U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:28 PM

84 posts, read 53,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually thats kind of a interesting thing, Amazon and sellers want reviews-so they give amazon a couple free items, and Amazon has a group of people who have a history of giving good reviews-both positive and negative, and they give out random "free" items to people-the cost being that they review them. The end result is some pretty useful reviews, some of them trashing the product. So its not as shady as you think, and the end result is that people that do good reviews-not necessarily positive ones, review the item. Additionally they are up front about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 01:33 PM

2,631 posts, read 1,940,947 times
I just hired a mover who had outstanding Yelp reviews. Even before they came out to move me, the price increased 30%. The guy lied on the phone. $350 turned into $500 once he e-mailed the estimate.

I did inform him that I'm a big "Yelper" and if the move and cost didn't jive, he may as well hang the "We Move" sign in the junk yard.

I'm going to let them do the move. I have the dough, couldn't really care less, but this dude is up for one heck of a bad review - and they haven't even done the move yet.

But Yelp manipulates their reviews - actually decides which reviews come up based on "most useful." Based on that reviewer's reviews. If you give all raving reviews, your reviews show up - if not - you have to go up to the top to get "all reviews."

I have nothing better to do all day except go on the net and out these jerks. I have good writing and spelling skills. If even one person learns from my reviews, good. I don't expect much.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:59 PM

3,856 posts, read 1,991,742 times
I've written hundreds of reviews for Amazon, but I buy most of those products in a store. Just because a review isn't label "verified purchase" doesn't mean the reviewer didn't buy the product somewhere else.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:09 PM

331 posts, read 305,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I actually write more positive reviews than negative, especially in regard to a business, but nothing is ever totally great...if a review has only good things and no negatives at all, I don't believe it. I tend to disregard the really gushing reviews and the really negative ones Sometimes, especially with businesses, the really negative ones are actually written by competitors.
Good points. Either extreme screams "phony."

Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 PM

589 posts, read 538,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
But Yelp manipulates their reviews - actually decides which reviews come up based on "most useful." Based on that reviewer's reviews. If you give all raving reviews, your reviews show up - if not - you have to go up to the top to get "all reviews."
I noticed that, too. It's why I never pay attention to a Yelp average rating. The filtered reviews are even deleted after a while (probably because most of them are negative).

Old 10-25-2015, 10:38 PM

8,143 posts, read 7,654,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Thank you for that, best laugh I've had the n a week, possible since my last banana and that was even longer than a week ago.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:14 PM

1,731 posts, read 879,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
now that's funny stuff right there!

Old 10-26-2015, 04:14 AM

7,245 posts, read 12,698,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Question to the OP. Why do most of the threads you start link to the same blogspot? Howtounderstandpeople blog does not ever provide sources for their stories. What is your connection to the blog?
OP, any answer? Considering that there are other legitimate sources for the story (I just googled it), why the link to some random blog (especially one that does not include sources, which is a really bad practice and one major reason I rarely read blogs)?

Shadowne's unanswered question made me curious, so I just took 2 minutes to check ... of the first 15 "starting a new thread" posts by the OP that came up, 14 linked to his, er, the blog. No links to any other sites.

Kind of ironic in a thread like this one about "truth in advertising" ...

Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 AM

29,546 posts, read 15,487,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
I don't put much stock in reviews that don't have "Verified Purchase" next to it. Especially reviews that are extremely glowing or extremely negative.
^^^^ This.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,517,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
You now see tons of Amazon reviews where reviewers were given a product for free (or at a steep discount) by the seller/manufacturer in exchange for giving a purportedly honest and unbiased opinion. It is human nature to give a good review in such instance because (i) the reviewer wants more free stuff from the seller/manufacturer to review in the future, (ii) the reviewer is probably very grateful for getting a free/discounted stuff, and (iii) the "value" assessment for the product is skewed because it is free/discounted. The reviews all disclose that they got the product for free or with a steep discount, but that is not apparent unless you actually read the entire review and if you just look at the star ratings, you'd never be able to tell.

To me, that's a rather shady practice but they do it openly and Amazon seems to condone it.

Mick
Yep. I now look for verified Amazon users that have written reviews on various other products. And I make sure to read the entire review. There are some products where literally almost everyone but one or two people have gotten a product for free and make that disclaimer and it annoys me because I feel like had they paid their rating might change. If everyone is saying they got it for free, it's like I feel like I can't trust that their pov would be the same had they paid for it and had certain results.

But I've definitely noticed that Amazon reviews have changed-now companies can literally have employees post several of the same 5 star reviews, people are getting s*** for free and are probably giving reviews that are influenced by that, and then you only have a small handful of verified users that seem legit.

People who make decisions based on reviews will be salty if they use Amazon hoping to get a 4 or 5 star product, only to discover that the product is at best worth a 3 star rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or