Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,069,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Honestly I get sick of all the moments of silence before events. It does not mean I do not think the incident or people the moment of silence is meant to honor is not important but I just do not "get" them in certain venues.

I never boo though.
Why? Is it too much trouble for you to shut up and not look at your phone for thirty seconds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 04:35 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,286,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Turkey apparently also purchases a lot of oil from ISIS and has strong links to ISIS. Why does anyone anywhere think western nations have any sort of real ally in Turkey?

Opposition MP says ISIS is selling oil in Turkey - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

Links between Turkey and ISIS are now 'undeniable' - Business Insider

In the past, Turkey was overseen by a military Junta with very strong secular, anti-Islamist views.

They would quietly stay out of the light, and allow the civilian government to run the country as long as the Islamists were not part of it.

Anytime an Islamist party would win the election, the Turkish military would overthrow them.

In the past 15-20 years, this all changed. Erdogan is an openly Islamist leader who gutted the military and ensured there will be no coups against him. Turkey is trying to become one of the leading forces in the Islamic world.

So, yes Turkey used to be a real ally, probably not for much longer.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,911,272 times
Maybe it is time for the French to get the guillotines working again.

LiveLeak.com - Rare Video Of Three Guillotine Executions

Old 11-18-2015, 04:54 PM

5,776 posts, read 5,077,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I can live with that. We have people that cheer when Muslims die, this isn't a one-sided problem. There are people you are embarrassed to have yourself associated with in every demographic. Right now I want to smack a middle school principal in San Fransisco for embarrassing educators.
So, a world wide commemoration for those who died from terrorist attack in Paris...yet no one cares about the Russians who died on that plane a few days ago? How about the Turks who died during that peace rally? What about more than 70 Chinese who died from a bunch of crazy Uyghur Muslims with long knives in Kunming a few years ago? Nobody cares about these non-Europeans but now everyone is all over themselves over the dead in Paris? I can totally understand the Turks.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:37 PM

132 posts, read 91,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
So, a world wide commemoration for those who died from terrorist attack in Paris...yet no one cares about the Russians who died on that plane a few days ago? How about the Turks who died during that peace rally? What about more than 70 Chinese who died from a bunch of crazy Uyghur Muslims with long knives in Kunming a few years ago? Nobody cares about these non-Europeans but now everyone is all over themselves over the dead in Paris? I can totally understand the Turks.
You have a valid point. Don't also forget about Beirut and Bagdad and of course Kenya with the 147 killed in April as well as the deaths in Nigeria and the other countries in Africa.

The article below gives a good analysis of the Western bias and the media with the deaths in Beirut, Bagdad, Kenya and Nigeria.

Quote:
While the world mourns for Paris, we should mourn for the lives lost and the disruption of peace across the world, not just in countries we have vacationed in.
Acts of terror like those occurring in Paris, Beirut and Baghdad are equally tragic due to the loss of innocent lives not particular to a single nationality. It is a humanity problem, and we are just as responsible for promotion of peace in Lebanon and Iraq as we are for France.
Quote:
For Kato, some of the blame lies with the domestic media who have failed to help “Nigerians empathise, or value the lives of Nigerians”. She gives the example of the 276 Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014, a story that went viral only after the #bringbackourgirls tag was circulated by activists online, bringing the story to an international audience. “CNN is never ever going to prioritise Nigerians over Americans... it’s up to us,” she said.
http://www.newsrecord.org/opinion/op...1a1a6fd4a.html

Paris attacks:

Last edited by crazysoul; 11-18-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 06:46 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,406,393 times
I remember freedom fries.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,093,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
1) NATO cannot give up on Turkey, as they are strategically important in that region.
2) Out of all sports fans, Soccer fans are dumbest.
Nonsense. We have Greece, and other Balkan countries.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,093,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
What evidence do you have the allahu-akbar chanting Turkish fans employed this reasoning?

Old 11-18-2015, 08:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,430,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Muslims hating west is nothing new.
What's new is west bringing those haters into their own society and hoping they don't hate.

They are right, they don't hate, they just blow everyone up.
One of the best and most thoughtful posts I have seen on the entire subjet in the last couple of days.

Great critical thinking

Why invite people here that hate us so they can start trouble

Old 11-18-2015, 10:41 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,269,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Outrageous. Incidentally, Kemal Ataturk would turn in his grave.
He did some time ago. Islam has reemerged in Turkey as a social and political force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events