Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:58 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
"Maybe if you treat police officers with respect, they will do the same to you". What a novel idea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's common sense to me, but apparently to a good portion of the population at the moment thinks it's too much work or nonsensical or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I find this to be true in about 50% of my interactions with law enforcement.
Yeah, there are a lot of jerkwads out there, give 'em a badge and a gun and it goes straight to their heads. Cops need to be held to higher standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
How often do most gun owners have to use their gun for protection? I best most never had to use it but they still own one.
Mine has saved my butt enough times to make up for a few people who have never had to. You're better off not having to.

Not everyone totes a big box of tools and a floor jack in their vehicles (and knows how to use them), along with a spare tire, lug-wrench and fire extinguisher...but I do. Some people never have a flat or a breakdown on the road...but I have. I've had a car catch on fire, I've had a dead alternator in Backwater, Virginia, I've had blown brakes (if there is a weak spot in a vehicle braking system, my wife will find it). It's nice to be prepared and able to take care of a problem, should one arise.

Some people spend all kinds of money on all kinds of insurance policies on the off chance that they might need it some day, and a lot never have to use them. but, there are still plenty of people who do, and are glad of it. A gun is very much like an insurance policy- you don't want to have to use it, but you're damn glad you've got it if you do.

Quote:
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have."
You don't hear of most of the events in which someone who is armed successfully defends him/herself, especially if one does not have to actually fire a shot, because it usually doesn't make the news. The media wants 'blood 'n' guts', "If it bleeds it leads." If it's not gory, it's not a story. In most of the events in which I've had to defend myself, I've not had to actually pull the trigger. No cops were called, no reports made. In one event, the cops *were* called...and never showed, not even to the hospital (even to take a report) where I was getting stitched up after having been carved up with a broken bottle. You know when I got to see cops? My blood-soaked vehicle was left at a Dunkin Donuts because I had some broken bones and there was so much blood that the steering wheel was too slippery and I couldn't drive...someone else drove me to the hospital and while I was there my vehicle was towed by the staff at the coffee shop...the impound lot wanted hundreds of dollars to release it and I was ticked-off and making a stink- *that's* when I got to see some cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,288 times
Quote:
Ok i get that. But again the person who has a gun also has it for his protection. So he should give up his protection so the cop feels protected? So only a cops protection matters?

I get that officers are concerned at traffic stops because a lot of stops lead to gun fights or cops getting assaulted. The same concern applies to people being pulled over. We don't know if the cop is legit or crooked or impersonating a cop.
Good point …

That marked police cruiser behind you with lights flashing COULD be a *fake* … as could the "officer's" uniform and badge … So, best not to stop … or for that matter, probably shouldn't drive at all …

Maybe good idea not to leave the house … at all ...

Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yeah, there are a lot of jerkwads out there, give 'em a badge and a gun and it goes straight to their heads. Cops need to be held to higher standards.

Mine has saved my butt enough times to make up for a few people who have never had to. You're better off not having to.

Not everyone totes a big box of tools and a floor jack in their vehicles (and knows how to use them), along with a spare tire, lug-wrench and fire extinguisher...but I do. Some people never have a flat or a breakdown on the road...but I have. I've had a car catch on fire, I've had a dead alternator in Backwater, Virginia, I've had blown brakes (if there is a weak spot in a vehicle braking system, my wife will find it). It's nice to be prepared and able to take care of a problem, should one arise.

Some people spend all kinds of money on all kinds of insurance policies on the off chance that they might need it some day, and a lot never have to use them. but, there are still plenty of people who do, and are glad of it. A gun is very much like an insurance policy- you don't want to have to use it, but you're damn glad you've got it if you do.

You don't hear of most of the events in which someone who is armed successfully defends him/herself, especially if one does not have to actually fire a shot, because it usually doesn't make the news. The media wants 'blood 'n' guts', "If it bleeds it leads." If it's not gory, it's not a story. In most of the events in which I've had to defend myself, I've not had to actually pull the trigger. No cops were called, no reports made. In one event, the cops *were* called...and never showed, not even to the hospital (even to take a report) where I was getting stitched up after having been carved up with a broken bottle. You know when I got to see cops? My blood-soaked vehicle was left at a Dunkin Donuts because I had some broken bones and there was so much blood that the steering wheel was too slippery and I couldn't drive...someone else drove me to the hospital and while I was there my vehicle was towed by the staff at the coffee shop...the impound lot wanted hundreds of dollars to release it and I was ticked-off and making a stink- *that's* when I got to see some cops.
Do the speed limit, make sure your equipment is in order, and otherwise follow the law and you will notice that their aren't many jerkwad cops out there.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:07 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,519 times
So much misinformation here. There is no Most or ALL states laws. In MA if you have a concealed carry permit, you do not have to inform if stopped by police. If asked then you would not want to lie, no no obligation to tell.
Also in MA your permit is not attached to your drivers license or anything else. Also remember that if you are driving and go out of your state the laws where you are going may be COMPLETELY different and your permit may or may not be Honored.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:24 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
Do the speed limit, make sure your equipment is in order, and otherwise follow the law and you will notice that their aren't many jerkwad cops out there.
Horsepuckey. I was directly and extensively involved with them on a regular basis. There *are* a lot of jerkwad cops out there, and that isn't based on traffic stop experiences- it's based on working with them and *knowing* them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
So much misinformation here. There is no Most or ALL states laws. In MA if you have a concealed carry permit, you do not have to inform if stopped by police. If asked then you would not want to lie, no no obligation to tell.
Also in MA your permit is not attached to your drivers license or anything else. Also remember that if you are driving and go out of your state the laws where you are going may be COMPLETELY different and your permit may or may not be Honored.
No misinformation. You, apparently, are not able to read and comprehend very well. I did not say that there was in MA a requirement to inform, but in ME there is *if* you do not have a CW 'permit'. Nor did I say that in MA there was an 'attachment' of permit info to DL, but I speculated that there might be here in ME.

You really should pay more attention before you spout off.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:03 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Horsepuckey. I was directly and extensively involved with them on a regular basis. There *are* a lot of jerkwad cops out there, and that isn't based on traffic stop experiences- it's based on working with them and *knowing* them.

No misinformation. You, apparently, are not able to read and comprehend very well. I did not say that there was in MA a requirement to inform, but in ME there is *if* you do not have a CW 'permit'. Nor did I say that in MA there was an 'attachment' of permit info to DL, but I speculated that there might be here in ME.

You really should pay more attention before you spout off.
I was directly and extensively involved with them in NYC and had a very different experience.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 11-02-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 02:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I find this to be true in about 50% of my interactions with law enforcement.
This sounds like someone who would say they can't hold a job because most bosses are *******s.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:45 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
What does a plane have to do with a car? You are allowed to have a gun in your car in most places that i know of.

The question is about his right to not to hand over his gun at all. His gun is for his protection every bit the same as the officers gun is to protect him.
Exactly.

Learn your rights people before they're all taken from you.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:54 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
That's BS. I'm a supporter of the police, but I know that some are just azzholes. There are quite a few small towns where the cops are interested and only interested in raising revenue and breaking balls.

While driving through one small town in SJ, my sister and niece were pulled over. When they asked why, the officer said that they flicked a cigarette out the window...neither of them smoke. He ticketed them anyway.

In the same town, my father and I were pulled over after watching a fight at a friends house because the cop said that we crossed the yellow line. He was simply fishing for drunk drivers.

This is the type of abuse that pisses people off, but thankfully, these types are few and far between.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:40 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This sounds like someone who would say they can't hold a job because most bosses are *******s.
Yep, you got me pegged there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events