U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 07:09 PM

31,084 posts, read 13,607,016 times

Advertisements

"A woman thought she was being kidnapped by her Lyft driver in San Francisco late Thursday night, and jumped out of the car at a stoplight and ran away, breaking her ankle in the process. But it turns out it was all just a misunderstanding—the driver is deaf, and didn't hear the woman's instructions to stop when she thought they were going in the wrong direction of her destination, SF Gate reports. Police believe that the driver was in fact, heading in the right direction, but was using a different route from what the woman expected"
Woman Mistakenly Thought Deaf Lyft Driver Was Kidnapping Her: SFist

I wonder if I might not have done the same thing, maybe the driver should have a sign up somewhere that he is deaf? Never mind, that makes too much sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 07:44 PM

20,586 posts, read 16,645,141 times
He should have informed her when he picked her up, IMO..."btw, I can't hear so if you need anything just tap my shoulder" is all it would have taken. To me the guy was irresponsible for not letting her know, I'd have gotten terrified in that situation too.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He should have informed her when he picked her up, IMO..."btw, I can't hear so if you need anything just tap my shoulder" is all it would have taken. To me the guy was irresponsible for not letting her know, I'd have gotten terrified in that situation too.
That's my thought too...I wonder if Lyft has a policy regarding this, or if they even care?

Old 10-31-2015, 08:41 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,205,329 times
Interesting, here we have people terrified and reacting to unrealized threats to their safety.

Such terror and gross overreation to a situation where no one was being threatened.

How easily people are terrified.

To top it off, the driver was going the right way, yet terror?

Old 10-31-2015, 08:48 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,205,329 times
The woman had a cell phone, maybe call for help before overreacting?

What happened to all the nothing really happened stuff we hear about all the time?

What happened to wait and see we hear about?

There was no threat, the driver was going the right way. Chill.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:27 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,150,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Interesting, here we have people terrified and reacting to unrealized threats to their safety.

Such terror and gross overreation to a situation where no one was being threatened.

How easily people are terrified.

To top it off, the driver was going the right way, yet terror?
Yep.

It's crazy how easily scared Americans are these days.

It used to be, you get in a cab, the cab driver goes what you think is the "wrong" way, he/she ignores you, and you get out at your destination earlier than you expected.

Now?

"Oh my god, the cab/Uber/Lyft driver is a terrorist and is definitely kidnapping me!"

Nevermind the fact that there are millions of cab/Uber/Lyft rides every MONTH and few, IF ANY, kidnapping cases.

This country has become a nation of pansies who are afraid of their own shadow. Thank your government and your media for that. They have convinced you that you should automatically expect the worst in every situation.

Oh my god, ISIS is coming for all of us!!!!

Old 10-31-2015, 10:47 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Yep.

It's crazy how easily scared Americans are these days.

It used to be, you get in a cab, the cab driver goes what you think is the "wrong" way, he/she ignores you, and you get out at your destination earlier than you expected.

Now?

"Oh my god, the cab/Uber/Lyft driver is a terrorist and is definitely kidnapping me!"

Nevermind the fact that there are millions of cab/Uber/Lyft rides every MONTH and few, IF ANY, kidnapping cases.

This country has become a nation of pansies who are afraid of their own shadow. Thank your government and your media for that. They have convinced you that you should automatically expect the worst in every situation.

Oh my god, ISIS is coming for all of us!!!!
You must be a man. You think like one. It's okay, it's not your fault. But being a woman in this situation is very different than being a man in this situation. Women are preyed on every day by men. It's not an exaggeration. Things like this happen, especially to women visiting a foreign country alone (I realize this was an American in America but the point is still true). This of course isn't to say all men are bad and all men prey on women. They obviously don't. But women DO actually have to always watch their backs, especially when alone. It's not an overreaction to be scared in this society given the violence women face just because they're women and easily preyed on by creepy men. Perhaps this woman overreacted here, but her fears are not unfounded or ridiculous. Women are always vigilant of their situation, especially when alone and at night or in an unfamiliar or empty place - who they are with, where they are, what they are doing, who is around, who they could possibly call, if they have something that could possibly be used as a weapon. Trust me, I am one. I have felt weary getting into NYC cabs before alone. Sometimes drivers give off a creepy vibe. This isn't me overreacting, this is me having instincts.

It's just a shame this guy didn't tell her that he was deaf. I feel like it's odd for a deaf person to be a cab driver when it's kind of important to be able to hear your clients. At the least, warn them somehow.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You must be a man. You think like one. It's okay, it's not your fault. But being a woman in this situation is very different than being a man in this situation. Women are preyed on every day by men. It's not an exaggeration. Things like this happen, especially to women visiting a foreign country alone (I realize this was an American in America but the point is still true). This of course isn't to say all men are bad and all men prey on women. They obviously don't. But women DO actually have to always watch their backs, especially when alone. It's not an overreaction to be scared in this society given the violence women face just because they're women and easily preyed on by creepy men. Perhaps this woman overreacted here, but her fears are not unfounded or ridiculous. Women are always vigilant of their situation, especially when alone and at night or in an unfamiliar or empty place - who they are with, where they are, what they are doing, who is around, who they could possibly call, if they have something that could possibly be used as a weapon. Trust me, I am one. I have felt weary getting into NYC cabs before alone. Sometimes drivers give off a creepy vibe. This isn't me overreacting, this is me having instincts.

It's just a shame this guy didn't tell her that he was deaf. I feel like it's odd for a deaf person to be a cab driver when it's kind of important to be able to hear your clients. At the least, warn them somehow.
I agree, and maybe she did overreact, but I won't second guess her, if I tell a cab driver to turn and they go in a different direction I'm going to start getting real concerned about my safety

Old 10-31-2015, 11:47 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,848,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Not all men think this way though. I completely understand hers and your viewpoint and agree. Those two responses are disgusting.

Hell, if I were in that position (and my driver was seemingly ignoring me) I probably would've done the same, or worse.

That wait and see, and call for help comment was one of the most asinine things I've ever read on this website.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:08 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, and maybe she did overreact, but I won't second guess her, if I tell a cab driver to turn and they go in a different direction I'm going to start getting real concerned about my safety
Yup. There is a true Tumblr post that floats around Facebook sometimes from a Tumblr account called "I Believe You It's Not Your Fault" and it includes a story from a woman who was in a foreign country and went out with friends, left her small purse inside her friend's larger purse while they were out at the club to avoid having to carry it, and was left without it once her friends left for the night. It was about 3 am, she was in a foreign, non-English speaking country, alone, in her early 20s, with no bag, phone, or money. She had to get back to her hostel or hotel or whatever, so she convinced a cab driver to take her there for no fee. He of course started driving her around in circles and whatever, taking wrong turns. She didn't know the area well but she knew some landmarks to get her back and was not seeing any of them. She tried to ask him to stop and let her out but he had locked the doors and he started to touch her. She managed to get away and out of the situation and wandered back, shaken up. But this kind of stuff happens to women. It's not unheard of, it's certainly not rare for assaults like this to occur. The second a driver - cab, uber, whatever - starts taking me somewhere I know I'm not supposed to go is the second I will freak out, and rightfully so.

I won't second guess this woman, either. Overreaction or not, her fear is valid IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Not all men think this way though. I completely understand hers and your viewpoint and agree. Those two responses are disgusting.

Hell, if I were in that position (and my driver was seemingly ignoring me) I probably would've done the same, or worse.

That wait and see, and call for help comment was one of the most asinine things I've ever read on this website.
I know not all men think this way. But enough do for women to have to be weary in public. Especially when alone or at night or in an unfamiliar place. And that's sad.

It's easy to judge someone on their actions in this type of situation when you weren't in it or haven't been. Call for help, wait and see, or freak out and flee? Hard to say what's better when we weren't there, and she doesn't deserve judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or