U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:58 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,232,569 times

Advertisements

My first parish assignment was in far northern Minnesota, one part of it in the very remote north woods …

Some of my congregants scratched out some of their living with a bit of farming on the side, generally a few sheep … I heard many complaints about "wolves," and when I asked if they meant "timber waves" or "brush wolves" (coyotes), they just *shrugged* and said, "They're the same … "

They're not the same, of course, but both are potential trouble to livestock farmers ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 05:03 AM

4,964 posts, read 6,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
But I digress. Point is, I have been told packing is common in places like LA and other SO Cal cities. ???? Is this true? Packing is VERY rare her. On here patrol and vafmint hunting I have never seen more than three, mostly just two or a loner, but that one time. And I know yotes.
It pays to know your enemy.
I'm far from being an expert on the subject, but personal observation tells me that one to three coyotes are the norm here. I've rarely seen four together, but you instinctively get that "WTF danger ahead" feeling when it does happen, because it seems like they are together for something serious; and you wonder if they will actually turn on your large, but lone, big dog. Funny, but my German Shepherd is fearless around them, and they want to get away from her since she goes wild and really seems to want to attack them.

Maybe it was a misperception since they were in a big pack, but they also seemed to be somewhat larger than common coyotes.

I'm also amazed by the fact that they never seem to be hit by cars, even when crossing busy roads in the dark.

Last edited by pacific2; 11-01-2015 at 05:26 AM..

Old 11-01-2015, 05:08 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,296,938 times
We've had some local news blurbs here in southern Nevada warning us about coyotes.
The ones I've seen look like starving German Shepherds. Not scary at all, more pitiful.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:28 AM

4,964 posts, read 6,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
We've had some local news blurbs here in southern Nevada warning us about coyotes.
The ones I've seen look like starving German Shepherds. Not scary at all, more pitiful.
They do have a scrawny pathetic look, but those I have seen look more like unkempt homeless medium-sized dogs.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:31 AM

14,154 posts, read 11,628,021 times
Quote:
Big difference around here. They don't look scrawny or pitiful all. Pic kings are pretty good. Dry years, like this one, there aren't as ma y, but then that are there are generally healthy. I've seen them the size of a G Shepard, or damn close. My Buddy bowled one over in a pretty remote and desolate spot, a d he was impressive. It was mid fall, last year, a d that dog was damn pretty. We saved the pelt. Got a fair price for it.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:09 AM

1,766 posts, read 2,082,953 times
The look varies when the packs develope mange, a disease that causes an fur loss. https://www.google.com/search?q=mang...FYzUJgodIJYA6Q

Old 11-01-2015, 07:29 AM

18,264 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
There is a good documentary available on Netflix about them. It's called Coywolf.
Then we also have these critters:

In Search of the Elusive Sea Wolf Along Canada's Rugged Coast -- National Geographic

same news item but different pictures available:

National Geographic puts spotlight on B.C.’s enigmatic sea wolves | Globalnews.ca

Old 11-01-2015, 08:10 AM

14,154 posts, read 11,628,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
The look varies when the packs develope mange, a disease that causes an fur loss. https://www.google.com/search?q=mang...FYzUJgodIJYA6Q
The mange mite aint common hereabouts. To cold. You see it, now and then, but its not common. Where I am, there is no better country, for a stockman, in the Summer, no worse in the Winter. Mange don't like it here. I've only seen one case in all my years here. On a stock dog. Never on a wild critter, not even a jack rabbit. Environment means a lot.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,325,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I'm far from being an expert on the subject, but personal observation tells me that one to three coyotes are the norm here. I've rarely seen four together, but you instinctively get that "WTF danger ahead" feeling when it does happen, because it seems like they are together for something serious; and you wonder if they will actually turn on your large, but lone, big dog. Funny, but my German Shepherd is fearless around them, and they want to get away from her since she goes wild and really seems to want to attack them.

Maybe it was a misperception since they were in a big pack, but they also seemed to be somewhat larger than common coyotes.

I'm also amazed by the fact that they never seem to be hit by cars, even when crossing busy roads in the dark.
^^^
Quote:
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
They do have a scrawny pathetic look, but those I have seen look more like unkempt homeless medium-sized dogs.
That's because you are seeing the typical western coyote. The "eastern coyote" or "coydog" or "coywofl" that we have in the Northeast is larger and bulkier. While coyotes don't kill healthy deer, there's plenty of road kill and fawns for them to eat on plus rabbits, possums, and other small animals as well as turkey and grouse.

Many are solitary or paired up but they frequently run in packs, too. I would guess that maybe the packs are temporary or maybe they're family groups of parents and young adult pups but they're frequently observed. This behavior is probably something that comes from their dog or wolf genes. They especially seem to form packs in the winter.

They infest New York's western Southern Tier where I live, and most farmers or landowners will kill them on sight although the legal hunting season for all of NYS except for NYC and Long Island is from October 1 through the end of March with no limit.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:19 AM

17,254 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Meet the coywolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bwoJI6isks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events