U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:43 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,731,974 times

Advertisements

I bet $1 million that the news media won't call this governors "Anti-constitutional"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 04:15 PM

9,417 posts, read 6,293,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
After Paris attacks, governors refuse to accept Syrian refugees

I'm guessing it's more symbolic than anything but perhaps with enough lawyers/all the wiggle room in the world of law these days, who knows....it might be achievable.

I'm all for LEGAL immigration. And for the need of strict checks for anyone who is entering into this country. Given this fact and the fact that I have zero faith/confidence in our government to be able to enforce such a task, I think the governors/states have a more than valid concern.
It's about F-ing time that they start standing up to little barry

Old 11-16-2015, 04:22 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,799,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Sorry to let you know, but that poster is wrong, Gov. Rick Scott is right:

"In a letter to House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Florida Gov. Rick Scott pledged his support to keeping out Syrian refugees but acknowledged that states donít have the mandate to prevent the federal government from funding resettlement programs into states."
Than the states should do what Florida did during the Cubana refugee debacale. Resettle them into containment camps and don't let them out unless it's back to whatever terror sponsored country they came from.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:25 PM

2,394 posts, read 2,067,879 times
He could settle them on federal land

Old 11-16-2015, 04:29 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,937,408 times
I've always felt the politicians who proclaim to care so much for them, they can lead by example and take a few into their own homes to care for. And fund them out of their own checkbooks.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:30 PM

2,706 posts, read 1,776,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Sure bring them in why not but they are going to be living in a internment camp like the Japanese did during WW2.

The feds don't get it. The masses don't want to take the risk. It only takes a few idiots with guns to destroy many peoples lives. We have enough problems as it is without adding more.
What is wrong with Obama? Seriously is he actually trying to destroy America?
And yet another liberal waste of skin may still become the next potus. If she does, you might as well start learning the Quaran.(did I spell it right? Who cares!)

Look folks, I'm not saying that the Repub candidates are reminding us of Reagan, Ike and Teddy R, but if Hillary gets elected, and we end up with possibly 16 straight years of Democratic rule, this country will never recover. Your kids and grandkids will never know what it feels like to live in a great America.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:40 PM

22,415 posts, read 9,522,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
They need to change it to:
'State governors refuse to accept Muslim refugees'.
If they are thinking Syria is the only Muslim country that has terrorists, think again.
That is absurd.

If we are going to start barring religious freedom in the US, could we please get rid of the fundamentalists of all religions, especially the ones who try to control the government and our laws?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:23 PM

886 posts, read 608,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
And yet another liberal waste of skin may still become the next potus. If she does, you might as well start learning the Quaran.(did I spell it right? Who cares!)

Look folks, I'm not saying that the Repub candidates are reminding us of Reagan, Ike and Teddy R, but if Hillary gets elected, and we end up with possibly 16 straight years of Democratic rule, this country will never recover. Your kids and grandkids will never know what it feels like to live in a great America.

You did not spell Qur'an correctly. SHAMEFUL, I say! Shameful!!!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:30 PM

894 posts, read 705,383 times
So I guess we can just scratch that inscription off the plaque of the Statue of Liberty, huh?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:36 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,035,699 times
Most of these state governors saying they won't accept Syrian refugees are being dishonest. The law and the Constitution are very clear: states have no say whatsoever in immigration matters! Only the Federal government does. This has been settled in the Supreme Court. The states have zero power and the governors know it.

Even if a Syrian refugee is admitted to a welcoming state, like NY or California, there is no way to stop that person from relocating to any other state in the U.S. There is no border guard on the California/Nevada border checking papers or any other state line. If you live in one of these refusing states you just might have a Syrian neighbor some day and there's nothing that can done about it. Just go say hi to your new neighbors, chances are they are good people.

I'm appalled that these governors would take a false position on an issue to score cheap political points, knowing full well they can't deliver on what they say. It's quite unethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events