Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 971 times

Advertisements

Washington State University, Vancouver, WA.
Marquee Diversity Series Presents: Race, Immigration and Citizenship
November 3, 2015 @ 12 P.M.

I attended a speech given by Joanne Bland, a Civil Rights activist who tried to cross the Pettus Bridge from Selma, Alabama into Montgomery back in the 1960's, and witnessed a second attempt by Martin Luther King Jr. She gave a very emotional speech and one I felt a lot of people could get behind; however, I came away with the thought she may have become jaded, cynical, and perhaps bitter towards thoughts, which she does not share.

For example, a young woman asked her about how some movements by minorities may not have been justified, but before she could finish her question, Joanne Bland said, "that is because you're white." The young woman was startled, and said, "it is because I'm white?" and Joanne said, "yes..." then proceeded on with her point of view.

Being that Joanne was a young girl at the time, I can see how it is traumatizing to witness that level of violence, but she did not have to dismiss a young woman's question with "it is because you're white."

Joanne's response went against the whole point of racial equality. For all Joanne could tell, she may have offended a student with an innocent question.

I for one was a bit offended. I believe Joanne Bland should have based her response on the content of the students character, in conjunction with her question and not based on the color of the students skin. Had Joanne Bland not made that one remark, I believe people like me would have left the presentation in higher esteem.

Last edited by LNMoss; 11-03-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 12:58 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Someone fighting against racism directed at them can still be racist when it comes to other groups.

Just ask any Asian American what racial group makes the most Asian jokes,

Old 11-04-2015, 01:50 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNMoss View Post
For example, a young woman asked her about how some movements by minorities may not have been justified, but before she could finish her question, Joanne Bland said, "that is because you're white." The young woman was startled, and said, "it is because I'm white?" and Joanne said, "yes..." then proceeded on with her point of view..
I think that whenever people make a dismissive comment like that, "because you're a woman", "because you're a man", "because you're too old", "because you're too young", etc, the original speaker misses a chance to educate the person s/he is addressing, and I think that is just stupid and counterproductive to whatever point the speaker is trying to make. Instead of possibly creating understanding and a conversion to the speaker's point of view, all it does is make the questioner have a poor opinion of the speaker.

Plus, it is very demeaning and condescending -- and in Ms. Bland's case, I would think that she would know what that feels like.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:53 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
What is she, 90? Old people say all kinds of un-PC things, I work in a nursing home and hear it all the time. If she was an activist 50-some years ago I would just attribute it to old-age crankiness. No it doesn't make it right, but I think it's silly to make a big deal of it.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:01 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Same logic that allows blacks to call each other the N word but, god help you if you do it? The black race has been given a pass on disrespectful commentary and judgements simply because they are black. Not because it's proper, right or even accurate most of the time.

It's as stupid as calling a black person out about employment, work ethic, family values, and violence....it's because they are black.....

3.....2......1........INCOMING!!!!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:07 PM

404 posts, read 366,735 times
I think she was right in what she was saying. This girl put herself out there saying that minorities didnt have the right to make the moves that they did. What would some silly white girl from the burbs know about that?

Old 11-04-2015, 02:44 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I can see this thread degenerating into something bad, and its not, really, a good current events topic. Threads with facial issues don't mix well in CE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events