U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:39 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,217,449 times

Advertisements

Does this topic have any impact on the "five second rule"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 09:56 PM

373 posts, read 289,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I judge public rest rooms with a critical eye.

1-Do they appear clean?
2-Is there soap?
3-Is the water hot?
4-Are there appropriate materials for drying hands?
1,2,and 4 are important. Whether the water is warm or cold does not make any difference.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:05 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,300,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Kids have to develop an immune system. Kindergarten is a Petri dish. Don't sweat a few germs from Chipotle. E-coli is what you have to watch out for in little ones and that means thoroughly cooked foods. No medium rare burgers, or raw spinach for junior.
are you kidding? shigella is not a little 24-hour bug. Adults have been hospitalized. A week or more of bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting with a 4 month old infant (who is on the low side of weight too)? Absolutely terrifying. NOT really the best way to develop an immune system

Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 AM

11,626 posts, read 17,035,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquring81 View Post
In addition to the point ytheyou've made, just wanted to adstrapsd a point about thoseabout fold-down trays in bathrooms that are designed for changing babies. Lots of people use them as shelves, and put their packages, purses, even spare clothes on them while changing.

I read several studies about the spread of Hepatitis A, which is spread through getting fecal matter from someone with Hep A on your hands. Turns out several outbreaks were traced back to these baby-changing shelves, which often aren't cleaned, even when the rest of the bathroom is wiped down.

Personally, I won't touch them for any reason. If I were traveling with a child and needed to use these shelves, I'd use sanitizing wipes before I'd put my baby on these.
You are taking about the fold down "changing table"? They are available in the larger stalls? Or are you taking about some other "tray"?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:31 AM

13,472 posts, read 9,593,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
are you kidding? shigella is not a little 24-hour bug. Adults have been hospitalized. A week or more of bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting with a 4 month old infant (who is on the low side of weight too)? Absolutely terrifying. NOT really the best way to develop an immune system
I wasn't talking about Shigella. I was talking about being terrified that your kid is going to catch something. Thankfully, e-coli and shigella outbreaks are rare enough that they make the news.

A four month old is not going to be eating fish tacos anyway, and if you and hubby practice good hygiene, the kid is fine. Man, I remember when my first one was little....I used to freak out all the time.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:27 AM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I find hand shaking a revolting custom. I'd prefer we just bowed slightly like the Japanese.
I SO dislike shaking hands. I'm not a germaphobic, but after I shake someone's hand (especially with certain people who give me bad vibes) I feel like I want to run to a tap and wash with hot water and soap. I know money is far dirtier than any one person's hand, but if given the choice, I'd rather handle money.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:29 AM

2,550 posts, read 1,623,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
If only the politicians that made it a sanctuary city would contract it
I Repped you for that one!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:13 AM

10,383 posts, read 7,467,722 times
I can't even touch a menu in a restaurant without washing my hands after - before I eat. I touch NOTHING in a restroom! People are gross!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:15 AM

13,472 posts, read 9,593,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Does this topic have any impact on the "five second rule"?
Not unless you dropped your food in poo.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:18 AM

761 posts, read 585,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Nearly 200 sickened by Shigella outbreak in San Francisco area: officials | Reuters

What happens when the help don't wash their hands after pooping.

This type of illness comes from ingesting fecal matter.
Poppi, he's a little sloppy.

A few years back I went to a local Mexican restaurant that had pretty decent food.
I went in to drain the dragon while the food was being prepared.
As I was washing my hands, with soap and water, a stall door opened behind me and out comes a worker with an apron on......heads straight for the door without washing his hands. I didn't know if he was the cook, the dishwasher or whatever, but I took my wet paper towels and opened the men's room door with them and then dropped them and promptly left the venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events