U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 05:18 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,444,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Here's a map that shows which states are wetting their pants the most at the prospect of refugees, and which states are refusing to give in to the knee-jerk hysteria.
What a moronic statement for you to make. The reality is that while there are individuals who jump on the hysteria bandwagon, security is a very important issue for most Americans and citizens around the world. In addition, another reality is that there ARE individuals who are attempting to enter the US under the pretense of being refugees. What you are trying to sell is that all is fine with the world and it's better to be cynical about it all than to take precaution. I believe people would feel a little more comfortable and safer if everyone took a pause to take a stronger look at the vetting process.

By the way, I DO understand that terrorism can also happen in our own back yards and yes some (not all) have come here with agendas:

This stuff has been going on for quite some time:
FBI actively investigating Arizona ISIS supporters

In this article, the brother of the guy pictured used to be a co-worker of mine:
Records: Texas attack suspects from Phoenix sought to join ISIS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 05:20 PM

112 posts, read 43,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
well, I am here in Brooklyn New York, most of you don't have to worry, they will all be here, trust me on this. all the refugees will come here. they will get food stamps, housing and medical.

we already have a small muslim community about 8 blocks away with a mosque, they will feel right at home. ugh !!!

of course NY will take them, why not, we take everyone else, and pay for everyone else.....

our dumb ass president says we shouldnt shut our door on them. first the moron needs to fix everything here, because we are a freaking mess, then worry about saving the world.

vote trump - send them all back
Sending all back to where? To ISIS territory to be slaughtered? That's almost comparable to sending Jewish refugees back to Poland under Nazi rule.

Please, reconsider what you have written.

Last edited by robto; 11-18-2015 at 06:40 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 05:27 PM

112 posts, read 43,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Helping people in need is noble. Helping people in need (who thank you by blowing up your women and children) is as dumb as it gets.

Clearly we can't differentiate between the good Muslims and the bad ones, so it's time to shut the door and keep it locked.

Our responsibility (first and foremost) is to protect America, it's legal citizens and our way of life. If we can't guarantee that then we need to look at other ways to render aid.
Yeah, you know what? I can't differentiate between good gun owners and bad gun owners, so it's about time to confiscate all guns and take out of the hands of the people.

Our responsibility is first and foremost to protect our children, our citizens and public safety.

Basically , I was just following your logic and applying it to another controversial subject, can't you see the flaw of your arguments?

So basically, some of the refugees could be ISIS in disguise so we need to deny all of them them entry in order to protect ourselves - I'm gonna be honest, I find this position to be the height of cowardice.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,096,520 times
I don't know if individual states can defy a federal mandate (or whatever you want to call it). They can however make things difficult for the refugees.

None of this, however, addresses what to do with United States citizens who are being radicalized. Where do you send them?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:31 PM

4,069 posts, read 1,551,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Here's a map that shows which states are wetting their pants the most at the prospect of refugees, and which states are refusing to give in to the knee-jerk hysteria.
God bless your heart, I'm just curious - how many are you taking into your home?

p.s. - You might want to review Hawaii - Our governor has effectively recanted his warm welcome.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:55 PM

39,213 posts, read 20,334,087 times
Tom Wolf, Democrat governor of PA who wants to help the middle class by taking more of their money (raise taxes) is welcoming Syrians, potentially ISIS.

“THE AMERICAN BLOOD IS BEST, AND WE WILL TASTE IT SOON”
-- ISIS

Old 11-18-2015, 05:57 PM

39,213 posts, read 20,334,087 times
“the american blood is best, and we will taste it soon”
-- ISIS

Old 11-18-2015, 05:57 PM

5,013 posts, read 5,924,647 times
My question is..... Why do Syrians keep having children when they live in such a horrible war ridden country!? Why bring a child Into such a world!?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:11 PM

22,252 posts, read 9,457,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Some of the responses in this thread... SMH.

It's tough to be an American these days. We have to go to work, pick up the kids from school/daycare, pick up dinner, put gas in our cars, and have to make it through the week like that. We have to manage to do all this while not being shot at, or bombed, or having armed militias come by and kill our men and rape/enslave our women. Then Saturday comes around, and then we can put our feet up in our reclining chairs and scream at how idiotic the ref is for calling that last play against our old college team. Because you know, most of us in this country grew up here in relative safety and were able to go to school without being bombed, or if you're a girl, without being raped or having acid thrown on you for wanting an education. So we're educated, in spite of how hard it was for us as Americans. Then on Sunday, we do the same thing and scream at the ref for botching that call on our NFL team. We scream at the tv because by God, our lives are so hard, why can't we catch a break just one damn day a week?

Sigh.

Most Americans have no idea what a "hard" existence looks like, feels like, or even sounds like. I don't either, I'm lucky to have been born here. But I'm smart enough to realize that there are people who need real help in this world, through no fault of their own.

As some of the more intellectually challenged posters have pointed out, we don't owe these people anything. You're right, we don't. But living your life solely based on whether you owe/are owed something is a shallow, callous existence. I find these same people are the ones who are quick to defend America as the greatest country on Earth. Maybe it is... but certainly not because of your thoughts or actions.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him."

If America is so great, then act like it. Don't let fear dictate your lives and overrule your compassion.
Well stated.

The people who are screaming the loudest and are creating the most fear would also have you believe they are 'Christians'.

CINOs.

'Would Jesus take in Syrian refugees?': Washington Post asks the right question

Old 11-18-2015, 06:25 PM

172 posts, read 125,305 times
Default Constitutional Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Oh it's more than symbolic. Obama has no Constitutional right to force states and their taxpayers to accept refugees from Syria.
You are wrong. The governors do not have the right to say who can come into their states. Refugees or not. There is nothing in the constitution that gives that power to them. If this was the case, why not stop people with red hair or minorities. Take the time to read the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events