U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:11 PM
 
4,899 posts, read 2,706,484 times
Reputation: 4383

Advertisements

Dozens of stores to remain closed on Thanksgiving night - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

So glad retailers are listening. If you want to shop on Thanksgiving, shop online.

A few in my extended family who had jobs in retail had to work last year for the 1st time on Thanksgiving, until midnight. Ridiculous.

Happy Holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Inland Northwest
1,793 posts, read 1,142,890 times
Reputation: 1845
I worked at Wal-Mart one Thanksgiving, it didn't kill me. Motivated me to finish my college degree and find a job that had major holidays off.

Only in America do we want big brother to do something for us, so we can take the credit.

Ever been to a mall on the weekend? American consumers are dicks. If they were actually outwardly aware and conscious of what other people go through to bring them their trinkets....well they wouldn't be "consumers" anymore would they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:18 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, CA
674 posts, read 436,284 times
Reputation: 792
So here we have the opposite of Target's gamble (they're starting before Thanksgiving this year, according to another thread).

Let the shopping start later, bringing in the bulk of your purchases after Thanksgiving. Plusses might include less overhead cost (no employees to pay on Thanksgiving). Minuses might include reduced overall business, maybe, if all of the Thursday sales pull away potential customers.

I doubt we'll get any clear answers this year, but it's going to be fun to watch over the next few years to see if starting earlier really is the best strategy. Even if it's going, there's going to be diminishing returns eventually. Imaging trying to start your holiday shopping season on Halloween! No one would show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Oceania
8,623 posts, read 6,226,856 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Dozens of stores to remain closed on Thanksgiving night - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

So glad retailers are listening. If you want to shop on Thanksgiving, shop online.

A few in my extended family who had jobs in retail had to work last year for the 1st time on Thanksgiving, until midnight. Ridiculous.

Happy Holidays

How in the world does this thread warrant this forum? I find it neither political or controversial. It is a non topic best left to NPR bobble heads for liberals to listen to at rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:25 PM
 
371 posts, read 204,409 times
Reputation: 220
Oh well....I usually have a small list of things to get. 4 kids and a wife to shop for I take full advantage of black friday deals. This just means more pushy jerks in the way trying to grab a toy or something...guess this is where my size comes in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:25 PM
 
4,899 posts, read 2,706,484 times
Reputation: 4383
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
How in the world does this thread warrant this forum? I find it neither political or controversial. It is a non topic best left to NPR bobble heads for liberals to listen to at rush hour.
There have been quite a few debates about this in the past. There's another retail related Thanksgiving thread about Target on the forum right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:30 PM
 
4,899 posts, read 2,706,484 times
Reputation: 4383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
I worked at Wal-Mart one Thanksgiving, it didn't kill me. Motivated me to finish my college degree and find a job that had major holidays off.

Only in America do we want big brother to do something for us, so we can take the credit.

Ever been to a mall on the weekend? American consumers are dicks. If they were actually outwardly aware and conscious of what other people go through to bring them their trinkets....well they wouldn't be "consumers" anymore would they?
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Stasis
15,839 posts, read 10,001,667 times
Reputation: 8546
You are a job killer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:34 PM
 
13,364 posts, read 7,349,491 times
Reputation: 12374
Slow news day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 02:36 PM
 
4,899 posts, read 2,706,484 times
Reputation: 4383
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Slow news day.
yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top