Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 12:55 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What this guy said.
What about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Sorry that I think on a higher level than "high school biology."
If you want me to understand what and why you think and feel as you do, then you'll need to offer an explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 07:25 AM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Are you suggesting that all transgenders are such because of genetic anomalies?
Nope. I'm telling you that it's a scientific fact that not all women have xx and not all men have xy.

Some have both.

People state the "well if you have xy chromosomes you're a male." argument as gospel. As if that's it. As if that's the sole determining factor. Well, it's not.

It's extremely complex. There are cultures that have recognized that gender is not absolute and have more than our two gender classifications. Because there have been gender ambiguous people since the beginning of time. Sometimes it's due to congenital genetic abnormalities. Those are well documented. Turners syndrome, chimerism, mosaics, Klinefelter Syndrome, true Hermaphroditism. But given that sexual differentiation is a complex process involving genes, hormones, the CNS and the brain, who knows exactly how this occurs or why? There's a lot of variables at play here. One thing that's pretty obvious to me, is that this "feeling" of being a sex other than your primary characteristics, is not a "feeling" at all, it's a biologically driven fact.

If the below can occur, then we don't know wtf else could be going on that we don't know about yet.

Quote:
Genetically Determined Disorders of Sexual Differentiation

Typical sexual development is the result of numerous genes, and mutation in any of these genes can result in partial or complete failure of sex differentiation. These include mutations or structural anomalies of the SRY region on the Y chromosome resulting in XY gonadal dysgenesis, XX males, or XY females; defects of androgen biosynthesis or androgen receptors, and others.
WHO | Gender and Genetics

One day, likely when we're long dead, they'll find the switch (or combination of switches) that turns this on, and we'll look like the barbarians we are for treating these people like social outcasts and pariahs.

Honestly, one might as well go around killing people because they have one blue eye and one brown. Makes as much sense.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:45 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Current event.

Today is the International Day of Rememberance for the 27 trans people murdered in the US, and 271 murdered around the world due to hate and intolerance.

There is no acceptable reason for this. It is unacceptable of a society where everyone is supposed to be equal.

How We'll Remember U.S. Trans Women Killed in 2015 | Advocate.com
Awesome a day that I can forget

Old 11-22-2015, 09:12 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
What about it?

If you want me to understand what and why you think and feel as you do, then you'll need to offer an explanation.
I already gave an explanation for my thoughts, and I agree with FinsterRufus. I said that I think it is a process that goes wrong in fetal development, like many other abnormalities. I said that babies can be born with ambiguous genitalia, among other defects, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for gender identity in the brain versus what is physically there between the legs to go wrong as well. The whole process of development is very complex. Hormones and DNA are easy to screw up. Very easy. I don't doubt it's something that happens during development and it's not a random "feeling" someone gets or a choice. Transgender children can tell you from a very young age, 2-3 maybe even younger, that they feel as if they are not who they physically are on the outside. That shows me they are born like that.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:41 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,972,549 times
America is turning into Sodom and Gommorah.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
America is turning into Sodom and Gommorah.
Uh huh. Well, we could just stone the transgendered I suppose. Literally, not figuratively as we (as a society) do now. Save people the trouble and strife of committing non sanctioned murder against them. That should prevent us from being turned into salt statues. Do you think that would be enough for God, or what? Seems to work for other cultures.

While you're at it, would you ask Him why we have people that are different and if we're supposed to revile them, why He created them in the first place?

Old 11-22-2015, 10:25 AM

I would like to be clear about something. Regardless of what causes people to be somewhere on the gender spectrum outside of what we consider normal, the real question is is it a problem or is it not?

Imo, the issue lies with those who cannot and will not accept people for who they are, which promotes violence and exclusion, makes people totally comfortable mocking and vilifying persons that have done nothing to them and are not a threat in any way, and who don't deserve it any more than someone born with 6 fingers.

Whatever the person decides to do about it regarding treatment or not is between them and their doctor. But it wouldn't be anywhere near the issue it is if people didn't react with such hate and revulsion. Because people used to do that to anyone different, until we learned how to be better human beings.

Eventually we'll be ashamed of the freak show mentality on display in this thread.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:31 AM

311 posts, read 292,613 times
The people committing these crimes against trans people are mostly dumb criminals.
I seriously doubt their ability to comprehend all this logic/science talk.
When they commit a crime, lock 'em up. There isn'tt much you can do about it.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I would like to be clear about something. Regardless of what causes people to be somewhere on the gender spectrum outside of what we consider normal, the real question is is it a problem or is it not?
Lately, I'm reading about minors being introduced to transgendering processes, beginning with puberty blockers, because either they or their parents feel they are either too effeminate to be boys or too masculine to be girls, when all they are are gay kids. No blockers, hormones, or (eventually) surgery needed. Just time and peace and being allowed to grow into the adults they will become without intervention.

ETA: I just found a website that discusses this at length, and more articulately than I have above.

http://www.transgendertrend.com/

Last edited by jay5835; 11-22-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 11-22-2015, 12:07 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
It is sad when most people are murdered (leaning towards criminals with this comment), but I don't see how their deaths are more tragic than the average Joe or Jane Schmo that got murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events