Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they shut down mosques in America?
Yes 77 18.08%
No 304 71.36%
No, but they should keep a database of all muslims 45 10.56%
Voters: 426. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:46 PM

367 posts, read 487,627 times

Advertisements

I am against that 100%, I know some people think at the very least they should keep a database of all Muslims in this country. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 06:48 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Of course not; it would simply alienate all Muslims and drive the radical element further underground.

But if the majority of Muslims in America are peace-loving and want nothing more than to pursue their personal goals and ideals, somebody has to step forward, speak for that responsible majority, and aid in the identification and neutralization of the radical Islamist cancer within your ranks. For whatever reason, there appears to be no effort to demonstrate this resolve within Muslim circles in any part of the First World.

I've worked in only one facility which had a substantial Muslim presence (a distribution warehouse); the Muslim workers there (respectfully) asked for, and got, a small private area in which to practice their daily obligation to pray -- no problem. But the majority of those individuals were young women; they limited any personal interaction to within their own circle, and many would speak to a male only when absolutely necessary.

It wasn't that long ago that similar subjugation of women was practiced among many Christian sects, and the practice continues among more than a few, albeit at a much subtler level, to this day.

Despite five centuries of progress and enlightenment -- the pursuit and abuse of power, particularly when embodied in the form of a nation-state, is alive and well everywhere in the world. The theocrats, dwindling in influence in advancing societies, remain alive, well and vicious in much of the world, but particularly in the Middle East, and too much of "progressive" Western society seeks merely to cosmeticize this danger by replacing religious demagoguery with Big Brother and Big Sister.

And meanwhile, those effete Europeans the "progressives" are so eager to copy are feeding the flames by fostering an influx of embittered Muslims to do der Krapwerk for them.

All of western civilization is sitting on a huge powder keg, and only the emergence of a moderate and responsible, yet forceful and outspoken contingent within the Muslim world would appear to be able to mitigate the threat. That possibility seems distressingly remote at present.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-20-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 AM

324 posts, read 270,917 times
Unless our omnipotent government shuts down ALL hate organizations then no.

Westboro Baptist church comes to mind, some branch of Black Panthers even the NAACP........

Old 11-21-2015, 07:12 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
NO of course they should not be shut down but they should be watched in case what is going on in there is dangerous to the public. That also goes for any religion, cult or group.

One of the freedoms of America is that you can discuss anything you want but when that discussion turns to action that threatens the general public then that is a problem.

Right now we are seeing a problem with muslim terrorists that want to kill us.

I know it is not all muslims but the terrorists are always muslim. We would be stupid to not keep an eye on them.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:11 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
NO of course they should not be shut down but they should be watched in case what is going on in there is dangerous to the public. That also goes for any religion, cult or group.

One of the freedoms of America is that you can discuss anything you want but when that discussion turns to action that threatens the general public then that is a problem.

Right now we are seeing a problem with muslim terrorists that want to kill us.

I know it is not all muslims but the terrorists are always muslim. We would be stupid to not keep an eye on them.
McVeigh and Nichols weren't Muslims. Neither was the Unabomber, Ted Kaczinski. The KKK, certainly a terrorist organization if there ever was one, was for white Christians only. How many mass shooters have been Muslims?

It seems to me that maybe we should keep an eye on gun-loving conspiracy theorists and loners, especially those who frequent hate group websites.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:13 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
This is one of the most ridiculous questions on CD. If they shut down all the Catholic churches then I guess the Mosques should go also, but, until that time

Old 11-21-2015, 08:15 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
No. To do so would be unbelievably un-American.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:20 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post

It seems to me that maybe we should keep an eye on gun-loving conspiracy theorists and loners, especially those who frequent hate group websites.

In other words, you want a vigilant Big Brother -- but focused mostly upon the people who ruffle your fine feathers.

Seig Hiel?

Old 11-21-2015, 08:23 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
I am against that 100%, I know some people think at the very least they should keep a database of all Muslims in this country. What do you think?
I think no matter how loud the minority shouts, the majority of the country agrees that we should not be in the business of shutting down religious freedom or the freedom to not believe in any religion at all.

Why hasn't anyone suggested that the KKK, skinheads, neonazis or any other violent supremacist groups be kept in a database?

Why, after 9/11, wasn't it suggested that we keep Saudis in a database?

Old 11-21-2015, 08:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Nope.

Focus on the ideology, not the religion. Most Muslims are about as Muslim as I am Christian, which is to say " culturally"

Keep a keen eye on the true believers in the Koran, though. There's more than just worship in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events