Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:15 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Stupid crap happens all the time, it does NOT happen as much as you say....(retired senior NCO, 2009) so yes I know.....
I'm not sure where you were stationed, but if you drive around anywhere in base housing you will see what I am talking about. Many junior enlisted who are under the age of 21 are having kids. Heck, look at our own military forums and you will see all kinds of threads where people are asking about joining the military with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 04:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
I'm not saying it the military is a picnic, but it is not comparable to minimum wage jobs. It's not all that bad either. I know two kids who recently joined the marines. One is stationed in Hawaii and loves it, and the other just married his girlfriend so they can get more benefits. There is also that pesky health insurance/medical thing, and a few other financial benefits.

10 Best Financial Benefits for Military Families-Kiplinger

Old 11-23-2015, 06:00 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I'm not sure where you were stationed, but if you drive around anywhere in base housing you will see what I am talking about. Many junior enlisted who are under the age of 21 are having kids. Heck, look at our own military forums and you will see all kinds of threads where people are asking about joining the military with kids.
If you will go ask them junior enlisted, especially in to days military, not even 2009, you will see they joined the Army with those kids.....not joined the military, then had kids....

Savannah, Alaska, Colorado, Kentucky, Korea, Alabama, Korea.....I've been around...

Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I'm not saying it the military is a picnic, but it is not comparable to minimum wage jobs. It's not all that bad either. I know two kids who recently joined the marines. One is stationed in Hawaii and loves it, and the other just married his girlfriend so they can get more benefits. There is also that pesky health insurance/medical thing, and a few other financial benefits.

10 Best Financial Benefits for Military Families-Kiplinger
I like posts like this, you put your butt on the line and people complain.

If you are not in the military and your boss tells you to stay by that phone for 24 hours, you cannot leave unless your partner is there, and then you cannot lave him alone for long....

What would you say in a private company, oh, and no overtime, no extra time off....

Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,675 times
Quote:
Let's also factor this in. An E1 making 18K a year can get away with 0 bills. In other words, they have no expenses whatsoever. They live in the barracks. They have chow hall food to provide 3 meals a day. Heck, they don't even have to pay for their toilet paper. I've lived this lifestyle as a 19 year old fresh in the military and I'll say that it isn't a bad gig at all. Always nice knowing no matter how broke you are, you will always have a roof over your head and warm food in your belly.
... and easy access to a doctor with no co-pays or premiums. If you are in the military, you should not even have a family unless you intend to make it a career.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
... and easy access to a doctor with no co-pays or premiums. If you are in the military, you should not even have a family unless you intend to make it a career.
Agreed, and same thing can be said about people continuing to have babies on welfare.....on welfare, no babies....

Old 11-23-2015, 06:48 PM

590 posts, read 714,196 times
All it comes down to is young people these days want it all. The glamour, the nice rides, the "stuff" that makes them feel accepted and not judged. But many don't even realize what it means to actually work for something. Many young people today grew up playing video games and not having much responsibility at home at all. Then suddenly they move out at 18 or 19 (or maybe not at all) and have no idea what it takes to actually succeed.

How do I know? Because I used to be like that! I used to just be floundering about in life just barely making ends meet. NO real goals other then how I was going to get my next entertainment fix. What woke me up is the fact that anything worth having needs to be earned through effort and work and diligence and patience. I was so sick of wanting things like a crotch rocket, a nice diesel truck, just nice things that make life more comfortable. I think where my parents went wrong is not teaching me the timeline of cause and effect of the real world. I had great work ethic, just no real rhyme or reason as how to apply it. I had no guidance in terms of where to go after high school. Getting a "job" was shoved down my throat since I was 14 years old. So I got a "job" at age 17 and worked that "job" till I was nearly 20, and at a meager $1,021 a month I thought maybe I could afford a new car.....nope! After all my living expenses (and this was paying my folks $200 rent) I barely had $20 to my name 3 days after payday. How miserable! I ended up joining the Boilermakers Union Apprenticeship and because of that I have been able to provide for my family far beyond basic needs. Name brand clothes? They have it. Decent (not brand new) vehicles that actually run right and need nothing? We have them. Nice house and never worrying (not blinking an eye) about paying bills? Check! What taught me about money is separating my wants from my needs. Something not allot of people need to seriously learn how to do...even people twice my age and older....

All it comes down to is money. Being able to do math is one thing. Being able to make logical calculations about how your choice will have a ripple effect is another. Thats something they dont teach in school. My wife and I are trying extremely hard to instill real world practical applications in our 3 kids. Our oldest is about to turn 8 and she even knows what happens if someone doesn't have money to pay bills! The power gets shut off, the water stops running, cars run out of gas etc etc.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Let's also factor this in. An E1 making 18K a year can get away with 0 bills. In other words, they have no expenses whatsoever. They live in the barracks. They have chow hall food to provide 3 meals a day. Heck, they don't even have to pay for their toilet paper. I've lived this lifestyle as a 19 year old fresh in the military and I'll say that it isn't a bad gig at all. Always nice knowing no matter how broke you are, you will always have a roof over your head and warm food in your belly.
Exactly. Unlike the typical minimum wage worker, that $18K a year is guaranteed.
Don't have to worry about making enough hours or even getting hours.

I am not diminishing the hardship of the military life - my son will celebrate 19 years active Army in January and the deployments, etc. have been very hard in all kinds of ways.
But, he's the first to say that his lifestyle is pretty darn good, all things considered.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:30 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I like posts like this, you put your butt on the line and people complain.

If you are not in the military and your boss tells you to stay by that phone for 24 hours, you cannot leave unless your partner is there, and then you cannot lave him alone for long....

What would you say in a private company, oh, and no overtime, no extra time off....
30 days leave a year? Sound right? It's been twenty years for me...

Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Then tell me why so many military families are on food stamps? Also, welfare!
They are E-1s with kids. Base pay is base pay. There are lots of other allowances for housing, food, clothing, etc that are not taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events