U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should they shut down mosques in America?
Yes 75 19.38%
No 270 69.77%
No, but they should keep a database of all muslims 42 10.85%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2015, 11:50 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,682 posts, read 8,484,316 times
Reputation: 7034

Advertisements

The idea that things like this are even being discussed is very disturbing. Over on the PO&C forum there is an thread where a considerable number of posters (all of whom are extreme far-right Trump supporters) think that it's ok to just ban American citizens from owning firearms just because they happen to be Muslims.

I have always considered myself to be pretty conservative and I am a registered Republican but as of late it seems that the GOP is becoming more and more of a right wing populist party and less of a "constitutionalist" party. The US Constitution plainly says that we have religious freedom but here we have all these faux "conservatives" saying that Muslims should be denied fundamental rights, Mosques should be shut down en masse, and we should create a massive police state apparatus. It seems that a significant (and growing) portion of the GOP base believes that constitutional liberties should only apply to White Christians and Jews, and the Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, etc are incapable of being "real Americans".

Huh? WTF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:01 PM
 
20,549 posts, read 16,619,414 times
Reputation: 38581
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The idea that things like this are even being discussed is very disturbing. Over on the PO&C forum there is an thread where a considerable number of posters (all of whom are extreme far-right Trump supporters) think that it's ok to just ban American citizens from owning firearms just because they happen to be Muslims.

I have always considered myself to be pretty conservative and I am a registered Republican but as of late it seems that the GOP is becoming more and more of a right wing populist party and less of a "constitutionalist" party. The US Constitution plainly says that we have religious freedom but here we have all these faux "conservatives" saying that Muslims should be denied fundamental rights, Mosques should be shut down en masse, and we should create a massive police state apparatus. It seems that a significant (and growing) portion of the GOP base believes that constitutional liberties should only apply to White Christians and Jews, and the Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, etc are incapable of being "real Americans".

Huh? WTF?
Thank you for this post. I don't know why people don't seem to realize if we actually do the things asked in the poll, we cease to be America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,661 posts, read 9,709,922 times
Reputation: 12210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
I am against that 100%, I know some people think at the very least they should keep a database of all Muslims in this country. What do you think?
Very clever. Three options and any one of them validates your opinion. How about a 4th choice. Shut down mosques that incite people under the pretense of religion. I suppose you just couldnít think of that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:29 PM
 
7,328 posts, read 4,012,610 times
Reputation: 9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Very clever. Three options and any one of them validates your opinion. How about a 4th choice. Shut down mosques that incite people under the pretense of religion. I suppose you just couldnít think of that one.
Does that mean we can shut down christian identity and sovereign nation churches or whatever you call them? That's who I would like to shut down. When do we start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,661 posts, read 9,709,922 times
Reputation: 12210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Of course not; it would simply alienate all Muslims and drive the radical element further underground
Itís been 15 years since 9/11 when Bush took his shoes off, entered a DC mosque and announced to the world that based on his deep understanding Islam is a religion of peace. In the next 15 years every president has bent backwards not to alienate muslims. What do we have to show for it? When is this good will going to pay off? Stop fooling yourself. They do what they want to do. Nothing that you say or do is going to make a difference. What have you learned all these years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:34 PM
 
4,095 posts, read 2,038,814 times
Reputation: 3954
Not all, but if a mosque preaches hate towards the Infidels or Western civilization it should be shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,661 posts, read 9,709,922 times
Reputation: 12210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
McVeigh and Nichols weren't Muslims. Neither was the Unabomber, Ted Kaczinski. The KKK, certainly a terrorist organization if there ever was one, was for white Christians only. How many mass shooters have been Muslims?
Which chapter and verse from the Bible was McVeigh quoting when pushed the button? How do you say Allahu Akbar in English? You must be a novice. This talking point is real old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:43 PM
 
20,108 posts, read 11,152,482 times
Reputation: 20147
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Not all, but if a mosque preaches hate towards the Infidels or Western civilization it should be shut down.
There are Christian pastors who preach hate toward the Infidels and Western civilization, too.

Of course, if you shut them down you also cut off the intelligence opportunities they provide without shutting down any of the actual operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,661 posts, read 9,709,922 times
Reputation: 12210
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous questions on CD. If they shut down all the Catholic churches then I guess the Mosques should go also, but, until that time
Are they inciting killings at Sunday mass? What would you do if they did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:48 PM
 
34,370 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Reputation: 29858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
I am against that 100%, I know some people think at the very least they should keep a database of all Muslims in this country. What do you think?
I wonder what % of the Muslim community ISIS represents or is sympathetic to the ISIS cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top