U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:10 PM

15,978 posts, read 6,292,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
An easy read on the subject that very much reflects the reality of wolf breed differences in WY, too.

Native Rocky Mountain Wolves v. Introduced Canadian Gray Wolves
First, whoever wrote Native Rocky Mountain Wolves v. Introduced Canadian Gray Wolves should learn to spell. An example:

PRE-INTRODUCTION RESIDENT WOLVES: WOLVES OBSERVED THREW “1995″ IN IDAHO

Besides being sloppy this hatchet job appears agenda-driven. Given the small number of so-called "native wolves" they would have fallen victim to inbreeding, much as have the wolves in Isle Royale National Park.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 PM

4,983 posts, read 6,387,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I suspect as they evolve further they may start taking an interest in larger prey. I just don't think that pets can provide them a steady diet. And if they take feral cats and feral dogs, more power to them.

That honestly is a problem. I think that governments should start letting people shoot at coyotes to re-instill their fear of humans. If they lose their fear of man we have a damnable problem. If they avoid us it's a different story.

That's the way it should be. And I don't think coyotes should be protected, outside of preserves.
There are plenty of coyotes here in suburban SoCal, but they are rarely a problem. Where I live in South Orange County, they mostly feed on canyon wildlife; or on small hillside prey.

Rarely, do coyotes attack humans. So infrequently does it occur, that it is newsworthy when it happens.

People are, however, always advised to keep their small pets inside, and to also keep their small dogs on a short lease when walking them. It's also foolhardy to let housecats roam around, or to put your small dog in the backyard, since either could easily become a meal for Joe Coyote.

Nor, is it wise to leave pet food in the backyard, for obvious reasons.

I sometimes encounter coyotes in the early morning when walking my dog, but she's large and they scamper away.

On the other than, one of my neighbors recently told me that a pack of coyotes had tried to encircle his small dog when he was walking her. He managed to scare them off. The same pack later ran away in fear when my dog and I approached.

Occasionally, you do hear of someone's small pet, usually a cat, having been eaten by a coyote.

FWIW, I don't know if any of them are hybrids. They look pretty similar to one another, and like "common" coyotes.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:33 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,572,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know what you mean. The Western wolf reintroductions were Canis Lupus. They were from Alberta and British Columbia populations but they were not different species.

As for the "coy-dog" or "coy-wolf" man did not create that mating. It is not the same thing as a "liger" or for that matter a mule. To my mind the term "species" is a scientific one that may or may not always accurately describe the divisions among the animal kingdom. Look, racists in our country and for that matter Adolph Hitler argued respectively that blacks and Jews were different species.

I have long suspected that the friendly Golden Retriever you pet every day is a lot more "wolf" than most people want to admit.
I have two shepard mixes. His mom was a medium terrier. He comes almost to my waist and most think he's pure shepard. She's a dumped puppy find, but she looks like a malinous except she's small. But put both of them in the yard, and especially with the play you see a lot of wolf in both. They're also extremely smart and assume everything in the household, people, dogs and cats, are their pack. But these are my first 'big' dogs, and I love the sense of wildness and wolfness in them.

I think its inevitable that species will cross and learn to survive in new environments, and so long as cross breeding is possible it will happen. Just as it did with humans and their genetic cousins. Since the breaking of the neanderthal genetic code, its been shown that some very key parts of what we think of as human dna come from them and other cousins, and have spread around the world. We are the sum parts of the best of us and all our sibling and cousin species, not some monolith which worked perfectly the first time. It would be surprising if other species who are not the only one left don't continue to interbreed and make a stronger species.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:54 PM

13,698 posts, read 8,608,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
......Rarely, do coyotes attack humans. So infrequently does it occur, that it is newsworthy when it happens.........
If word got out that we humans had developed a taste for Roadrunner, and were serving them for Thanksgiving dinner, it would be another story.
Food chain thing, ya know......

Old 10-31-2015, 06:17 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,235,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If word got out that we humans had developed a taste for Roadrunner, and were serving them for Thanksgiving dinner, it would be another story.
Food chain thing, ya know......
One "Acme" device, coming right up ...

Old 10-31-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think its inevitable that species will cross and learn to survive in new environments, and so long as cross breeding is possible it will happen. Just as it did with humans and their genetic cousins. Since the breaking of the neanderthal genetic code, its been shown that some very key parts of what we think of as human dna come from them and other cousins, and have spread around the world. We are the sum parts of the best of us and all our sibling and cousin species, not some monolith which worked perfectly the first time. It would be surprising if other species who are not the only one left don't continue to interbreed and make a stronger species.
Nice to see someone agree with me on that thread. I'm getting my *** kicked. I repped this post.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:05 PM

3,856 posts, read 1,992,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
So is THIS enough evidence for the evangelicals?

Greater than the sum of its parts | The Economist

Nice article from The Economist.
What the heck have evangelicals got to do with this topic?

Old 10-31-2015, 09:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,828,166 times
It is too bad we have banned trapping here in MA. It is also odd that we have any coyote season at all. Should be open season 24/7.

Our caliber rules are tremendously convoluted here in MA as well when it comes to hunting coyote.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:21 PM

This is one of my favorite songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yYc8mYfrkg

Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 PM

14,266 posts, read 11,664,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
There are plenty of coyotes here in suburban SoCal, but they are rarely a problem. Where I live in South Orange County, they mostly feed on canyon wildlife; or on small hillside prey.

Rarely, do coyotes attack humans. So infrequently does it occur, that it is newsworthy when it happens.

People are, however, always advised to keep their small pets inside, and to also keep their small dogs on a short lease when walking them. It's also foolhardy to let housecats roam around, or to put your small dog in the backyard, since either could easily become a meal for Joe Coyote.

Nor, is it wise to leave pet food in the backyard, for obvious reasons.

I sometimes encounter coyotes in the early morning when walking my dog, but she's large and they scamper away.

On the other than, one of my neighbors recently told me that a pack of coyotes had tried to encircle his small dog when he was walking her. He managed to scare them off. The same pack later ran away in fear when my dog and I approached.

Occasionally, you do hear of someone's small pet, usually a cat, having been eaten by a coyote.

FWIW, I don't know if any of them are hybrids. They look pretty similar to one another, and like "common" coyotes.
So.e good advice about pets here^^^^ Growing up on a ranch, and having led ranch life most of my 51 years, I had a LOT of interaction with coyotes, feral dogs, and hybrids of tbe two. They can be quite a ...nuisance. Coyotes packing up, more than a pair maybe three dogs, was very rare back when I was a kid. They don't structure , like wolves. Loners and Pairs are still .ore common here bouts.. If more than three get together (I've seen that once in my life) they plan on doing some damage. We lost four foals to them that Spring. Eaten while the made was giving birth. There were five of them. My Dad and I killed four. The best shot I've seen a mortal man make with a rifle was number four. Dad got the first with and third with a 22 , I got number two with the same rifle. Number five wised up. Stayed way out of 22 range, but we kept seeing him.

So Dad brought out the mod 70 06 Win. 400 yards if it was an inch, on the run, over the home of the truck. KER SPLAT!! 180 gr Silver tip through the boiler. No more yote trouble. Of there were more out there, they vamoosed after that. But I digress. Point is, I have been told packing is common in places like LA and other SO Cal cities. ???? Is this true? Packing is VERY rare her. On here patrol and vafmint hunting I have never seen more than three, mostly just two or a loner, but that one time. And I know yotes.
It pays to know your enemy.

Feral dogs and.run in packs. Coydogs are usually loners. However, mix that all up with wolf, I see that as an unenviable thingto have prowling about. I had a very scary encounter with an animal, way out on the open graze once. I figured it to be a hybrid coydov. BUT....this critter was BIG. Rottweiler size. Physically very...interesting. Its front end was stacked high, heavy neck and chest, back end, set way lower than the front. Boxy head, but pointy ears. Its muzzle was slightly elongated, and the jaws looked like a bear trap. I observed this critter from the saddle with binos.

This after it had. closed to within about 300 yards. All I had was a shotgun and a 22 pistol. This animal was scary. It didn't seem to care if I saw it. My horse and I were being toned. I made this thing as a hybrid coy, maybe Rott or even Mastiff in the pot. I would have shot it plumb dead , had I the means to do so. Hybrids are a dangerous game. This coywolf thing is an issue time glad we don't have here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events