U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:21 AM

9,262 posts, read 10,918,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Slippery slope that should proceed with caution. Create one justification to end someone's life and another reason will rear its ugly head. It starts with those terminally ill or severe dementia. It then moves onto other less severe physical or mental conditions. At some point those who deal out death begin to loose sight of the value of life. This is a stepping stone to the return of the eugenics movement.
Just like I said in my first response. I called it! People don't read. This authorization has nothing to do with euthanasia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 05:00 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,497,826 times
Although I think this is a great thing, I wish Medicare would authorize us being able to use savings cards and coupons for help with our prescriptions as well But it's against the law for Medicare recipients to be able to use any help available through the drug companies. I've run into so many roadblocks with two $300/month prescriptions I'm taking, and I want to live! So many Medicare recipients have this same issue.

This is a great policy, however. I saw a lady interviewing about it on TV the other day. She has a particularly aggressive form of breast cancer, and instead of spending her last days fighting a painful losing battle, she decided to forgo treatment, continue working some, visit with her friends and family, and travel. The counseling made her feel at peace with her decision to refuse treatment for cancer that could not be cured anyway, and she did not want to die feeling so sick from the treatments. I applaud that. Our life is our own, and we should be able to make the final decision on how to both live it and end it.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:06 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,442,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Although I think this is a great thing, I wish Medicare would authorize us being able to use savings cards and coupons for help with our prescriptions as well But it's against the law for Medicare recipients to be able to use any help available through the drug companies. I've run into so many roadblocks with two $300/month prescriptions I'm taking, and I want to live! So many Medicare recipients have this same issue.

This is a great policy, however. I saw a lady interviewing about it on TV the other day. She has a particularly aggressive form of breast cancer, and instead of spending her last days fighting a painful losing battle, she decided to forgo treatment, continue working some, visit with her friends and family, and travel. The counseling made her feel at peace with her decision to refuse treatment for cancer that could not be cured anyway, and she did not want to die feeling so sick from the treatments. I applaud that. Our life is our own, and we should be able to make the final decision on how to both live it and end it.
She made the right decision for her situation. .

can u get Canadian drugs? Sometimes people go to Canada and Mexico to get their drugs or get it from a pharmacy online.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:10 PM

1,077 posts, read 685,944 times
Quote:

BBM

You can try for Prescription Assistance Program.

Many have that same issue. Big Pharma needs to let their drugs sell for less for those who can't afford or have to pick and choose what bill doesn't get paid so one can get their medications.

Quote:
Quote:

Patient Assistance Programs Run by Drug Companies

To get the process started, you need to mail an application to
the drug company, along with information about your financial situation. You can
usually download an application from the company’s web site. In most cases, your
doctor will need to fill in information about your prescriptions.

The drug company will review the application and let you know if
you are eligible for assistance. If approved, many companies will ship a supply
of the drug to your home or health care provider’s office. You or your provider
will need to place a new order several weeks before the supply runs out.

Patient Assistance Programs for Prescription Drugs

Old 11-05-2015, 12:15 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,309,652 times
Quote:

Have you applied for Medicaid as a secondary? It's income based, so you may not qualify, but worth looking into if you are struggling.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Just like I said in my first response. I called it! People don't read. This authorization has nothing to do with euthanasia.
Nope. And hospice care is the right choice for lots of people. If you aren't going to make it anyway, why die in misery?

Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,037,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Get a living will. I have one. Plus let your whole family know what you think. If I will have quality of life I chose to stay alive. When it goes to no more quality then its time to pull the plug!!! Give me drugs and let me go peacefully!!! If not give me a nice drug cocktail I can take at home and die on my own terms!!
If they can't give me the drugs at least give me plenty of pain killers and withhold all the expensive drugs and treatments designed simply to keep me breathing.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
If they can't give me the drugs at least give me plenty of pain killers and withhold all the expensive drugs and treatments designed simply to keep me breathing.
That's hospice. They provide pain relief and quality of life care only. It's covered by Medicare if you have been diagnosed with an illness expected to cause you to die within six months. Hospice care is not what is being discussed here, though, it's the actual discussion with your doctor about your options.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:23 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Slippery slope that should proceed with caution. Create one justification to end someone's life and another reason will rear its ugly head. It starts with those terminally ill or severe dementia. It then moves onto other less severe physical or mental conditions. At some point those who deal out death begin to loose sight of the value of life. This is a stepping stone to the return of the eugenics movement.
How many people do you know to whom this has happened and what is your experience? I lived in a state in which assisted suicide was legal and this did not take place. There were safeguard in place and the right was not abused. In fact, there were only a small number of people who actually took advantage of it.

So I would like to know where your information comes from that justify your claim that it is the beginning of a eugenics movement. If it was going to happen, I would think it would have already happened in the stated in the US and the countries in which Death With Dignity Acts are allowed.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:35 AM

20,596 posts, read 16,652,763 times
These discussion have always taken place, The ONLY thing this bill does is authorize, for the first time, that a doctor can be paid for an office visit when he consults with a patient who requests an end of life discussion regarding her terminal illness. NOT to discuss suicide, but options like Hospice, which remains a confusing area for patients and families. This discussion was always allowed, it just didn't count as a Medicare reimbursable service so the doc had to do it on free time. Now the doc can put in a claim for reimbursement for the time he spent. That's IT folks, nothing to see here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or