Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:35 PM

743 posts, read 766,432 times

Advertisements

http://6abc.com/news/homeless-couple...tart-/1048858/

Must be nice ... make all the wrong choices, bring kids into the world you can't afford, abuse drugs and you'll have a bunch of naïve fools reward you.

The female is currently several months pregnant. I feel sorry for their new neighbors.

Last edited by Steinish; 10-24-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 03:38 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
More on their background.

Philadelphia parents tragic past that forced them to live in a cardboard box | Daily Mail Online

Probably a hundred families could have been helped with the money raised instead of just renting a house and paying for utilities for a year, etc. for ONE family. (I mean by paying for a car repair, paying the remainder of the rent for one month to avoid getting evicted, paying for groceries for a couple of weeks, etc.)

No wonder they look in the photo like they won the jackpot -- in my view, they certainly did!!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:33 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Hopefully, they'll turn their lives around.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:07 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
What happens after the year's up if they're still unemployed?

Something tells me we'll be reading about squatters then.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:02 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo
Hopefully, they'll turn their lives around.
Yes I do hope so!!!

Poor family (Poor baby on the way)

Old 10-26-2015, 03:50 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
All the sympathy for them and their 2 yr old was found wandering around in a park? If they show this type of responsibility for their own children - imagine what the house will look like after a year. And she's pregnant again - maybe someone should introduce them to Planned Parenthood. Although I sympathize with their plight if this had been a hard working couple trying to keep the roof over their head and feed the family - who's child was found wandering around in the dark - Social Services would have been at the door - removing the children. The family would then probable lose everything fighting the system to get the kids back not handed a house, food, utilities for a year.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:02 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
So many people are so pissed off if someone gets " something for nothing". Is this feeling born of greed, envy, injustice?

A family of losers catches a break and everyone is pissed off? Why? Did it deny you a break? Do you need one?

Please, I'm interested in your personal reasons for having any sort of anger response to this story. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:06 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
All the sympathy for them and their 2 yr old was found wandering around in a park? If they show this type of responsibility for their own children - imagine what the house will look like after a year.
Well, they lived in a make shift shelter made out of cardboard box. There are no child-proof locks on such a shelter because, you know, it's made out of paper.

Frankly, I would never rent out my house to a homeless couple with 3 kids, even with all the rent pre-paid, but I suspect the owner of the house is down with this because, I surmise, the house is not exactly awesome.

Quote:
And she's pregnant again - maybe someone should introduce them to Planned Parenthood.
For contraceptives or abortion? It would be easy for them to go to Planned Parenthood . . . . if they had a car (and money for insurance, gas, registration, property tax, etc.)

Quote:
Although I sympathize with their plight if this had been a hard working couple trying to keep the roof over their head and feed the family - who's child was found wandering around in the dark - Social Services would have been at the door - removing the children. The family would then probable lose everything fighting the system to get the kids back not handed a house, food, utilities for a year.
Yup, they got lucky that their kids did not get removed.

Mick

Old 10-26-2015, 06:27 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
So many people are so pissed off if someone gets " something for nothing". Is this feeling born of greed, envy, injustice?

A family of losers catches a break and everyone is pissed off? Why? Did it deny you a break? Do you need one?

Please, I'm interested in your personal reasons for having any sort of anger response to this story. Thanks.
I am angry at anyone who gets "something for nothing" (with the possible exception of something like a lottery or raffle in which anyone who pays for a ticket gets a chance at winning) because of all the people who work their whole lives and do the "responsible" things and then ends up having to work even into their 70's because of bad luck that was NOT of their own doing. No, this does not apply to me, but I am angry on behalf of everyone to whom this has happened, and there are thousands of people like that out there. I am angry at the injustice of this situation, plus (as I said in my earlier post on this thread) a hundred families could have been helped with the monetary equivalent instead of just one family.

I know that life is not fair, of course -- but that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:48 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Great response! I don't understand the anger about this either. We should let the kids live in a cardboard box because their parents made bad choices? Where did our compassion go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events