Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:16 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's happening regardless. The only difference is that cops are being paid to do nothing and they aren't being productive. If they aren't being productive, then firing them makes no difference and that's tax dollars that can go to more pressing matters like education in urban areas which would have a positive effect on crime rates in the first place(why else are crime rates half of what they were in the 90s?)
WOW … !!!

(1) Cops are bad bad bad because they're too aggressive …

(2) Cops are bad bad bad because they're not aggressive enough …

huh

(I hope you never have to dial *911* …)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I do believe that the clear majority of police officers are dedicated and do the right thing. And they have a dangerous job that is now made harder. They have my sympathy.

On the other hand, there are the minority "Neanderthal cops" who don't belong in community policing and ought to be sent over to Syria to fight ISIS. And they are the ones who have created the problem, because now we suddenly are able to see what they are doing. I have no sympathy for them, only for their victims, and for the other policemen who are suffering because of them.

And on yet "another hand", I see no general movement in the country for police to work on solving the issues. And it's that old scenario that if you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you always got. The good guys need to step forward and break the cycle.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,993 times
Quote:
Nah, not really. Stop and Frisk is really only in a small number of cities, like NYC.
Actually SQF in NYC is down so dramatically that the perps carry around guns again. They know the cops will not stop them. Oh your statement that just fire the cops is incredibly naïve. The cops will just be reactive instead of proactive. They will do the bare minimum. NOT A SINGLE COP WILL BE FIRED!!!!!! The funny thing is the ones that will be hurt the most are the minorities that in poor neighborhoods that hate the cops.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I do believe that the clear majority of police officers are dedicated and do the right thing. And they have a dangerous job that is now made harder. They have my sympathy.

On the other hand, there are the minority "Neanderthal cops" who don't belong in community policing and ought to be sent over to Syria to fight ISIS. And they are the ones who have created the problem, because now we suddenly are able to see what they are doing. I have no sympathy for them, only for their victims, and for the other policemen who are suffering because of them.

And on yet "another hand", I see no general movement in the country for police to work on solving the issues. And it's that old scenario that if you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you always got. The good guys need to step forward and break the cycle.
As I said before all cops should be wearing body cameras. Good for the cop and good for the citizen. A win win for everyone involved!!! There is a start for you!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:30 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Unfortunately its not just police incidents. I have seen it at car accidents where people were trying to video the situation instead on helping someone who obviously needed assistance (car-bicycle incidents). More prominently is fights where a victim is overwhelmed and onlookers are looking to post material on a website.

Have argued the sad state of litigious America with lawyers. They feel its okay because everyone has 'rights'-which are now 'evidenced'.---Too bad Samaritans are punished for trying to help...so people get beaten while being filmed, and they get a check MINUS 40% for taxes and 30 % for legal fees.
I'm surprised that no one has been mistakenly shot by a cop while attempting to film a police action.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:58 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I don't like tickets or watching my foolish friends roughed up but I been around long enough yes long enough to know what a world is like without cops
Me too.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:02 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Actually SQF in NYC is down so dramatically that the perps carry around guns again. They know the cops will not stop them. Oh your statement that just fire the cops is incredibly naïve. The cops will just be reactive instead of proactive. They will do the bare minimum. NOT A SINGLE COP WILL BE FIRED!!!!!! The funny thing is the ones that will be hurt the most are the minorities that in poor neighborhoods that hate the cops.
My relatives in Baltimore are already living it. It's bad, my cousin no longer feels safe and is talking about moving. Her brother-in-law, a black cop, is so worried about responding to a call, trying to do his job, and ending up sued, or worse, in jail that he now hates his job.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:04 PM

23,498 posts, read 12,502,824 times
Quote:
It's happening regardless. The only difference is that cops are being paid to do nothing and they aren't being productive. If they aren't being productive, then firing them makes no difference and that's tax dollars that can go to more pressing matters like education in urban areas which would have a positive effect on crime rates in the first place(why else are crime rates half of what they were in the 90s?)
The cops aren't doing "nothing", there is a difference in being productive and being proactive. The cops are still doing their job, when they get the calls they go, when they see an obvious crime being committed they'll act. But, in some instance they aren't going above and beyond to deal with possible criminals .. for example - investigating a group of people that are standing around and might be buying and selling drugs. And why should they be proactive instead of just productive when if something goes wrong, when it's unknown what exactly happened, if it's the cops fault, the perps fault, or just an accident the higher-ups throw them to the wolves -- take Baltimore for example, and even the whole PD in Ferguson after the GJ found Wilson to be in the right. I, for one, don't blame cops in some areas for being productive but not proactive.

Quote:
As I said before all cops should be wearing body cameras. Good for the cop and good for the citizen. A win win for everyone involved!!! There is a start for you!
Yes. They would have had body cams in Baltimore long before FG. Fitting the cops with body cams had been voted on and approved only to be vetoed by Rawlings-Blake, for some unknown reason. (though now she's for body cams, and making it sound like they should have had them long ago , the friggen drama queen)

Old 10-26-2015, 10:13 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
I've said that all along.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've said that all along.
A couple of more solutions you can stop all productivity quotas and targeted training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events