Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:34 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Yikes. My husband is travelling to Bay Area next week - obviously staying at hotel and eating out. I'm kinda terrified. I have a total and absolute horrific phobia of all stomach ailments period, and much more so now that we have a new baby in the house. I'll keep harping on him to be careful and wash hands, but who knows how his food will be handled, plus he's not nearly as OCD as I am on the topic (for example, not many people realize how dirty restaurant menus must be and that you should wash your hands AFTER you've ordered. And use paper towels to open the door handle on the way back. Etc.)
Kids have to develop an immune system. Kindergarten is a Petri dish. Don't sweat a few germs from Chipotle. E-coli is what you have to watch out for in little ones and that means thoroughly cooked foods. No medium rare burgers, or raw spinach for junior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 03:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,288 times
After we humans have extincted ourselves, the bacteria and fungi will continue to prosper, as they have for a couple thousand million years ..

Old 10-27-2015, 03:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Kids have to develop an immune system. Kindergarten is a Petri dish. Don't sweat a few germs from Chipotle. E-coli is what you have to watch out for in little ones and that means thoroughly cooked foods. No medium rare burgers, or raw spinach for junior.
It also means food handlers washing their hands after they use the bathroom. E-coli is everywhere.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It also means food handlers washing their hands after they use the bathroom. E-coli is everywhere.
Mercifully, it's not. Salmonella is the one that gets most of us sooner or later. We usually just think it's the stomach flu because it's mild in most healthy adults. Not a picnic, but not a life changing event for most of us.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:12 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,130 times
Thats one of the main reason I dont buy food from the TACO TRUCKS, ever wonder where those people go to use the rest room? probably have a bucket or something to use for a rest room and who's going to tell them to wash their hands? they also handle the money and the food without washing hands, maybe just use the same dirty towel to wipe their hands?

I doubt the food from the taco truck or any street food vendor is sanitary, they probably reheat the left overs over and over until it's all gone.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Mercifully, it's not. Salmonella is the one that gets most of us sooner or later. We usually just think it's the stomach flu because it's mild in most healthy adults. Not a picnic, but not a life changing event for most of us.
It's in everyone's colon.
E. coli Bacteria Infection Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
"E. coli (Escherichia coli) is the name of a germ, or bacterium, that lives in the digestive tracts of humans and animals. . . . You get an E. coli infection by coming into contact with the feces, or stool, of humans or animals. This can happen when you drink water or eat food that has been contaminated by feces. . . . The bacteria can also spread from one person to another, usually when an infected person does not wash his or her hands well after a bowel movement."

Plus much more.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,986 times
Don't forget the fold over double wipers and the ultra conservationists who are into the 2 sheet wipe.

You ain't wiping anything with 2 sheets, you're smearing.

Come on.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:47 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Thats one of the main reason I dont buy food from the TACO TRUCKS, ever wonder where those people go to use the rest room? probably have a bucket or something to use for a rest room and who's going to tell them to wash their hands? they also handle the money and the food without washing hands, maybe just use the same dirty towel to wipe their hands?
Exactly!
I will let other folks become ecstatic about the food from those trucks (Tacos, and various other types of food).
I am more focused on the sanitary standards within those trucks, which--in the vast majority of cases--are non-existent.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:14 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I was at the gym the other day and I was washing my hands after my workout. I am always worried about picking up some sort of cold . Anyway I see this guy walk out of the crapper and he just leaves to go work out. Totally disgusting!!
I just got back from a professional conference and visited the ladies room. I was washing my hands and another woman came out of a stall and LEFT. Not one look at the sink! You'd think she would have seen me washing up and done the same seeing someone else washing up even if she usually didn't just to show that she was mindful of the need for hygiene, but no, she just walked out. I hope I didn't touch anything she handled in the hotel! Awful!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:19 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I judge public rest rooms with a critical eye.

1-Do they appear clean?
2-Is there soap?
3-Is the water hot?
4-Are there appropriate materials for drying hands?

Is there a sign that says "Employees must wash hands"? If this is the case, and its a restaurant, then you know employees use this restroom. If items 1-4 above are not present, you have to question if the hands preparing your food are clean.

Washing your hands:

Use soap
Use warm water
Scrub between fingers and nail beds.
Scrub at least long enough to sing happy birthday in your head.
Don't touch anything after you wash your hands except the paper towels.
Use the paper towel to turn off the water.
Use the paper towel to open the door to exit if necessary.
On the way out, practice your basketball shot with the wadded paper towel into the trash receptacle.

Wash often.
Don't pick your nose
Don't pick your butt
Sneeze into your elbow
What really got me was several years ago I was leaving a gas station after paying inside and a guy was walking ahead of me toward a gas pump...scratching his (sorry) 'crack'. I was horrified when he went to a pump and started putting gas in his car! I thought of all the people who use the pump and was sick. I have NEVER been without hand sanitizer since! Ugh! Also, a study was done and it was found that 75% of grocery cart handles had fecal matter on them. Can hardly stand shopping and when I do I buy small amounts generally carry my items. As for restaurants, I never use a salad bar. Years ago I was shocked to hear that the plastic overhead portion was called a "sneeze guard". I just can't. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events