Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:33 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I read that the Turkemen saw the parachuting pilots and fired at them as the descended to the ground, killing them.

If that is true, kick Turkey out of NATO and back Russia. Those moves are considered War Crimes.
Since when are they considered war crimes? Military pilots are armed, just because they are parachuting from a downed jet doesn't change anything.

Is shooting a soldier trapped inside a disabled vehicle a war crime? No.

That the jet was shot down at all is a real problem and was an unjustified attack on Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I read that the Turkemen saw the parachuting pilots and fired at them as the descended to the ground, killing them.

If that is true, kick Turkey out of NATO and back Russia. Those moves are considered War Crimes.
Yea, but the Turkmen are "moderate" rebels, not official Turkish forces, so cannot really put that on Turkey. I doubt Turkey would officially sanction shooting pilots while parachuting down.

I do not think Turkey should be in NATO for numerous other reasons, and the history of them being in NATO was basically a pure geo-political move against the Soviets, not because the West values Turkey and shares a common and loving relationship with them.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It's much better than not shooting down the plane, which would lead to further Russian aggression and more lost lives.

What are you talking about? Turkey is a sworn enemy of ISIS. Russia has been aiding ISIS by protecting Assad, who is defacto allied with ISIS. Russia has been eliminating ISIS' enemies.
Omg... Where did you get that? Fox news? Isis are sworn enemies of the Assad regime. That's why they shot down the Russian plane. Russia and isreal are Assad allies. The situation is complex but the bottom line is that if Assad would have been able to crush the rebellion Isis wouldn't have been able to gain power and sympathy from the civilians .

Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Since when are they considered war crimes? Military pilots are armed, just because they are parachuting from a downed jet doesn't change anything.
Since the Geneva Convention of 1949, as reiterated in 1977's Protocol I.

Here's a clue:
Quote:
Article 42 of the 1977 Additional Protocol I provides:
1. No person parachuting from an aircraft in distress shall be made the object of attack during his descent.
2. Upon reaching the ground in territory controlled by an adverse Party, a person who has parachuted from an aircraft in distress shall be given an opportunity to surrender before being made the object of attack, unless it is apparent that he is engaging in a hostile act.
3. Airborne troops are not protected by this Article.
https://www.icrc.org/customary-ihl/e.../v2_rul_rule48

Quote:
Dumb analogies are part of the reason you perpetually get things wrong.

Quote:
That the jet was shot down at all is a real problem and was an unjustified attack on Russia.
Using lethal force in response to repeated armed incursions after repeated protests to those armed incursions is not legally unjustified. It's a hardball move, but Putin plays hardball. He can take it - you can stop fluffing him now.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:46 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Army Col. Steve Warren, the top military spokesman in Baghdad, confirmed the Turk’s version of events in saying they repeatedly warned the two Russian SU-24 pilots to back off.
Pentagon backs Turkey's version of events, blames 'incursion' of Russian jet - Washington Times

Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Ww3?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:

I am not a war crimes expert, but I do believe shooting at a pilot parachuting is a war crime. if not a war crime, kind of unethical in my opinion. Even if armed, then allow him to post a threat and then shoot him, but just shooting him in the air would be against my own ethics. I doubt anyone in the West would do this, I do not even recall any Ukrainian rebels shooting at parachuting pilots.

The US even got dinged during the 1991 Gulf War in regards to the highway of death, when Iraq was retreating, technically the US should have allowed it since "retreat" is not a threat of force and internationally recognized as a non-aggression act in which the attacking force should not attack; this is in regards to retreating from Kuwait only, not an active battle field. But I read back and forth on it, I would have attacked the retreating forces as they are still a threat, but I guess it is how someone wants to apply the law. In any case, nothing official ever came from it.

As for shooting a soldier trapped in a disabled vehicle, it could be a war crime depending on the circumstances. While I was in the military, I know the rules stated I just could not go up to a vehicle and shoot the person in the head just for the hell of it, I would have found myself in trouble right away, there is a point in which prisoners are taken, the US took thousands of them during the 1991 war, even allowing some Iraqi officers to have smalls arms to assist in controlling the prisoners.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Omg... Where did you get that? Fox news? Isis are sworn enemies of the Assad regime. That's why they shot down the Russian plane. Russia and isreal are Assad allies. The situation is complex but the bottom line is that if Assad would have been able to crush the rebellion Isis wouldn't have been able to gain power and sympathy from the civilians .
Even Fox News does not state such absurd things.

You need to know the history of this poster, this poster is anything and all against anything Russia, on every subject, no matter what it is, to the point of just making things up.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:52 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,013,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Army Col. Steve Warren, the top military spokesman in Baghdad, confirmed the Turk’s version of events in saying they repeatedly warned the two Russian SU-24 pilots to back off.
Pentagon backs Turkey's version of events, blames 'incursion' of Russian jet - Washington Times
The Russian Su-24 military jet was shot down by a Turkish F-16 over Syrian territory while returning to Khmeimim airbase, the Russian Defense Ministry has confirmed.
The Ministry's Twitter says that “analysis of the objective monitoring data” showed the downed SU-24 jet did not violate Turkish air space.

Earlier in the day, Russian President Vladimir Putin said he regards the downing of the SU-24 as “a stab in the back” by “terrorist accomplices,” adding that Turkey gets the flow of oil from Islamic State-controlled territories.

President Putin said the SU-24 pilots “were conducting an operation to fight ISIS in northern Latakia which is a mountainous area where the rebels – mostly from the Russian Federation – are stationed. In this sense they were carrying out their duty to make preventive strikes on terrorists who could return to Russia at any time.”

https://www.rt.com/news/323264-turki...ter-shot-Su24/

Old 11-24-2015, 09:53 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
I still like Assad more than ISIS. Russia is starting to show the world its military progress which kinda is bad news for Syria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events