Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:45 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times

Advertisements

And so it begins.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2448085

Quote:
Call it Black-eye Friday.

Brawls broke out at Walmart retail stores and other shopping centers all across the country on Black Friday, which now actually begins at Thursday at 6 p.m. During one incident a Texas man can be seen swinging wildly at a police officer during a brawl.

Shoppers fought at a Louisville, Ky., mall on Thanksgiving night, wrestling each other to the ground in a packed food court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71pGdbipU6I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 10:53 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
And the large retailers who fuel this ridiculous behavior are laughing all the way to the bank. Of course it's the consumers who are acting badly, but the retail stores are really the ones setting the stage for it.
Unless I absolutely have to, I don't do any shopping during the month of December (except groceries). It's just not worth the aggravation.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:54 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
I don't shop on Black Friday.

I also don't spend my time wringing my hands over those who do, or over their behavior.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:59 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Yep, the holiday spirit in full swing once again....fighting, looting, standing in line for day(s) to get in on a sale for material items to save $, etc.

Why people do this in this day in age with online shopping and such is beyond me but hey, to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
And the large retailers who fuel this ridiculous behavior are laughing all the way to the bank. Of course it's the consumers who are acting badly, but the retail stores are really the ones setting the stage for it.
Blame the messenger game, eh? That's like blaming those who sell cars for a great price as the responsible party for those who drive reckless and kill/badly injure someone.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yep, the holiday spirit in full swing once again....fighting, looting, standing in line for day(s) to get in on a sale for material items to save $, etc.

Why people do this in this day in age with online shopping and such is beyond me but hey, to each their own.

Blame the messenger game, eh? That's like blaming those who sell cars for a great price as the responsible party for those who drive reckless and kill/badly injure someone.
No it isn't, unless the person buying the flat screen tv beats someone over head with it on the way home. But using the car dealer example, if the dealer was selling 2 brand new Lexus for $5 grand each but only on a certain day, and was preceded by a month long ad campaign, you would have the same senario. That was my point, the stores create the demand with huge discounts for a limited quantity starting on a specific day. That's going to bring out the worst kind of behavior from customers... almost guaranteed.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 AM

321 posts, read 419,722 times
I don't feel like getting punched in the face over a TV special, so I decided to work instead today. To each their own I guess

Old 11-27-2015, 11:14 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,814 times
Pretty quiet around here this year at the local mall. If derps want to get into fistfights over 20$ tea makers why should I care?

Old 11-27-2015, 11:28 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
No it isn't, unless the person buying the flat screen tv beats someone over head with it on the way home. But using the car dealer example, if the dealer was selling 2 brand new Lexus for $5 grand each but only on a certain day, and was preceded by a month long ad campaign, you would have the same senario. That was my point, the stores create the demand with huge discounts for a limited quantity starting on a specific day. That's going to bring out the worst kind of behavior from customers... almost guaranteed.
I know exactly what you are saying. However, my point is one shouldn't be looking at blaming the messenger for doing something that is legal, ie stores offering steep discounts, car dealers offering $5 grand Lexus's in your example, 300k houses for $10k each, etc if they want.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,789 times
It is always at Walmart EVERY YEAR.
I am still waiting for bigger incident on news happening in Walmart.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
I'm going outside for a walk in the park.

Thanks REI! #OptOutside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events