U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:38 AM

163 posts, read 96,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Another liberal showing immense generosity with someone else's money. Color me unsurprised.
I'm not sure why so many people think it's conservative to open up to the commercialized rat race a holiday devoted to giving thanks for what we have and spending time with family. Stores being open on Thanksgiving is a phenomenon of the past 5 years. The very idea is the opposite of a conservative one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
So here we have the opposite of Target's gamble (they're starting before Thanksgiving this year, according to another thread).

Let the shopping start later, bringing in the bulk of your purchases after Thanksgiving. Plusses might include less overhead cost (no employees to pay on Thanksgiving). Minuses might include reduced overall business, maybe, if all of the Thursday sales pull away potential customers.

I doubt we'll get any clear answers this year, but it's going to be fun to watch over the next few years to see if starting earlier really is the best strategy. Even if it's going, there's going to be diminishing returns eventually. Imaging trying to start your holiday shopping season on Halloween! No one would show up.
Even easier.... I'm doing it online. Amazon prime gave me great discounts and it has already come to my door. I do almost all my shopping except for actual food online.

Last time I looked at Target I ended up going to Walmart and buying the same thing for significantly less since Target is said to be more 'upper appeal'. Me, the price is what matters. Amazon beats them both.

We've gone to Black Friday the last few years and I didn't buy much, but it was fun and I got GREAT discounts on the smaller stuff that weren't listed in the big door buster list.

I'll bet if they give employees the option of working or not on Black Friday a lot would work anyway.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:52 AM

6,600 posts, read 1,364,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The "miracle" was that Macy's and Gimbles were able to maximize profits by not wasting time trying to push customers to buy something that that would probably return the next day and instead encourage them to go to a competitor to get what they actually wanted. The goodwill created was for the repeat business that would come AFTER the Christmas season.
Yes, I did get all that. Even though more customers were happy as a result of Gimbel and Macy competing against each other, the movie made it very clear that customer happiness was NOT their primary motivation.

'We'll be known as the helpful store. The friendly store, the store with a heart. The store that places public service ahead of profit. And, consequently, we'll make more profits then ever before.''*

* Mr. Macy (Harry Antrim) George Seaton, screenwriter.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:13 AM

20,596 posts, read 16,652,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Why do Libs hate the families of hospitality, medical, fire, police, utilities, etc. workers??

Don't they deserve a day off, too? Or is their outrage only when it doesn't inconvenience them?
She is writing about family values and you are claiming that to be a liberal value? Normally it's conservatives who champion family values, isn't it?

Old 11-12-2015, 10:13 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,605,658 times
only essential establishments should be open on thanksgiving anyway. emergency services, gas stations, yeah, even supermarkets. ill be working for about 4 hours at my part time supermarket gig on thanksgiving morning. time and a half pay, woot woot! people are procrastinating, absent-minded idiots, so I get that. might as well say I did something productive besides eating, drinking and getting fat. shopping will not be on that list though

if you are hell bent on non-online holiday shopping on thanksgiving, there is something wrong with you. you either have no life or are a materialistic sheep. god forbid you cant wait until black Friday like the rest of the ghetto street trash to pick up cheap, crappy, china made products that your family members will probably return the day after Christmas anyway. I know I wont be even venturing into the outside world on black Friday either. I have it off work, but I use it as a mental health day indoors. while the others use that day off as a perfect excuse to act mentally ill.

the only reason other places open on thanksgiving is because American consumers are stupid and desperate enough to go to these places to take advantage of "deals". while all these deals really consists of is marking up the price, and then throwing a "70% off" tag on it. if you watch the news of these holiday shopping shenanigans, 80% of the people in those videos are fat, poor, and stupid enough to fall for it. hell, I never see fat people run so fast once they open those doors! and those people that get trampled? they expect us to feel sorry for them? its just a combo of social Darwinism and karma biting them in the ass.

oh, you cant stand the thought of spending the day with your family that you hate? boo hoo. go volunteer at a soup kitchen or something. and wtf is wrong with ppl on here? labeling people liberals or cons. waahhh, the libs are infringing on my freedoms to spend money I don't have on useless crap on a holiday! the cons are chums with the evil slavedriving moneyhungry corporations. I wasn't aware that this was a political thing. the polarization and division of this country nowadays is appalling. people like this is precisely what is wrong with this country in the first place.

I never understood the appeal anyway. besides, I am always too drunk off eggnog and doped up on tryptophan to do anything else

Last edited by StAcKhOuSe; 11-12-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 10:21 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,856,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
only essential establishments should be open on thanksgiving anyway. emergency services, gas stations, yeah, even supermarkets. ill be working for about 4 hours at my part time supermarket gig on thanksgiving morning. time and a half pay, woot woot! people are procrastinating, absent-minded idiots, so I get that. might as well say I did something productive besides eating, drinking and getting fat.

if you are hell bent on non-online holiday shopping on thanksgiving, there is something wrong with you. you either have no life or are a materialistic sheep. god forbid you cant wait until black Friday like the rest of the ghetto street trash to pick up cheap, crappy, china made products that your family members will probably return the day after Christmas anyway. I know I wont be even venturing into the outside world on black Friday either.

the only reason other places open on thanksgiving is because American consumers are stupid and desperate enough to go to these places to take advantage of "deals". while all these deals really consists of is marking up the price, and then throwing a "70% off" tag on it. if you watch the news of these holiday shopping shenanigans, 80% of the people in those videos are fat, poor, and stupid enough to fall for it. hell, I never see fat people run so fast once they open those doors! and those people that get trampled? they expect us to feel sorry for them? its just a combo of social Darwinism and karma biting them in the ass.

oh, you cant stand the thought of spending the day with your family that you hate? boo hoo. go volunteer at a soup kitchen or something. and wtf is wrong with ppl on here? labeling people liberals or cons. waahhh, the libs are infringing on my freedoms to spend money I don't have on useless crap on a holiday! the cons are chums with the evil slavedriving moneyhungry corporations. I wasn't aware that this was a political thing. the polarization and division of this country nowadays is appalling. people like this is precisely what is wrong with this country in the first place.

I never understood the appeal anyway. besides, I am always too drunk off eggnog and doped up on tryptophan to do anything else

Glad to know that you feel that you have the right to dictate how businesses should run their business and how people should celebrate their thanksgiving.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 AM

6,625 posts, read 3,754,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Dozens of stores to remain closed on Thanksgiving night - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

So glad retailers are listening. If you want to shop on Thanksgiving, shop online.

A few in my extended family who had jobs in retail had to work last year for the 1st time on Thanksgiving, until midnight. Ridiculous.

Happy Holidays
GOOD! I refuse to shop at brick and mortar stores on Thanksgiving. GIVE THE EMPLOYEES A DAY OFF, WHY DON'TCHA!

Old 11-12-2015, 10:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 3,754,399 times
Quote:
only essential establishments should be open on thanksgiving anyway. emergency services, gas stations, yeah, even supermarkets. ill be working for about 4 hours at my part time supermarket gig on thanksgiving morning. time and a half pay, woot woot! people are procrastinating, absent-minded idiots, so I get that. might as well say I did something productive besides eating, drinking and getting fat.

if you are hell bent on non-online holiday shopping on thanksgiving, there is something wrong with you. you either have no life or are a materialistic sheep. god forbid you cant wait until black Friday like the rest of the ghetto street trash to pick up cheap, crappy, china made products that your family members will probably return the day after Christmas anyway. I know I wont be even venturing into the outside world on black Friday either.

This is so true. Americans now are shopping addicts. They shop all the time, even in the middle of the night. Companies now have huge advertising budgets, because apparently advertising works.

Americans go into debt to buy things they don't even need, and sometimes may not want that much. Have a smartphone that's great and works great? Get rid of it! There's a new version out!

Now pharmaceutical companies have jumped on the bandwagon, advertising to the masses to get them to ask their doctors for medications they'd never think of asking for. The advertising works like a charm.

It's insane.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:40 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,556,449 times
Quote:
only essential establishments should be open on thanksgiving anyway. emergency services, gas stations, yeah, even supermarkets. ill be working for about 4 hours at my part time supermarket gig on thanksgiving morning. time and a half pay, woot woot! people are procrastinating, absent-minded idiots, so I get that. might as well say I did something productive besides eating, drinking and getting fat. shopping will not be on that list though

if you are hell bent on non-online holiday shopping on thanksgiving, there is something wrong with you. you either have no life or are a materialistic sheep. god forbid you cant wait until black Friday like the rest of the ghetto street trash to pick up cheap, crappy, china made products that your family members will probably return the day after Christmas anyway. I know I wont be even venturing into the outside world on black Friday either. I have it off work, but I use it as a mental health day indoors. while the others use that day off as a perfect excuse to act mentally ill.

Just leave it up to the employees if they want to work? I like Black Friday. I hate turkey and the whole traditional meal. I'll get a nice sub for dinner.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:44 AM

3,939 posts, read 7,527,935 times
When I was paid by the hour I was glad to have holiday time-and-a-half. People feel good about stores being closed on Thanksgiving, but many workers feel better about getting paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events