U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 AM

9,640 posts, read 10,355,899 times

Advertisements

Living in Eastern MA, I never saw coyotes growing up. You had to go "into the woods" for that, which meant really going far into the woods of NH and ME where you'll see things like deer and bears and such.

Now, you will see them right down into Boston pretty much..and I have seen Coyote's in the parks around Boston.

But being in the suburbs, I notice them a lot more. There are rabbits...everywhere. So the coyotes have a food source. Pretty sure the remains of a rabbit I found in my yard were due to a coyote.

Their tactics are obvious. You'll notice a lone coyote sitting on the edge of a wooded area. Little/medium dogs might try to chase them off, run into the woods after them, and are ambushed by the others. Neighbors have lost cats, dogs have been attacked, and even children have been attacked.

The population density is just too dense to use firearms to hunt/kill them. They are thriving in the small wooded patches between houses, and each year I see more and more of them.

Not sure if I've seen a coydog or coywolf though. Will need to start paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:47 PM

3,871 posts, read 1,915,283 times
There have been coydogs around here for years and years.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,606,575 times
A wolfdog in Lee County, VA killed an eight day old baby last week. I suppose the animals are legal to own there. I would say this will get the legislative ball rolling in Virginia.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:54 PM

4,276 posts, read 1,579,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Hybriding is a dangerous business. There are "breeders" who are selling coydogs now, and that is just insane. Wolf hybrids as well, have been deliberately bred for decades, now. Some things just shouldn't be. But, we have them, nonetheless. Nothing canmuck up the system better tthan people.
Can't remember offhand where I saw it, but I just saw, in the last day or so, an article about a family whose wolf hybrid killed their infant daughter.

Quote:
A wolfdog in Lee County, VA killed an eight day old baby last week. I suppose the animals are legal to own there. I would say this will get the legislative ball rolling in Virginia.
This might be the story I am thinking of.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:01 PM

15,529 posts, read 17,760,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What the heck have evangelicals got to do with this topic?
I think OP was referring to how many evangelical Christians believe, based on biblical interpretation, that species are static and unchanging, and that evolution by natural selection is false, whereas this eastern coywolf phenomenon shows evidence of a rapidly occuring speciation event.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:18 PM

4,133 posts, read 3,792,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Fascinating and informative video.
Yes, it explained to us the bigger, broader-chested, more wolfish coyotes we were seeing.

And yes, they DO occasionally bring down deer! They come together in packs in the late summer/early fall to teach the young to hunt. Sometimes late at night it can sound like an episode of Mutual of Omaha as we hear them bringing down an animal.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM

10,011 posts, read 16,685,481 times
Coyotes are occasionally seen in my metro area. They have no lack of game... possum and raccoons abound and they are the only predator keeping them in check. Years ago we had a Newfoundland hybrid supposedly his mother (or grandmother) mated with a coyote. That dog was as sweet as can be, when he would capture a squirrel he would bring it to us unhurt. He was disappointed that we wouldn't add it to our pet collection.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 PM

11,089 posts, read 4,876,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
The mating with dogs is overblown, wolves eat dogs, so will coyotes when they outnumber the dog.

That said, wolves are interbeeding with Coyotes and the result are larger, heavier coyotes are very adaptable to urban environments.

Pure coyotes have always eaten just about anything, that doesn't come from a dog component. Coyotes have always been adaptable, living easily in urban areas, that too didn't come from dogs, it always existed, the nature of that beast, they are the ultimate opportunist.

There is an excellent documentary about the Coywolf shown on PBS and they explain in some detail how the Coywolf came to be, interbeeding with dogs isn't a significant factor, the coyote being very intelligent already has those those traits.

Coyotes aren't afraid of humans, they are just wary and will mimic dog behavior so they can live in close proximity to people and the food benefits that provides. It is learned behavior, doesn't come from interbeeding.

This is though, an alarming trend because many people see coyotes as timid, somewhat runty animals when in fact they are highly intelligent and far more n adaptable than dogs.

Coyotes will often coax dogs into play and draw them away from homes only to kill and eat them. It isnt that they want nookie. Same for wolves, they see dogs as food items, not mates. While wolves have interbred with wolves, in nature it ia rare with the wolf choosing a nice hot meal instead of a breeding partner. Don't forget that the alpha female will quickly dispatch a dog to fed her cubs or herself and the pack, so will other wolves.

A dog, only in rare instances is going to be allowed to live for more than a few minutes and even if interbreeding happens, a dog being allowed to remain in a wolf pack is rare. It happens, but is rare.
Coyotes would pretty much be the result if raccoons mated with dogs.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,915,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think OP was referring to how many evangelical Christians believe, based on biblical interpretation, that species are static and unchanging, and that evolution by natural selection is false, whereas this eastern coywolf phenomenon shows evidence of a rapidly occuring speciation event.
It's an experience hearing them howl at night. Haunting. One starts, others join in and then the whole pack takes it up. Usually you find deer remains the next day. Part of why they howl must be for hunting. It's eerie, scary and haunting all together. Sublime, it might have been called earlier.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 AM

15,949 posts, read 6,276,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
It's an experience hearing them howl at night. Haunting. One starts, others join in and then the whole pack takes it up. Usually you find deer remains the next day. Part of why they howl must be for hunting. It's eerie, scary and haunting all together. Sublime, it might have been called earlier.
The packing and howling demonstrates, perhaps, that they are evolving to fill the ecological niche once filled by wolves. It took some time for other wildlife such as deer, rabbits, raccoons and opossums to regenerate. They are the canids' dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events