Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 12:44 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What's the difference? 10,000 or 15,000? If you are so deathly afraid of them, then one is too many right? seems kind of silly to claim that 15k are more dangerous than 10k doesn't it? How about this, we will just seal the borders and not let anyone in, no more foreign tourists, no student or worker visas, no refugees; maybe then you will feel safe?
One is too many for me if they aren't properly screened/can't be screened via lack of data. 10-15k, via matter of simple math, simply increase the odds of letting an improperly screened/unscreened individual slip who we don't know if they are a great person, a murder, child molester, rapist, terrorist, etc. Common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 12:57 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
One is too many for me if they aren't properly screened/can't be screened via lack of data. 10-15k, via matter of simple math, simply increase the odds of letting an improperly screened/unscreened individual slip who we don't know if they are a great person, a murder, child molester, rapist, terrorist, etc. Common sense.
Foreign visitors aren't screened, are they? How can this outrage about refugees be legitimate if your concern doesn't extend to those here on student & work visas and tourists? It makes absolutely no sense.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:09 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,832,493 times
Gotta love this logic. We (may) have current holes in our national security, so lets just use that as validation to make it even worse.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:09 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
What's the difference? 10,000 or 15,000? If you are so deathly afraid of them, then one is too many right? seems kind of silly to claim that 15k are more dangerous than 10k doesn't it? How about this, we will just seal the borders and not let anyone in, no more foreign tourists, no student or worker visas, no refugees; maybe then you will feel safe?
The difference between 10,000 and 15,000 is 5,000. The difference between 1 and 15,000 is 14,999. If you don't know why the greater the number, the greater the risk of error, I can't help you.

I can't prove what will happen in the future, but imo we will take closer to 40k Syrian refugees than to 10k in the next two years. The unallocated 6k in 2016 will be for Syrians, the 15k increase in 2017 will be for Syrians, and refugees from other areas will be reduced to accommodate the Syrians.

btw, I feel safe, tyvm.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Foreign visitors aren't screened, are they? How can this outrage about refugees be legitimate if your concern doesn't extend to those here on student & work visas and tourists? It makes absolutely no sense.
Screening does indeed happen for foreign tourists, people with work visas, student visas, etc. Have you crossed the border into Canada or Mexico via car? Or walked? I have. You will indeed be screened. Passports checked. Both ways. If the border agent thinks you're acting suspicious, you will get pulled over for further questioning and perhaps your car will be disassembled. Happens all the time. Not sure what state you live in but border states like CA, AZ, and TX have checkpoints sometimes on major interstates or highways. It's not uncommon and I've passed through many of them. I've seen cars being pulled apart off a major highway border checkpoint in CA. Probably acting suspicious or the search dog alerted them to something in the car. And same thing with flying. You will have to go to customs and you will be searched in a database, questioned, perhaps quarantined/questioned more in depth if there are red flags.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
But does it make sense/will it count that the majority of the American people don't want syrian refugees settling in this country given our top fbi director says it's impossible to vet them and top U.S. counterterrorism officials express concern?

We'll have to see if the "king" once again ignores the will of the majority of the people he's suppose to serve/listen to and the experts at the top levels of our gov.
I feel a need to inform you on civics.

The Majority of Americans didn't want black people to have full civil rights at one time.
The Majority of Americans wanted to invade Iraq.
The Majority of Americans want stricter gun control.
The Majority of Americans believe there is a devil and a hot place where you will be sent to if you have sex outside of marriage or steal something.
The Majority of Americans didn't want to enter WWI or WWII (WWII until Pearl Harbor - proving that what the majority wants can change in one day....either way!).
The Majority of Americans don't want Corporations to be treated as people (citizens united)...

The point here is the USA is a nation of laws and of a certain tradition - and it wouldn't matter if 90% of Americans didn't want something if it's the "right thing to do".....

We don't have a king. We have a duly elected POTUS who actually won the popular and electoral vote by a fairly large amount. He or she has a fixed term and then someone else gets elected.

The POTUS does not take an oath to be a populist or a demagogue. They take an oath to the Constitution. If something is not constitutional I beseech you to petition your representatives as well as others to get involved and bring a case to the SCOTUS.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find it annoyingly ironic that so many people around the world keep complaining about the big bad U.S. imperialist hegemon, yet they then come running screaming to us for protection when the bad guys turn their sights on them. Personally, I would like to see us respond thusly:

"OK, we will bring our full military might to bear to protect you. But you will either (A) pay us the price we demand for our services, or (B) let us come in, set up a government of our own liking, colonize your country, extract your resources to pay the costs of our intervention, and do what we need to do until such time as the problem is solved."

And if they say no? Then we respond thusly: "OK, then sorry, it's not our problem, you're on your own. Good luck to you."
So the 100's of thousands of Iraqi refugees who you paid to bomb out of their homes and cities (or created as refugees due to the opening of sectarian violence).....do you consider them one of the places that asked for the full brunt of our military to help? They tried screaming when the bombs and tank rounds you paid for were killing their relatives but it didn't work - so they asked to come here once we turned their country into Mad Max.

Last edited by craigiri; 11-19-2015 at 01:55 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Screening does indeed happen for foreign tourists, people with work visas, student visas, etc. Have you crossed the border into Canada or Mexico via car? Or walked? I have. You will indeed be screened. Passports checked. Both ways. If the border agent thinks you're acting suspicious, you will get pulled over for further questioning and perhaps your car will be disassembled. Happens all the time. Not sure what state you live in but border states like CA, AZ, and TX have checkpoints sometimes on major interstates or highways. It's not uncommon and I've passed through many of them. I've seen cars being pulled apart off a major highway border checkpoint in CA. Probably acting suspicious or the search dog alerted them to something in the car. And same thing with flying. You will have to go to customs and you will be searched in a database, questioned, perhaps quarantined/questioned more in depth if there are red flags.
You must be kidding... The only thing that would keep you from getting a plane ticket to the US is lack of a passport or your name being on a no-fly list. Looking through your luggage or asking you where you are staying is not screening. Your claim has been that we shouldn't allow Syrian refugees into the US because we can't vet their activities in Syria..well that same lack of information from Syria would mean that they would be able to get a passport and travel to the US, right?

Old 11-19-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I feel a need to inform you on civics.

The Majority of Americans didn't want black people to have full civil rights at one time.
The Majority of Americans wanted to invade Iraq.
The Majority of Americans want stricter gun control.
The Majority of Americans believe there is a devil and a hot place where you will be sent to if you have sex outside of marriage or steal something.
The Majority of Americans didn't want to enter WWI or WWII (WWII until Pearl Harbor - proving that what the majority wants can change in one day....either way!).
The Majority of Americans don't want Corporations to be treated as people (citizens united)...

The point here is the USA is a nation of laws and of a certain tradition - and it wouldn't matter if 90% of Americans didn't want something if it's the "right thing to do".....

We don't have a king. We have a duly elected POTUS who actually won the popular and electoral vote by a fairly large amount. He or she has a fixed term and then someone else gets elected.

The POTUS does not take an oath to be a populist or a demagogue. They take an oath to the Constitution. If something is not constitutional I beseech you to petition your representatives as well as others to get involved and bring a case to the SCOTUS.
One of the top priorities of a politician or president is to first protect the safety and well being of its citizens. In this case of syrian refugees, if our top intelligence people have concerns and the fbi director says there is no way to assure who we are letting into this country isn't a rapist, murderer, child molester, or terrorist, etc because of lack of available data, especially from an area that is a hot bed of terrorist activities, and our elected "leader" is still hell bent on doing so, ignoring their top advisers, what do you call this in your civic lesson? I call that a "leader" failing big time to protect the people they are suppose to serve. Would you let anyone in your home to stay with you/your family if you didn't know what their background was? Hopefully you're not that naive and shouldn't be naive for letting people in this country that you have no idea who they are unless you are more knowledge than our fbi director and other top intelligence. Perhaps you can give them a civics lesson on why they are wrong on this issue and why our "leader" can ignore their serious concerns. Given this reality, this isn't the "right thing to do". And there's a pattern here, ignoring the top expert/advisers on big matters:

Former US military leader John Nagl warns Obama not to pull troops out of Afghanistan - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

"He said the Obama government's decision to withdraw troops from Iraq in 2011 was a dangerous mistake.

"I think it was a pretty critical error, he ignored the advice of his entire foreign policy team, this failure is squarely on the president's head," Dr Nagl said."

As for the "We don't have a king", and the part about them "taking an oath to the Constitution", may I suggest you read up on who can change/not change immigration laws in reference to what our current "leader" has attempted here, all alone, without working with Congress as should be done on this issue as is outlined in the laws of our country, not via a "king" like directive, solo style:

Judge: Obama's immigration move unconstitutional - CNNPolitics.com

The people have this one right. It's a common sense matter. Just because a "leader" can do something legally doesn't mean they should. It's called good judgement. If you think good judgement is to ignore the concerns of our highest intelligence is good policy/good civics, that's beyond naive to me. And frankly reckless. As I stated above, I wonder if you just invite strangers off the street, not knowing about them or their background, and let them in your house to stay with you indefinitely? That's a prime analogy to this situation.

But really, thanks for the humor and the civics lesson. And I hope I gave you a good lesson in reality. Helps to put the textbook down once in a while and open the eyes to the real world.

Last edited by stevek64; 11-19-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Speaking of doing one's research......
Why are you assuming anyone hasn't complained about this or any handouts, especially perpetual welfare handouts to refugees, citizens, etc? Here's a poll to let you know the reality of this topic:
Poll: Most Americans Feel Welfare Being Abused
Of course people think that people who are able to work should do so- I completely agree with that, but what did you prove with that link?
It's crucial for refugees to get a job as soon as possible, because they don't receive much money. Each individual gets an up-front, one-time allowance of $1,125 from the federal government, which Catholic Charities uses to help set up their housing. From there, they may receive refugee cash assistance of $335 per month for as long as eight months. Depending on employment status and whether they have children, the refugees might also be eligible for food stamps.

And there is this: 67% of refugee men obtain employment vs 60% of US born men, refugee women are employed at the same rate as US born women ~ 54%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events