Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 08:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Gender inequality predates Christianity and thus Islam. Female circumcisn is one of those ancient practices practiced along tribal ethnic lines. It remains a common practice in some Yazidis and Coptic Christain ethnic communities.

In terms of history, the West has substantially evolved over the past 200 years, a blip in time in history.

It was not all that long ago women were not allowed to own property, vote or inherit wealth. True income inequality existed whereby a man was paid more than a women for the same job, tenure and performance. Government changed all that. Some men have yet to get over it.

There are more than 40,000 Christain denominations in the US, many of which are isolated home based churches that attempt to deny women equal rights, down to their attire and education.

Most Muslim majority countries maintain secular governments and women have more rights than say in Saudi Arabia, long time US ally.
Let me help you out with this. It's Christian, not "Christain." I know, it's a pet peeve of mine, right up there with people who wax eloquently about "Isreal" and that devil named "Satin."

Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:12 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Who should be first in line to fight for Syria? 500,000 strong, fighting age Syrian males who were capable enough to brave the high seas and reach Europe or some Frenchman? Pentagon is desperately seeking to train men to fight ISIS. Well, here they are.
If you trust them then sure. But I do not even think it is the US's responsibility to arm them or to train them.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Who should be first in line to fight for Syria? 500,000 strong, fighting age Syrian males who were capable enough to brave the high seas and reach Europe or some Frenchman? Pentagon is desperately seeking to train men to fight ISIS. Well, here they are.
Bingo! Look at all those healthy, strapping young men who are Syrian refugees! Most of them look pretty fit and trim - let's start building a ground force there. Then move on to France - they need to put boots on the ground, along with Spain and the UK - all countries who have had horrific terrorist attacks on their soil since 9/11. No need for the US to do this basically alone, with a few "token troops" from a smattering of EU and ME countries.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Umm, where do you get this information? This is patently untrue. There is absolutely no obligation for women to wear head coverings in Jordan. When you go to Jordan you will see women wearing everything from miniskirts (with no headcovering, of course ) to niqab (headcovering with veil). Many of the women wearing niqab are not locals, but are on vacation from the Gulf regions. I know there are women who have been forced into wearing head coverings, but every woman I've known who wears hijab chose to do so on her own - and in some cases without the support of the men in her family. Wrap your head around that one!

Likewise, there isn't segregation in public in Jordan. Go to the cafes, the bars (yes, they have bars - with alcohol!), shopping malls, concerts, museums, parks - you'll see women and men there, sharing the same spaces. I have yet to meet a person from Jordan who knows anyone with more than one wife, or who has been forced into a marriage. Legally, yes, fathers are favored for custody in divorce, but it was within my lifetime that mothers were almost always favored in divorce in the US. Custody cases are difficult regardless of where you live. As for honor killings - yep, when they happen, they are horrible and it is absolutely right to speak out against them and to continue working for laws that fairly punish the murderers. But here in the US, women are by far most likely to be murdered by their intimate partner. How is that any better?!?
The murderers are not sheltered by the law and these murders are not condoned by large segments of society. That's the difference.

Here are some other differences.

Though women are given the right to pursue an education and career in Jordan, this right hinges on the HUSBAND'S permission (or the father's permission). Divorce laws in Jordan are based almost entirely on Sharia law, which definitely favors men. Less than 4 percent of all property in Jordan is owned by women. The Jordanian Penal Code today still includes provisions that excuse honor crimes by granting the perpetrator leniency in punishment. 89 percent of women in Jordan between the ages of 15-29 are unemployed and Jordanian courts regularly uphold the rights of men to refuse "their" women the right to work outside the home.

I'm underwhelmed by this "bastion of Islamic progression."

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-16-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 08:24 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,093 times
When even moderate Muslims called for the death of Salman Rushdie for his book Satanic Verses, it was a pivotal moment for many people around the World on how intolerant the Muslim Religion was and still is. Yusuf Islam(Cat Stevens) praised the fatwa and even went as far to say if he saw Rushdie, he'd ring someone to come and do more damage to him than he'd like. What other religion's followers will kill you for cartoons, drawings, books or defaming Mohammed verbally? Free speech isn't alive and well in the UK and Europe when their Leaders cower from the threat of retaliation, under the guise of "tolerance". There are 57 Muslim Countries around the World, why aren't they welcoming the Syrian refugees with open arms?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:26 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The murderers are not sheltered by the law and these murders are not condoned by large segments of society. That's the difference.
Even in Jordan, a highly-respected country offering more freedom than most, the treatment of women is shameful. I simply can't accept the anecdotal experience of one or two posters here over the world-wide known truths of the tenets of Islam and how they affect women.

As I said much earlier in this thread, I won't even debate it. Islam sucks in my opinion, and I'm not happy about the importation of any more Muslims. We have enough religious nut bags of different cloaks here already.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:27 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course. Women in a country like Jordan are not living under the same conditions as women in Afghanistan.
Nor are the women in the UAE, nor Lebanon, nor Egypt, nor Bahrain, nor were the women in Syria until the war started. And honestly, Afghani women have been working hard for women's rights in Afghanistan and have seen improvements over the past decade. They still have a long, long way to go but even THEY aren't living under the same conditions that the pundits here in the West claim. Did you know that there is a higher percentage of female representation in the Afghani National Assembly than in the US Congress? Or that Afghani women work as doctors, journalists, police officers, and business owners?

It does none of us any good to believe this false narrative of what life is like in the Middle East or what the people believe. If we want to find a way to keep ourselves safe, we need to start asking questions of our Middle Eastern brethren and actually listening to their answers. We should see and understand the very real pain that the war in Iraq caused for everyday people living in the Middle East, not just the people who lived in Iraq, but those who took in literally hundreds of thousands of refugees.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:27 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Most Muslim women I know have advanced degrees. I don't think they see themselves that way.
Don't want to derail this thread, but this is my experience, as well.

I have NEVER met a Muslim woman in all my years of living in large, highly diverse northern cities (including Metro Detroit, which has one of the largest Muslim populations in the country) who fits this profile of the timid, oppressed, fearful female that we in the West like to cling to.

Muslim women, I have always found, are very confident, very opinionated, and very outspoken. They take NO crap. Don't let the hijabs or burkas fool you. That they CHOOSE to wear them in the West (yes, they DO choose to; they're not forced) is merely a visual manifestation of their fiercely strong spirits. That choice is an act of defiance of what THEY see as the more subtle oppression of women in the West, and in the US in particular, which undermines any female power with its obsessive focus on women's looks. Unlike Western women, who, they believe, tacitly consent to being judged by their body parts, Muslim women demand that they be viewed as whole beings.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-16-2015 at 09:05 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
When even moderate Muslims called for the death of Salman Rushdie for his book Satanic Verses, it was a pivotal moment for many people around the World on how intolerant the Muslim Religion was and still is. Yusuf Islam(Cat Stevens) praised the fatwa and even went as far to say if he saw Rushdie, he'd ring someone to come and do more damage to him than he'd like. What other religion's followers will kill you for cartoons, drawings, books or defaming Mohammed verbally? Free speech isn't alive and well in the UK and Europe when their Leaders cower from the threat of retaliation, under the guise of "tolerance". There are 57 Muslim Countries around the World, why aren't they welcoming the Syrian refugees with open arms?
I like how that whole "terror attack" thing ended in Texas, when those yahoos tried to storm the art exhibit.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:33 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,639,923 times
Yes they can do something they just wont. Our country is so full of do gooders and rose colored glasses and the kumbaiyah mentality and could care less about what happens here or to our citizens. Watch how the rest of the world handles things now and you will notice its just the good old USA that are looking like idiots. Dont count on us increasing our appearance of superiority much longer as right now we are definitely third world. Muslims not necessarily the problem but fanatical Islam is. We show mercy to those from other nations yet very little to our own citizens. What a crock. OUR CITIZENS NEED JOBS, OUR NATION NEEDS TO HAVE PERSONAL PRIDE AGAIN. IF you dont feel it then get out of this country and find your own new world .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events