Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not in favor of the violence reported in these articles, but they are a bit different than the Muslim terrorism going on. Here are a couple of quotes from the Washington Post article about the chaos in the Central African Republic:

In other words, the Christian violence is not simply a case of one group attacking another without any provocation, such as what you're finding with the Muslim groups like Boko Haram.

So when the Muslims are gone, the area stabilizes. Notice that in other parts of the world, areas that are filled with Muslims tend to be the least stable of any.
Opinions differ:

The Paris Attacks In My Vibrant, Multicultural Neighborhood | KUER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Kinda ironic how Paris get most of the attention, but then nobody has cared about Africa.
From an American perspective, I can think of several reasons for this:

- More Americans have been to Paris than to Africa, so they can relate to it more.

- Most Americans feel more of a kinship and similarity with middle-class, First World Parisians than they do with poor, Third World Africans.

- Paris is generally seen as a peaceful place (though obviously it is not free from violence), whereas Africa is seen (somewhat fairly, somewhat not) as a violence-ridden place; so it's more surprising when a terrorist atrocity takes place in Paris.

- Related to this, the violence in Africa is so entrenched and so long-lasting that it seems intractable; so some people may have given up caring in despair of there ever being a solution.

- The terrorist attack in Paris seemingly came out of the blue, whereas the violence in Nigeria and the Central African Republic (and other places in Africa) has been ongoing for quite some time.

- And, let's not forget the possible explanation that the more cynical among us would probably rank at the top: white Americans care more about their fellow white people in Paris than they do about black people in Africa.

Fair or not, but any or all of these could explain why there is more attention being given to Paris than to Africa.

For what it's worth, I am perfectly capable of caring about both places at the same time. I have been to Paris, and fell in love with it; so it grieves me to see her people suffer. I've never been to Africa, but I do have friends there, including in Nigeria; and I fear for their safety and shudder to think of their country being threatened by the Boko Haram savages.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
From an American perspective, I can think of several reasons for this:

- More Americans have been to Paris than to Africa, so they can relate to it more.

- Most Americans feel more of a kinship and similarity with middle-class, First World Parisians than they do with poor, Third World Africans.

- Paris is generally seen as a peaceful place (though obviously it is not free from violence), whereas Africa is seen (somewhat fairly, somewhat not) as a violence-ridden place; so it's more surprising when a terrorist atrocity takes place in Paris.

- Related to this, the violence in Africa is so entrenched and so long-lasting that it seems intractable; so some people may have given up caring in despair of there ever being a solution.

- The terrorist attack in Paris seemingly came out of the blue, whereas the violence in Nigeria and the Central African Republic (and other places in Africa) has been ongoing for quite some time.

- And, let's not forget the possible explanation that the more cynical among us would probably rank at the top: white Americans care more about their fellow white people in Paris than they do about black people in Africa.

Fair or not, but any or all of these could explain why there is more attention being given to Paris than to Africa.

For what it's worth, I am perfectly capable of caring about both places at the same time. I have been to Paris, and fell in love with it; so it grieves me to see her people suffer. I've never been to Africa, but I do have friends there, including in Nigeria; and I fear for their safety and shudder to think of their country being threatened by the Boko Haram savages.
Good post.

There are too many differences between Nigeria and Paris to name. But the similarity is that both places are enduring terrorist attacks by Islamic extremists.

My gosh, if I changed my FB profile picture or flew a flag for every country suffering under radical Islamist ideology or terrorist attacks, I'd be busy all day and all night, every day and every night, indefinitely.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I'm just going to assume that "Pray for Africa" won't be trending.
I pray for Africa pretty regularly. Did so today. Will likely do so again tomorrow, and the day after that.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:08 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not much difference between Christians, Muslims and others in some places.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...5fb_story.html

Hindus attack Muslims in India, 15 killed | Asia-Pacific | Worldbulletin News

Doesn't really make sense to single out one group when culture ultimately plays a larger role.
Please stop... Christians are not attacking the world with bombs and military weaponry.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:05 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,670 times
Ummm, Boko Haram has been dispatching suicide bombers four at a time for months and months. They've hit Nigeria, Chad and Cameroon - all quite frequently. The only thing unusual about this bombing is that it is their first in three weeks - something of a hiatus.

Boko Haram means, literally, 'western education is forbidden.' While they do practice a really fundamentalist form of Islam, they are really all about power and control over territory and populations. And many of them, like their leader, are psychopaths. I've always considered them as the Nigerian version of the Lords Resistance Army (another group of psychopaths running around a different part of Africa, but who are not Islamists).

In my opinion, they swore their allegiance to IS only in exchange for cash, weapons and training. If it came down to who they were going to obey, they'd obey their own leader over Caliph al-Baghdadi.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:10 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24
"Lagos, Nigeria (CNN)At least 31 people were killed and 72 others injured in a bomb blast in the northeastern Nigerian city of Yola on Tuesday evening, according to Aliyu Maikano, a local Red Cross official."
Very sad....... Those poor people!!

Old 11-19-2015, 05:27 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Eleven years old? How sick is that, I hate these terrorists.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:51 AM

861 posts, read 852,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Ummm, Boko Haram has been dispatching suicide bombers four at a time for months and months. They've hit Nigeria, Chad and Cameroon - all quite frequently. The only thing unusual about this bombing is that it is their first in three weeks - something of a hiatus.

Boko Haram means, literally, 'western education is forbidden.' While they do practice a really fundamentalist form of Islam, they are really all about power and control over territory and populations. And many of them, like their leader, are psychopaths. I've always considered them as the Nigerian version of the Lords Resistance Army (another group of psychopaths running around a different part of Africa, but who are not Islamists).

In my opinion, they swore their allegiance to IS only in exchange for cash, weapons and training. If it came down to who they were going to obey, they'd obey their own leader over Caliph al-Baghdadi.
correct the situation is largely complicated by northern politicians who also sponsor boko haram at times to further their political agendas. Most recently regular bombings and attacks made the out going leader GEJ look weak and incompetent.

boko haram only loosely means western education is forbidden. Boko literally means 'foreign' and 'haram' means forbidden. In reality the northerners originally wanted to assert the primacy of their religion, culture and values. This was a relatively noble intention given they originally ran a successful political entity in the form of the 'sokoto caliphate' . That more noble original intention has been lost to a desire to acquire power for largely financial gain..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events