U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 AM

4,983 posts, read 6,385,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
^^^

^^^

That's because you are seeing the typical western coyote. The "eastern coyote" or "coydog" or "coywofl" that we have in the Northeast is larger and bulkier. While coyotes don't kill healthy deer, there's plenty of road kill and fawns for them to eat on plus rabbits, possums, and other small animals as well as turkey and grouse.

Many are solitary or paired up but they frequently run in packs, too. I would guess that maybe the packs are temporary or maybe they're family groups of parents and young adult pups but they're frequently observed. This behavior is probably something that comes from their dog or wolf genes. They especially seem to form packs in the winter.

They infest New York's western Southern Tier where I live, and most farmers or landowners will kill them on sight although the legal hunting season for all of NYS except for NYC and Long Island is from October 1 through the end of March with no limit.
That makes sense, because the coyotes I see here in SoCal are not at all large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Fascinating and informative video.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,235,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
^^^

^^^

That's because you are seeing the typical western coyote. The "eastern coyote" or "coydog" or "coywofl" that we have in the Northeast is larger and bulkier. While coyotes don't kill healthy deer, there's plenty of road kill and fawns for them to eat on plus rabbits, possums, and other small animals as well as turkey and grouse.

Many are solitary or paired up but they frequently run in packs, too. I would guess that maybe the packs are temporary or maybe they're family groups of parents and young adult pups but they're frequently observed. This behavior is probably something that comes from their dog or wolf genes. They especially seem to form packs in the winter.

They infest New York's western Southern Tier where I live, and most farmers or landowners will kill them on sight although the legal hunting season for all of NYS except for NYC and Long Island is from October 1 through the end of March with no limit.
The coyotes I've seen here in Minnesota are the classic Canis latrans … including a couple in our suburban neighborhood ...

Old 11-01-2015, 12:05 PM

Although we are in a very small, but densely populated suburban area, we are also right next to canyons, with some going through the city. Coyotes, deer, bobcats, snakes and other forms of wildlife probably feel perfectly comfortable here (in the canyons):

ALISO AND WOOD CANYONS WILDERNESS PARK (35 sec)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HbJ5QWctQ

Last edited by pacific2; 11-01-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 12:14 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,318,125 times
They like parks and golf courses here. Probably because of the rabbits and ground squirrels ( chipmunks to those in the east.) Sometimes they eat cats if they can catch them. Apparently, according to the news, they have been menacing people walking small dogs.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:15 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,797,873 times
UGH thanks Canada.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:52 PM

931 posts, read 614,962 times
Darwin was right

Old 11-03-2015, 12:21 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,076,051 times
I really enjoy the sound of coyotes yipping in the summer night air and the sound of frogs chirping in a pond nearby. It reminds me of being a little girl on the farm and I love it.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:40 AM

15,972 posts, read 6,288,059 times
For more, see Coyote attack in Hasting.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:01 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
I live in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio just about fifteen minutes east of the border. Just about a mile north is a large park along Lake Erie. At least one family of coyotes live there tucked away in some heavily treed areas probably in a den. But they visit the very heavily trafficked are where I live along a well traveled street downtown as well as quiet neighborhood backyards looking for little dogs left there or food in unsecured garbage cans.

The park and at times our neighborhood has skunks, squirrels, opossums and chipmunks. Even a mink was spotted fishing through the ice on the lake at the park. Deer follow rr tracks behind my building from a very large forest preserve about eight-ten miles away. All potential meals for the coyotes.

These coyotes are not all afraid of people. They’ve gotten close to some humans walking little dogs on a leash. They want the dogs. They have been known to go after larger dogs. After reading the article I’m wondering if it wasn’t just for food. Maybe they were looking for “love.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events