad product but because they wanted something different.

Example:
A review of a guidebook to Yellowstone National Park that didn't have enough information about hiking - most of the book was about roadside attractions, lodges, vistas, history of the park, campgrounds, and so forth. Well, then... that person should have bought one of the many hiking guides to Yellowstone, not a general guidebook to the park. The product wasn't deficient - they bought the wrong product. That's like buying a jacket instead of a rainshell and then blaming the manufacturer for the fact that it isn't waterproof.

That said, the reviews that are illogical or motivated by spite or are just trying to push the product are usually obvious. You can read between the lines and get a fair amount of decent information from reading a number of reviews of a product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or