Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 04:42 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,406,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
What I don't understand in all of this is how the family's wishes were so blatantly disregarded by the journalist who got the video released. I know the journalist just wanted to break this big story, but the family received $5 million hush money and didn't want the video released to the public. Shouldn't the victim's family have a right to privacy since they are the ones who lost a loved one? Is it right to make them relive these events if they don't want them publicized?

Don't get me wrong. The officer should definitely be punished for his actions, and I'm sure he will be in a court of law, but releasing the video seemed more like a pathetic media attempt to incite a riot than anything. Kudos to the citizens of Chicago for holding mostly peaceful protests and for not giving the media what they expected or wanted.

I realize the story is much bigger than just a black guy getting shot and killed by a white officer, and it's so appalling how the CPD tried to cover the whole thing up and pretend it never happened. However, I believe, out of respect for the family, that this matter should have been handled solely in a court of law where the family could have received economic justice and the officer could have been punished somewhat privately.
Criminal acts don't merit privacy.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:45 PM

34,688 posts, read 16,724,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
If you are talking about the guy who had hostages in Colorado, he was only talked down because he had hostages. Just FYI in case you plan on using this again. I'm sure he'll get a death sentence. No worries.
Don't be so sure; James Holmes, also in Colorado, did not.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,531,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If you stop turning away from the video, you'll see 'the kid' was facing the cop when the 1st shots were fired.
They've played it over 50 times...I've seen it through and through enough.
I guess the Media doesn't have their hands on something more sensational and disturbing at the moment, lest this would be replaced for the newest attention grabber.
Believe what you want, and I will do the same.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 2,725,354 times
No matter what your opinion is in regards to BLM movement, or the issue with police brutality, the truly sad part is I predict this will spur a violent crime wave across Chicago, quite similar to what happened in Baltimore this year.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:13 PM

1,069 posts, read 707,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
No matter what your opinion is in regards to BLM movement, or the issue with police brutality, the truly sad part is I predict this will spur a violent crime wave across Chicago, quite similar to what happened in Baltimore this year.
True....lets protest and loot and burn the stores in our neighborhood....but according to some posters on here, that is necessary because media attention is good

Old 11-28-2015, 07:17 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,568,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Don't be so sure; James Holmes, also in Colorado, did not.
Oh, I guess it's de facto, anon capital state. Well, he's never getting out. They did their job by talking him down and saved the lives if innocent people. I'm sure all were glad they were there.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:04 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,482,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
They've played it over 50 times...I've seen it through and through enough.
I guess the Media doesn't have their hands on something more sensational and disturbing at the moment, lest this would be replaced for the newest attention grabber.
Believe what you want, and I will do the same.
I'd have no problem admitting that what I Think I see isn't what happened. On this video at 0.38, it looks to me like LM stopped walking, turned around, and was facing the cops when he was shot:

Protests in Chicago as video shows Jason Van Dyke shooting Laquan McDonald | Daily Mail Online

Am I wrong or is there a better video ?

Old 11-29-2015, 07:45 AM

5,852 posts, read 3,277,866 times
Drop the knife. I guess he doesn't understand English!! Wait wait wait the POPO wont tell me what to do!!! I do what I want screw the police!!!

Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 AM

34,688 posts, read 16,724,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'd have no problem admitting that what I Think I see isn't what happened. On this video at 0.38, it looks to me like LM stopped walking, turned around, and was facing the cops when he was shot:

Protests in Chicago as video shows Jason Van Dyke shooting Laquan McDonald | Daily Mail Online

Am I wrong or is there a better video ?
Like you I am skeptical when I hear these stories. This one, the cop looks like he was threatened. I repped this post.

People don't get it. These people, while maybe nominally unarmed, are a lot stronger than the average police officer and often are fueled by drugs. They are, in that condition, a walking weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Drop the knife. I guess he doesn't understand English!! Wait wait wait the POPO wont tell me what to do!!! I do what I want screw the police!!!
You got that right. I am going to rep this post also.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:15 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,563,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post

Explain how he needed to be shot 16 times? This was an execution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events