Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,514,478 times

Advertisements

The World Health Organization, they say processed meats cause cancer (in excess so do a lot of things).

Their solution?

The Sudan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:18 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,745,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

My father is 86 and still alive. He stopped eating all red meat the the late 70s.
My mother ate nothing but salads, cottage cheese, fruit, fish, chicken...."dieted" her whole life and always watched what she ate. Died of a heart attack in her 60s.

My father is now 80. His blood work is perfect. His colon is polyp-free. He is very, very mentally sharp. He does complex mathematical problems in his head "just for fun". For his entire life, he has eaten, and still eats daily, one 1/3 pound hamburger EVERY. DAY. OF. HIS. LIFE. He despises chicken. He does not care for vegetables. He grows a vegetable garden, but refuses to eat any. He gives them all away to the neighbors (or me).

Forgot to say that he also loves his summer sausage. He goes through one of those summer sausage "logs" about every 2 weeks.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:50 PM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
The World Health Organization, they say processed meats cause cancer (in excess so do a lot of things).

Their solution?

The Sudan.
And your solution to Sudan is bologna sandwiches?

Old 10-30-2015, 05:53 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,558,673 times
Leave my bologna, hot dogs, sausages, and salami alone you god-damned pc-ers!!!!
That's all I gotta say....

Old 10-30-2015, 11:28 AM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Leave my bologna, hot dogs, sausages, and salami alone you god-damned pc-ers!!!!
That's all I gotta say....
Hyperbole. They're not going to touch your bologna, hot dogs, sausages, and salami. But they are going to give people a little educational information so they can make their own decisions based on facts.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:22 PM

16,892 posts, read 15,150,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My mother ate nothing but salads, cottage cheese, fruit, fish, chicken...."dieted" her whole life and always watched what she ate. Died of a heart attack in her 60s.

My father is now 80. His blood work is perfect. His colon is polyp-free. He is very, very mentally sharp. He does complex mathematical problems in his head "just for fun". For his entire life, he has eaten, and still eats daily, one 1/3 pound hamburger EVERY. DAY. OF. HIS. LIFE. He despises chicken. He does not care for vegetables. He grows a vegetable garden, but refuses to eat any. He gives them all away to the neighbors (or me).

Forgot to say that he also loves his summer sausage. He goes through one of those summer sausage "logs" about every 2 weeks.
My father is in his mid-70s and is still as sharp as a dagger, and still rides his bike some 10-15 miles multiple times per week. For as long as I've known him, he's always been a big steak eater, loves ham, loves pork chops, drinks beer (like 3 a day), and doesn't eat much fruit and vegetables.
He has never had any major illness whatsoever.

I don't each much of that stuff simply out of choice, but have to admit that these studies sometimes make me laugh.
We know nitrates are cancerous. How is this news?

Old 10-30-2015, 05:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,587,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

We are all individuals and we all VARY, don't we … ??? So, yeah … Advice given to an entire population based on "studies" may -- or may not -- have anything to do with ME or YOU …

(One of my favorite such population cognitive dissonances is the well intended advice, "Don't bother buying a *Powerball* ticket … You have a better chance of being hit by lightning than winning at *Powerball* …" … But … Ummmmm … The very same wise advisers will tell you, "GET OFF THE LAKE; GOLF COURSE; PLAYGROUND … !!! There's a storm, and you could be hit by lightning … !!!" … I dunno … *shrug* ...)

Old 10-30-2015, 05:59 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,663,749 times
People would be overall healthier if they greatly reduced, or even eliminated (not likely for most), their consumption of animal protein.

For one thing, a lot of kidney problems could certainly be avoided that way:

(5:53 video by Michael Greger, MD)
Which Type of Protein is Better for Our Kidneys? | NutritionFacts.org

Old 10-30-2015, 06:14 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
I'm still waiting for researchers to announce that water is cancerous.
LOL..Well..actually depending on where you live it may very well..

Just to mention a few~~

http://www.nrdc.org/health/kids/ocar/chap7.Children: The Most Vulnerable Among Us
snip~
Quote:
Unhealthy drinking water affects children in different ways than it does adults. There is cause for special concern for the health of children who drink tap water. Legal standards for most waterborne contaminants generally have been set based on the health effects of pollutants on average adults; consequently, the health of millions of people -- including infants, children, pregnant women and their fetuses, the elderly, and the chronically ill -may not be protected. To compound matters, infants and children drink more than two and a half times as much water as adults as a proportion of their body weight.[9] An infant living solely on formula consumes about one-seventh of its own weight of water each day, which would correspond to approximately three gallons of water for a 155-pound adult man.[10]
http://www.globalresearch.ca/monsant...439355Evidence of harm to health
Just a small snip~~ Yikes!!

Quote:
Monsanto and the European Commission (EC) have known about birth defects since the 1980s. Industry studies found statistically significant skeletal and/or visceral abnormalities as well as reduced viability and increase in spontaneous abortions in rats and rabbits exposed to high doses of glyphosate. Lower doses were later shown to cause dilated hearts. The EC dismissed all the findings.
Independent studies have since found caudal vertebrae loss in rats treated with sub-lethal doses of the herbicide; as well as craniofacial abnormalities, increased embryonic mortality and endocrine disruption, abnormal onset of puberty, and abnormal sexual behaviour and sperm count in male offspring of mothers exposed during gestation.
GM soybean-fed female rats gave birth to excessive numbers of severely stunted pups, with over half of the litter dead by three weeks, and the surviving pups were sterile.
Non-mammalian animals exposed to glyphosate resulted in increased gonad size, increased mortality, craniofacial abnormalities correlating with abnormal retinoic acid signalling, and reduced egg viability.
In vitro exposure to glyphosate resulted in endocrine disruption and death of cells of the testis, placenta, and umbilical cord
WHO | Arsenic
Key facts

Quote:
Arsenic is naturally present at high levels in the groundwater of a number of countries.
Arsenic is highly toxic in its inorganic form.
Contaminated water used for drinking, food preparation and irrigation of food crops poses the greatest threat to public health from arsenic.
Long-term exposure to arsenic from drinking-water and food can cause cancer and skin lesions. It has also been associated with developmental effects, cardiovascular disease, neurotoxicity and diabetes.
The most important action in affected communities is the prevention of further exposure to arsenic by provision of a safe water supply.
Too Much of a Good Thing? Nitrate from Nitrogen Fertilizers and Cancer
Quote:
U.S. POPULATION EXPOSURE TO NITRATE IN DRINKING WATER
Populations living in agricultural areas typically have the highest exposures to drinking water contaminated with nitrate, with households using private wells for their drinking water often having exposures several-fold above households using public supplies. The United States (U.S.) Geological Survey assessed available private well measurements across the U.S. between 1970 and 1992 and found that 9 percent of samples exceeded the regulatory limit for nitrate /3/. In agricultural areas, it is estimated that 22 percent of private wells exceed the MCL in contrast to less than five percent of public water supplies. As nitrate levels in water resources have risen, cities like Des Moines, Iowa have been forced to use expensive energy-intensive treatment systems to remove nitrate in order to comply with the MCL. With the increasing production of corn for fuel, nitrate levels in our water resources will likely continue to increase, resulting in higher exposures. When nitrate levels in water supplies are below the MCL, the primary source of individual exposure to nitrate comes mainly from diets high in green leafy and root vegetables; average daily intakes have been estimated to be in the range 30-130 mg nitrate/day /5/. Drinking water can contribute the majority of nitrate intake when levels are near the MCL /6/.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:31 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,801,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
We only get to eat a finite number of meals in this life. It's important to enjoy each one.
That's what I think. Sure there's more to life than food but food is part of it. I would love to travel more and part of the traveling experience is to eat the food of the area to me which isn't always healthy.
Unfortunately I feel like I can't eat anything I want because I have gastritis. I think while food can be bad..I don't think it's the worst thing you can do at least not by itself. The worst thing aside from being addicted to drugs would be stress. It's a shame because stress is pretty much unavoidable. I'm sure my diet did not help but I think if I didn't have so much stress in my life my diet wouldn't have been an issue. I think if you can exercise regularly, do not over eat too many times and manage your stress then you have a good chance of being able to eat what you want provided you do not have genetic disposition to illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events