U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 AM

2,646 posts, read 5,970,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I agree!!!!

I will openly say all the whining, riots, and protests has made ME a racist.

But, that is not a problem to me..........I do not need a job and can live in an area with people that look like me.
Yep...totally agree. I did not grow up with racism, at all. We were a mixed family in a mixed community. I cannot figure out why all the discord, still. But, it will never end and will only escalate as long as the whiners get their way. It's totally amazing to me. Luckily, I can just sit back and watch the nonsense of good people loosing their jobs because someone was insulted and students get drunk and raped...on and on and on...it's exhausting and unfounded.
Koale

Old 11-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 8 days ago)

3,929 posts, read 3,186,123 times
Racism to me isn't the problem. The problem is the people who GAIN financially from racism. This would include: college professors, community organizers and organizations, lobbyists, THE MEDIA, Hollywood, non-profits, and politicians.

Racism is only a "problem" because the aforementioned groups have an interest in making us believe there's a problem for their own financial gains.

There's more programs in schools and college campuses now that EVER BEFORE IN OUR HISTORY that teach us how to be tolerant of others. There's more laws on the books protecting against racism (hate crimes etc) and yet more and more you hear about race, when it should be the exact opposite. Why?

BECAUSE IT SELLS....

Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM

6,229 posts, read 9,510,885 times
CNN and their special interest polls are laughable. I'm pretty sure the people they "polled" are either made-up or people that work in their own headquarters. Leftist continually pull ridiculous stunts like this thinking that intelligent Americans will actually fall for it.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,338,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I've witnessed plenty of racism being exhibited on both sides. Its not just a white on black thing. There are many racists blacks as well. Using slavery and segregation that happened back when is no excuse for a black to be racists towards whites today. Blacks today have the same opportunities that whites do.
The problem is the residual effects left from slavery and segregation that places blacks far behind whites in the country in terms of collective success, even with more opportunities.

Ignore the title of the article and read the content of the long article and you will understand what residual effects I'm talking about and how these affects are actually why blacks and whites are at an uneven playing field in this country in nearly every realm.

The Case for Reparations by Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

The information in that article hits on almost every inequality that we see in this country from home ownership, to wealth/assets, employment, family structure, living environments etc. This is what many whites are unable to fully comprehend-the damage that was done for decades has had residual impact on black progression in ways that make it so that even with similar opportunities we are not completely at in equal place in this country.

Then you read articles such as black college educated unemployment rate is higher than white's that are uneducated, or this article: STUDY: Single Women Of Color Age 36-49 Have Median Wealth Of Just $5.
And really there are many more articles that I could posts that suggest that even with the same opportunities and making all the right choices, similar to their white counterparts, blacks collectively still struggle in ways that whites collectively do not. People have a hard time comprehending this as well.

People also talk about immigration often-people that voluntarily chose to come to this country and experienced and endured different types of discrimination, and yet were able to eventually become successful in ways that black Americans have not. Yet these same folks also don't understand the residual effects of institutionalized racism, slavery, and the fact that blacks did not come to this country and endure these hardships because they chose to come here for better opportunities. Blacks were forced here; involuntary immigrants, completely stripped of name, culture, and identity, and were treated from day one as "less than" treatment that continued until the 60's. Yet it was the black fight for civil rights that paved the way for many other miniority groups. And no the institutionalized racist laws weren't limited to just not being able to sit at the front of the bus as someone so ignorantly pointed out.

We can pretend that blacks and whites are treated equally or we can be honest and acknowledge that collectively(not accounting for individual success stories) that the impact of past oppression, and issues that still exist today that impact blacks far more than whites, mean that your assessment is partially false.

That being said I do agree that blacks can be just as prejudice as whites and that there are so many opportunities now for blacks to progress. There are many that are not progressing partially because they themselves aren't making the right choices and/or decisions that could lead to an improved opportunity to have more personal success.

Last edited by Faith2187; 11-24-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 11-24-2015, 09:51 AM

7,183 posts, read 7,515,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
The difference between white and black racism towards each other (we know EVERYBODY is a racist to some degree, and that's human nature) is that racism against blacks is often backed by institutional power. Because whites hold way more positions of power (e.g., employment/hiring/promotion/firing, school/entrance/grading, and government) than blacks, they are in a position to adversely affect a black person's life in a major way.

Mick
Best Quote so far!
Why were there Black only colleges and schools in America?
Why is it that when people see more that 2 African Americans move into a neighborhood the, "For Sale" Signs go up!
I just had a friend at work tell me she could not take his AA husband home for thanksgiving to Missouri (He's white) because her family is, "just not ready yet"
It's fracking 2015 or you kidding me

Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 AM

494 posts, read 342,198 times
Black Occidental Student Attacked as 'Trash' for Breaking with Black Student Movement

Old 11-24-2015, 10:15 AM

3,673 posts, read 3,253,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I'm sorry this is just not true. There are racist Blacks but the majority of it comes from whites, that's just fact. Blacks do not have the same opportunities.
That's because numerically there are more racist whites than racist blacks. The proportions are probably about the same.

Quote:
A black person with a college degree is still twice as less likely to be hired than a white person with a degree. So you're telling me thats " the same opportunity"? It's not an opportunity when you have an employer biased against you especially in the business world. It's not an opportunity when police single you out.
If the degree is in "Ethnic Studies" then I'm not surprised. That's a "gimme" degree and everybody knows it and frankly I find it condescending that colleges even offer it. Try taking business and engineering courses.

BTW plenty of big corporations that are sensitive to boycotts have hiring quotas and a lot of minorities get hired by them.

Quote:
I'm speaking facts and I don't even follow all of that black lives matter crap. The biggest lie is that equality actually exists.
I don't care if equality exists, but I care if equality of opportunity exists. You want to major in Ethnic Studies for 5 or 6 years while you blow off classes to protest this and that? Fine. Just don't come whining to me when you can't get a decent job.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 AM

5,328 posts, read 3,591,895 times
I've often asked this question when coming across these types of threads or conversations. I don't think I've ever gotten a clear answer.

If blacks are still oppressed and don't have the same equal opportunities as everyone else, how do you propose we fix the issue? Instead of complaining about a problem and never putting the work in to find a solution, why not work together towards one?

Edit: Answers such as reparations, etc... are not valid responses. I don't think the majority of whites living today had anything at all to do with slavery nor does any whites I know condone it, so taking away what we are working hard for to provide our family isn't a serious proposed solution.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:30 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
The problem is the residual effects left from slavery and segregation that places blacks far behind whites in the country in terms of collective success, even with more opportunities.

Ignore the title of the article and read the content of the long article and you will understand what residual effects I'm talking about and how these affects are actually why blacks and whites are at an uneven playing field in this country in nearly every realm.

The Case for Reparations by Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

The information in that article hits on almost every inequality that we see in this country from home ownership, to wealth/assets, employment, family structure, living environments etc. This is what many whites are unable to fully comprehend-the damage that was done for decades has had residual impact on black progression in ways that make it so that even with similar opportunities we are not completely at in equal place in this country.

Then you read articles such as black college educated unemployment rate is higher than white's that are uneducated, or this article: STUDY: Single Women Of Color Age 36-49 Have Median Wealth Of Just $5.
And really there are many more articles that I could posts that suggest that even with the same opportunities and making all the right choices, similar to their white counterparts, blacks collectively still struggle in ways that whites collectively do not. People have a hard time comprehending this as well.

People also talk about immigration often-people that voluntarily chose to come to this country and experienced and endured different types of discrimination, and yet were able to eventually become successful in ways that black Americans have not. Yet these same folks also don't understand the residual effects of institutionalized racism, slavery, and the fact that blacks did not come to this country and endure these hardships because they chose to come here for better opportunities. Blacks were forced here; involuntary immigrants, completely stripped of name, culture, and identity, and were treated from day one as "less than" treatment that continued until the 60's. Yet it was the black fight for civil rights that paved the way for many other miniority groups. And no the institutionalized racist laws weren't limited to just not being able to sit at the front of the bus as someone so ignorantly pointed out.

We can pretend that blacks and whites are treated equally or we can be honest and acknowledge that collectively(not accounting for individual success stories) that the impact of past oppression, and issues that still exist today that impact blacks far more than whites, mean that your assessment is partially false.

That being said I do agree that blacks can be just as prejudice as whites and that there are so many opportunities now for blacks to progress. There are many that are not progressing partially because they themselves aren't making the right choices and/or decisions that could lead to an improved opportunity to have more personal success.
Don't drink too much Kool aid. You live in a country where a lot of blacks dwarf you in income and status. The problem is they should be proud of that and expand their horizon, leave their history behind them where it is. Instead they are looking in every crack for a racist.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
And there it is. Taking down the success to push ahead with an agenda. Shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or