Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 09:46 AM

3,087 posts, read 3,201,262 times

Advertisements

I read that she had left to pick up a pizza? Anyway, who leaves toddlers home alone? Those children are going to have some mental health issues and trauma that they will carry for the rest of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 09:57 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,396,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I read that she had left to pick up a pizza? Anyway, who leaves toddlers home alone? Those children are going to have some mental health issues and trauma that they will carry for the rest of their lives.
They may be fine as long as they are never returned to their mother or her family and find a good foster home. Who even knows if they understand that there sister is gone for good?

Old 11-26-2015, 12:40 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,869,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As I said earlier, maybe it is not sickness because maybe they don't understand the process, of when discomfort changes to pain and destruction.

For example, as a child of the 60's, I, we, were raised on people being tortured, but it was always about pain and discomfort and not about the real permanent damage. People staked out in the sun, we saw them get hot and sweaty, that's the discomfort we knew and that is, probably, what fed our "fiendish" desires.

What we didn't see was heat stroke, didn't "feel" the heat cramps, didn't see the brain destroyed for the victim, our heroes were always the same the next day or week. Or, say, if they had been flogged. We thought we knew what it was like because we had been spanked/whipped. We knew that quick pain, but like our heroes in TV/movies, we were fine the next day.

When we are unknowing of what actually happens to the body, we might conceive of actions that are actually quite harmful.
You make a really good point.......I hadn't thought of it like this. When video games and computer games came out, I certainly saw the addiction and non-connection it produced in kids.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:14 PM

316 posts, read 213,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It should apply equally to all areas of the country. You get to commit one crime: having one baby out of wedlock and stealing money from others through welfare to support it. But additional babies GET NO ADDITIONAL SUPPORT.

You would see the behavior change over time. But first you need the misery of the circumstances that result to teach others not to partake.

A flame that isn't hot will not cause recoil. We need to UP THE PAIN FACTOR on bad choices. Then we will see new behavior to avoid the pain.

At the present time we encourage burned babies in ovens because we support single moms, recreational sex, drug use, and irresponsible absent fathers. We actually PAY PEOPLE MONEY to encourage these things because we take survival behavior off the table.

There would be few out of wedlock babies and broken families if going that route meant you really truly starved. It's called reality. Welfare is evasion of reality. Not to mention theft from good people to support the bad people.

And this goes for all people in every neighborhood in every state and every community, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, disability, and any other irrational subdivision one wishes to invent to support their equivocations.
Having kids out of wedlock isn't the best scenario, but it also isnt a crime. I bet you are the same ones who would support Sarah Pallin who has two grandkids two different daddies preaching abstinence. Plenty of married couples need extra help .You see there would be fewer out of wedlock kids if women had access to healh services and birth control GOP wants to defund and you made fathers responsible for these kids. Blaming welfare is an old scapegoat.

I dont know how to double quote but seriously, sterilizing the 'skank' you have to find the daddies. It's not a one way street here folks.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:32 AM

87,995 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As I said earlier, maybe it is not sickness because maybe they don't understand the process, of when discomfort changes to pain and destruction.

For example, as a child of the 60's, I, we, were raised on people being tortured, but it was always about pain and discomfort and not about the real permanent damage. People staked out in the sun, we saw them get hot and sweaty, that's the discomfort we knew and that is, probably, what fed our "fiendish" desires.

What we didn't see was heat stroke, didn't "feel" the heat cramps, didn't see the brain destroyed for the victim, our heroes were always the same the next day or week. Or, say, if they had been flogged. We thought we knew what it was like because we had been spanked/whipped. We knew that quick pain, but like our heroes in TV/movies, we were fine the next day.

When we are unknowing of what actually happens to the body, we might conceive of actions that are actually quite harmful.
Exactly where did you live in the 60's that you saw people being tortured by being staked out in the hot sun? I don't get the reference to the time period.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:45 AM

23,426 posts, read 13,660,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly where did you live in the 60's that you saw people being tortured by being staked out in the hot sun? I don't get the reference to the time period.
The one that easiest comes to mind is the Saturday morning cartoon "Spy Shadow" (part of "Super President") where our hero is staked out by, I think it was, the Cobra to experience dehydration.

Then there was the "Get Smart" episode "Appointment in the Sahara" where 86 and 99 are staked out and "left to the mercy of the merciless sun".

Then, there was Mission: Impossible "Trek" where in the opening, prisoner Dan O'herlihy was being tortured in the desert in the sun.

I recall a western movie, perhaps with Stuart Whitman, where they were hung up by their wrists in the sun and after being cut down, the hero commenting how the top of his head feeling like a boiled egg (or something).

There were probably other examples, such as in presentations (film, cartoon) of The Lone Ranger, but I can't quickly think of them.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:34 PM

87,995 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Lol, ok, I didn't think you were referring to TV shows!

People also got blown up regularly but nothing happened except that they were temporarily blackened, and pianos and other heavy objects fell on and flattened them; again, temporarily.

But wait...I thought Get Smart was reality tv!

I liked Hymie.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:18 PM

26,144 posts, read 19,696,650 times
Angry *

Im glad the idiots were charged!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS VERY SAD....... How can 3 yo's know how to operate an oven?? -- The one we have for example IS TOO HIGH,a 3yo wouldnt reach it!

Old 11-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 11 days ago)

34,432 posts, read 16,517,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I'd go along with mandatory, reversible sterilization of every human being at age 9. Once a person/couple proves they are fit to be a parent and financially capable, only then would they be allowed to have children.
Sounds racist. And impractical.
Was there anything in that post about race? The post was about people who have children and don't care about them. If you believe that most such people are a certain race then you're the one injecting racial considerations into the discussions.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 11 days ago)

34,432 posts, read 16,517,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Here's the racist-sounding part (not saying it's intentional) from the post I was referring to: "Once a person/couple proves they are fit to be a parent and financially capable, only then would they be allowed to have children."

Not that I want to spend too much time on this hypothetical side issue, but that's clearly a disproportionate impact on minorities.

The definition of "racist" is broader than you think it is.
Someone having children that they can't afford has a disproportionate impact on me and other productive people as taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events