Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 05:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
I don't get the issue - I had way over ten pages of articles collected on the double suicide bombing in Beirut and had actually quit collecting additional data long before the Paris attack happened. Beirut was covered by all the main players - AP, Reuters, AFP, UPI, Xinhua, and the most detailed from Daily Star Lebanon.

A four man team set off to bomb a Hezbollah hospital. Bomber #1 was arrested three hours before the bombing. Hezbollah security was too rigid for the remaining three to penetrate. So Bomber # 2 goes to a very crowded (rush hour) street nearby and blows himself up. Bombers #3 and #4 wait five minutes, then bomber #3 blows himself up, inadvertently killing bomber #4, who was standing too close. (No one ever said they hire geniuses for this job.) Forty-three dead and two hundred and something (I forgot the exact number) injured.

Within 48 hours, Lebanese authorities had wrapped up the entire cell; those under arrest are awaiting trial.

Stunning irony: Hezbollah introduced suicide bombing to the world in 1982. (Be careful what you invent - it will get turned against you someday.) (Um..., come to think of it, memo to the US re: nuclear weapons...)

If anyone is upset that they didn't hear about Beirut, it is only because they aren't getting real news. Might not have made Facebook or Comedy Central, but it certainly was the main news out of the Middle East that Thursday.
Long before? Beirut happened on Thursday, Paris happened Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Were they born to Muslim immigrant parents? First generation and second plus generation can be very different from one another, even here in America.
No idea.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:27 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Except that France doesn't kill innocent people like ISIS. You made that part up.

ISIS kills people because it wants to. It has nothing to do with French foreign policy.
^^^This post brought to you by the 500lb laser guided bomb. Because that way, you don't kill innocent people, you just have "collateral damage".

You really should read up on drone strike statistics too.

The humanitarian group Doctors without appendages might want to chime in as well.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No idea.
I'd bet money that they were. How many "Pierre's" or "Jean Claude's" with roots in France going back hundreds of years or even just decades would do such a thing? I'd be willing to bet almost none compared to children of immigrants from Muslim countries. It's unusual for a non-Muslim to suddenly join Isis. Possible, but rare.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Were they born to Muslim immigrant parents? First generation and second plus generation can be very different from one another, even here in America.
Their parents and relatives should be dragged into court and questioned. They should be prosecuted for reckless endangerment by hiding what their kids did. And don’t tell me they didn’t know.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I'd bet money that they were. How many "Pierre's" or "Jean Claude's" with roots in France going back hundreds of years or even just decades would do such a thing? I'd be willing to bet almost none compared to children of immigrants from Muslim countries. It's unusual for a non-Muslim to suddenly join Isis. Possible, but rare.
How many Americans with roots going back hundreds of years here have terrorized our nation during their mass shootings and bombings? Food for thought.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Their parents and relatives should be dragged into court and questioned. They should be prosecuted for reckless endangerment by hiding what their kids did. And don’t tell me they didn’t know.
New twist on sins of the father?

Old 11-15-2015, 05:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How many Americans with roots going back hundreds of years here have terrorized our nation during their mass shootings and bombings? Food for thought.
But are they ideologically driven? Are they driven by their own demented understanding of their religion?

Most of those who commit mass murder, through shootings because those are too common in the US, are mentally ill. Not at all an excuse, but it's different than being loyal to your twisted view of your religion. Religions are dangerous because you can do anything and claim it's "because of your religion" or "in the name of your religion." Look at spaghetti strainer head lady from MA. "Pastafarianism." BS. People from any religion theoretically can go rogue; at the moment and for the last few decades it's the Muslims (for many historical reasons, and also IMO fundamental issues with the religion itself). There are acts of Christians and Jews who take it to the extreme they just don't regularly strap bombs to their chests or fly airplane into buildings or bomb airplanes or anything else, OR create a violent terroristic militant group and take over regions of multiple countries and distribute more terrorists around the world to attack foreign nations. Maybe they have here or there, perform an act of terror, but what is the Christian equivalent of Isis? Or al-Qaeda? Or Hamas? Or Boko Haram?... There is none.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:56 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Beirut used to be known as the "Paris of the Middle East". Now Paris could be known as the Beirut of Western Europe.

I see what you did there, though it's not funny and I don't think you were trying to make fun.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:58 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
OP I noticed that too, you bring up a good point. If say a thousand people die in Baghdad, Beirut, Damascus, Tripoli or elsewhere, it is not covered as much. But any scale of attack in Paris, London, New York or Berlin will get sympathy.

I think it can be due to several reasons, like that region is prone to terrorism while Europe is not. Or maybe racism, they are third world, while the West is first world.

Sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events