Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But there was a time when the Catholic church operated much the same way, and was integrated into the power structure. Popes made and unmade leaders of empires and nations and were rulers of their own. Leaving the church was equal to being taken by a demon and you were taken away so they could clense your soul in the basement with torture. In time their influence waned, secular leaders grew in authority, and yet they retained a great influence for centuries.

Different sort of influence, but much the same agenda.
Sure, a few centuries ago that was the case. But that isn't the case this century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 09:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
It was fascinating and she has a lot of courage. Going Clear was great too. Scary group of people that pay no taxes, steal from others, and beat and torture their own members.

I don't want to sign up for none of that thanks.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 PM

163 posts, read 273,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But there was a time when the Catholic church operated much the same way, and was integrated into the power structure. Popes made and unmade leaders of empires and nations and were rulers of their own. Leaving the church was equal to being taken by a demon and you were taken away so they could clense your soul in the basement with torture. In time their influence waned, secular leaders grew in authority, and yet they retained a great influence for centuries.

Different sort of influence, but much the same agenda.
That was a few centuries ago, but generally not at the present time. The Catholic church has evolved tremendously (much to the chagrin of the uber-traditionalists)

Old 11-04-2015, 07:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
She is Queen of Queens

Old 11-05-2015, 01:19 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Oh I get it. Do you? Here it is - apples, oranges, grapefruit, lemons, a whole bunch of clubs and organizations devoted to atheism and secularism. I bet you a dollar some of them even collect dues. A little research is a wonderful thing.

American Atheists - Website
Black Atheists of America - Website
Alabama
AHS Freethinkers - Facebook
Alabama Atheists and Agnostics - Website
Auburn Atheists and Agnostics - Website
Birmingham Freethought Society - Website
Secular Coalition for Alabama - Website
Secular Student Alliance at USA - Website
UAH Non-Theists - Website
California
Students for A Nonreligious Ethos (SANE) - Website
Colorado
Beth Ami - Colorado Congregation for Humanistic Judaism - Website
Boulder Atheists - Website
Colorado Coalition of Reason (COCORE) - Website
D.A.F.T. (Denver Atheists & Freethinkers) - Website
Denver Atheists - Website
Denver Humanist Book Group - Website
Freethinkers of Colorado Springs - Website
Freethinkers of Northern Colorado - Website
Humanist Action League (HAL) - Website
Humanists of Colorado (HOC) - Website
Leaders in Free Thought (LIFT) - Website
Metro State Atheists - Website
Pikes Peak Skeptic Society - Website
Secular Parents Club - Website
Secular Students and Skeptics Society (SSaSS) - Website
Secular Student Alliance of UCCS - Facebook
Skeptics in the Pub - Website
USAFA Freethinkers - Facebook
Western Colorado Atheists and Freethinkers (WCAF) - Website
Florida
Atheists of Florida - Website
Georgia
Atlanta Freethinker Dance Social - Website
Atlanta Freethought Society - Website
Black Nonbelievers of Atlanta - Website
Fayette Freethought Society - Website
Fellowship of Reason - Website
Gwinnett Understanding Secular Truths - Website
Humanists of Georgia - Website
Idaho
Boise Atheist, Non-Theist, and Humanist Social - Website
Boise State University Secular Student Alliance - Facebook
CosmosCoffeeClub - Website
Freethought Moscow - Facebook
Humanists of Idaho - Website
Idaho Atheists, Inc. - Website
Secular Student Alliance at College of Southern Idaho - Facebook
Secular Student Alliance of Idaho State University - Facebook
West Valley Freethinkers - Website
Maryland
UMD Freethought - Facebook
Texas
Atheist Community of Austin - Website
Metroplex Atheists - Website
North Texas Church of Freethought - Website
Virginia
Atheist Dominion - Website
Ethical Humanist Society of Tidewater Virginia - Website
Northern VA Atheists - Website
Virginia Atheists & Agnostics - Website
Washington
Seattle Atheists - Website
Washington, D.C.
Capital Beltway Atheists - Website
DC Atheist Women - Website
Washington Area Secular Humanists - Website

Hallelujah and Amen
Those are very rare in the grand scheme of things......a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of religious organizations, hardly worth mentioning.

Even in the smallest of towns you will find several churches, good luck finding any kind of gathering place for atheists.

Unlike the religious, most everyday, average atheists won't even "come out of the closet" so to speak for fear of negative repercussions in their personal and work lives, let alone set up a meeting place in town.

For that matter, myself and the few atheists I know, have no desire or need to meet up with other atheists even if there were no repercussions. We just don't need that kind of support/crutch as the religious do. If we were that type, we wouldn't be atheists, we would believe in a god who watches over us, wouldn't we?

Do you think the few atheist organizations you listed all wrapped up as one could even afford to fund one, small hospital? That hardly anyone would even use?

And, I noticed almost all of the places you listed were nothing more than websites, hardly comparable to brick and mortar churches and temples.

Again, you cannot compare atheists and religious organizations when it comes to supporting things like hospitals and shelters. Atheists simply do not have the numbers and the same ability to organize as the religious.

When it comes to individuals, I am willing to bet atheists give just as much to charity as their religious neighbors, their money just doesn't come with a label attached.

Apples/oranges.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:25 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Those are very rare in the grand scheme of things......a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of religious organizations, hardly worth mentioning.

Even in the smallest of towns you will find several churches, good luck finding any kind of gathering place for atheists.

Unlike the religious, most everyday, average atheists won't even "come out of the closet" so to speak for fear of negative repercussions in their personal and work lives, let alone set up a meeting place in town.

For that matter, myself and the few atheists I know, have no desire or need to meet up with other atheists even if there were no repercussions. We just don't need that kind of support/crutch as the religious do. If we were that type, we wouldn't be atheists, we would believe in a god who watches over us, wouldn't we?

Do you think the few atheist organizations you listed all wrapped up as one could even afford to fund one, small hospital? That hardly anyone would even use?

And, I noticed almost all of the places you listed were nothing more than websites, hardly comparable to brick and mortar churches and temples.

Again, you cannot compare atheists and religious organizations when it comes to supporting things like hospitals and shelters. Atheists simply do not have the numbers and the same ability to organize as the religious.

When it comes to individuals, I am willing to bet atheists give just as much to charity as their religious neighbors, their money just doesn't come with a label attached.

Apples/oranges.
There is a convention for atheists. Atheists give out awards and scholarships and hold events through the organization I shared. Looks like you live in Ohio. Maybe your area doesn't get a lot of exposure to this. I think a lot of atheists just live life quietly, so do many religious. But the options are there for atheists who want to participate.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:26 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Being an atheist simply means you do not believe in or worship a supernatural being, a god. Therefore, atheists do not form dues paying clubs to worship together, as there is nothing to worship. Get it?
Moderator cut: personal attacks "Therefore, atheists do not form dues paying clubs to worship together, as there is nothing to worship."

Does this sentence say that atheist do not form 'clubs'? No, it does not. Moderator cut: personal remarks The modifier "...to worship together..." is an integral part of the sentence which cannot be left out, and responding as though it *can* be is totally incorrect.

Atheists do not worship anything, therefore, they do not form...clubs to worship together. The statement is true and cannot be refuted, the list of websites signifies nothing and your effort is for naught. So, just who is it that is screaming and lying?

Last edited by Marka; 11-06-2015 at 02:10 AM..

Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
It's just semantics at that point. Yeah technically there is nothing "to worship" because they don't believe in a higher power... but they can gather to discuss THAT. They can discuss how and why they DON'T believe or gather as people who don't believe and do other things together, like have a convention, and decide who is worthy of what award and why, who is worthy of what scholarship and why, hold events, fundraise, have guest speakers, etc. Religious people don't JUST worship. They don't sit in church or whatever and WORSHIP all day. They also gather and discuss and decide things, hold events, fundraisers, and teach. Atheists do the same without ALSO "worshipping" but to suggest they are sooo different just because there is no higher power is just silly. No, they don't worship what they believe to be nonexistent higher powers, but they can still gather and form organizations just the same. They can collect money, and they surely do. They must, to be able to have conventions and guest speakers and raise money for scholarships and awards. And some atheists can shove their beliefs and self-righteousness down your throat just as bad as some religious do. They're the same. Except there's no person to worship. And that really is NOT that big of a difference, especially when someone is forcing their opinion on you either way. Some people who identify with a religion don't even to go church or whatever organization they have, but still identify as that religion and participate in other things, right or wrong.

So no, they don't WORSHIP. But look at what else they can do if they want. They have freaking conventions.

Last edited by Marka; 11-06-2015 at 02:10 AM..

Old 11-05-2015, 10:01 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Nicole also had a contract. I've said it before here, years back, and it's 100% true; verified by hollywood insiders, one of whom is a friend of a friend of mine. Old news. Tom Cruise is gay as well. Also old news and well-known among Hollywood upper echelon.
Same with Travolta???
I just don't get it. It's 2015. Why are these celebs still in the closet and how is it kept so under wraps???

Old 11-05-2015, 11:55 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Here's my thing. Having Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kirsty Alley etc say bad things about someone has zero impact on me as they are all idiots. Literally. The exact kind of people that Scientology targets.
I don't think of those three as being very bright, they have managed to make a lot of money though. I suppose being some what talented doesn't equal being intelligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events