U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 AM

1,040 posts, read 696,855 times

Advertisements

I saw a movie once towards end of slavery where a black Northerner gun slinger who is in the South kills the slave owners on the plantation and announces to slaves you are free go run off.

They were horrified. Run off where? They had no education, no food to take, no transportation, no money and they were like when the law gets here we are getting lynched.

Finally, one goes you Damm Fool there are 300 slaves and only 20 white folk on the plantation. We could have killed them anytime we wanted. We only did not cause we all said then what?

Gunslinger goes running off with his crew as 300 slaves are chasing him. Goes well that did work out as I expected.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,126,027 times
IMO the rise in racism is because Trump has all the bigots and wackos all fired up - just go check out any thread about BLM, Hispanics, and Muslims on this forum. Endless posts yelling about "Blacks mooching off welfare", Mexican "invaders", and "Muslims taking over!". The hysterics are absurd. It's really sad how in 2015 people can still be so ignorant and bigoted.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 15 days ago)

3,982 posts, read 3,200,246 times
I think that one thing that blacks in this country have done to continue to segregate themselves personally is to call themselves African Americans. Personally, to me this is like saying, I really don't like America, I'm only here because you made my ancestors a slave. While I think there will always be racism in this world, it's not an American issue, as all parts of the globe are affected by racism.

In 50-100 years time, I think that there will just be a sort of brown color that every one of us is. As we continue to break down racial stereotypes and interracial marriages become more accepted and commonplace, our offspring will continue to become more and more the same color.

The world, due to the ease of international travel and networking, has become a great big melting pot. In any major city you can see whites, blacks, Asians, and Latinos all living in the same neighborhood, with the exception of some of the poorest parts of urban cities, which are predominantly non-white.

How many times have you gone to a public place (like a mall) and seen groups of white kids hanging with each other, black kids all grouped together, etc. Sure people feel more comfortable with people of their own race, but if a group of black kids all want to hang together, isn't that racism?

Compared to 1870, there's no racism in this country. Far from it, the only "racism" I see these days is self-imposed segregation due to comfort levels and institutional racism with bull crap "tolerance" policies, media driven racism, and groups that don't include others like the NAACP, AME Churches, Black Panther Movement, Aryan Nation, KKK, etc.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:43 AM

465 posts, read 271,999 times
Default What!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I saw a movie once towards end of slavery where a black Northerner gun slinger who is in the South kills the slave owners on the plantation and announces to slaves you are free go run off.

They were horrified. Run off where? They had no education, no food to take, no transportation, no money and they were like when the law gets here we are getting lynched.

Finally, one goes you Damm Fool there are 300 slaves and only 20 white folk on the plantation. We could have killed them anytime we wanted. We only did not cause we all said then what?

Gunslinger goes running off with his crew as 300 slaves are chasing him. Goes well that did work out as I expected.
I know its a movie but this is a very weird point. Your insinuating that black people want to revert back to slavery?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,605,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
IMO the rise in racism is because Trump has all the bigots and wackos all fired up - just go check out any thread about BLM, Hispanics, and Muslims on this forum. Endless posts yelling about "Blacks mooching off welfare", Mexican "invaders", and "Muslims taking over!". The hysterics are absurd. It's really sad how in 2015 people can still be so ignorant and bigoted.

While this is true to an extent, it works both ways. I've been called cracker, white-bread, and many other names long before folks like Trump stirred the pot this year. I recall delivering some equipment to a black college here locally about 15 years ago and being told my the campus PD that we needed to be off the property before dark because "white folks" aren't really welcome there. I politely told him that it was a good thing I was more Creek Indian than white then and kept working.

Don't be fooled that racism escalated. It's just that now that blacks are beginning to push the issue further, whites are getting more vocal about their displeasure. I know that the whites I associate with all agree that we would love to see all of the racism on both sides go away. But until both sides realize that to make it go away you have to stop dwelling on it, it's never going to happen.

And I'll sit back and wait for someone to answer the question I asked earlier.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:47 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,598,525 times
The key to ending racism to hate everyone equally.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 15 days ago)

3,982 posts, read 3,200,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
I know its a movie but this is a very weird point. Your insinuating that black people want to revert back to slavery?
It goes back to history. There Reconstruction period after the Civil War was over (and slaves were freed) were far harder times for the blacks in this country. Not only did they not have the vital supports they used to have on the plantations (food/shelter) but they were systematically murdered, lynched, beaten generally for trumped up charges. A lot of whites, took out their anger on blacks during the Reconstruction years, and it's why Andrew Johnson gets my vote for worst president ever.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:53 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,887,155 times
Racism is all about its profiteers, not the guy on the street. It is a big business these days, and it keeps getting bigger as more and more people are fooled into thinking that things like BLM are going to make some sort of difference by blocking freeways and disrupting libraries. It's just more 99 percenters. Look how much of an effect "99%" had on anything.

What really gets me is that I was raised in an integrated generation. Everyone was equal (and believe me, that was drilled into us from day one). Yet all fingers still point to "whites" being the problem. I belong to the generation who has had to tiptoe around MENTIONING skin color (we weren't supposed to notice such things as skin color, as it was totally irrelevant). Yet, every modern day ill of black society keeps getting pinned back on "whites", who need to "try harder". Try harder than what? What did we do?

IMO, the whole angry black youth movement is merely manufacturing a new generation of whites who start to look at blacks differently. But, as I said above, I think that's exactly the point. Pissed off blacks blockading freeways or disrupting libraries at mostly-white universities means there's a bright future for the profiteers. The participants are just suckers; free labor making money for people who already have it. If they think they're changing the world for the better, they're doing exactly the opposite.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:55 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,605,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The key to ending racism to hate everyone equally.

Not really..... the key to ending racism is to stop dwelling on its existence and trying to gain from it and to realize that we all have good traits and characteristics that we can bring to the table that allows us all to exist together. Instead of focusing on weaknesses, focus on the strengths.

My take on foreign people living here is that as long as you come here legally, have to abide by the same laws that citizens do (pay taxes, etc..) I welcome you with open arms. If you come here illegally to make money to send home to your country, don't contribute to our society, and plan to eventually move back home where you can prosper from our American dollars you don't belong here.

My take on blacks is the exact same as whites. Pull your weight, help your neighbor, mind your business, take care of your responsibilities, make an effort to positively influence those around you for the common good, and don't cause anyone harm (either direct or indirect) unless defending yourself. I think this simple philosophy would serve us all well regardless of the color of our skin. The content of our character is much more important in the grand scheme of things.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,342,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I've often asked this question when coming across these types of threads or conversations. I don't think I've ever gotten a clear answer.

If blacks are still oppressed and don't have the same equal opportunities as everyone else, how do you propose we fix the issue? Instead of complaining about a problem and never putting the work in to find a solution, why not work together towards one?

Edit: Answers such as reparations, etc... are not valid responses. I don't think the majority of whites living today had anything at all to do with slavery nor does any whites I know condone it, so taking away what we are working hard for to provide our family isn't a serious proposed solution.
I'm not sure if you read my article-at glance it may seem like an argument about reparations, detailing how we should get it, how much and all other pertaining information. Yet if you read it there is very little mention that we need it-instead the author provides evidence and an argument that sets up the case for "why". In fact beyond the title he does not speak of reparations in the body of his case.

He does however give a d*** good argument about the residual impact of oppression for black Americans and how unequal the playing field is. It's a good article for people that are actually interested in being educated, but I have a feeling people won't read it, most will continue to believe that the playing field is now mostly equal for both collective groups.

Last edited by Faith2187; 11-24-2015 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or