Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:51 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that teen pregnancies are highest in those states because there are more religious people who do not believe in abortion? Girls who grow up in households that are very pro life are far more likely to have their babies than girls in pro-choice households. It makes it seem like there are less teenagers getting pregnant if we don't even know the girls are getting abortions.
Teen birth rate could explain that, not teen pregnancy rate. Religious people who don't believe in birth control could affect the rate of teen pregnancy, though. But so can "abstinence only" or "abstinence first" education.

Quote:
Also, perhaps the chlamydia outbreak at that one school is because there were others with chlamydia, therefore spreading chlamydia.
... Yes. But do you not see the irony? TX's "expected standard" for school kids is to not have sex. They promote abstinence mainly. So clearly, if chlamydia is spreading through the school, the students are not all abstinent like they are expected to be and like they are primarily taught.... do I really have to explain this?

Quote:
I am with TexasHorseLady. It's very hard to imagine that even with kids learning about abstinence along with various birth control methods as mandated by the state, that they are unaware of safe sex practices like condom use or birth control. It may be difficult to get birth control pills, but condoms are available everywhere. Believe me, these kids are well aware of prevention. They just make poor choices when they're h*rny...not unlike people throughout history. Difference is no more shotgun weddings and very few homes for unwed mothers like the Edna Gladney Home.
TX schools primarily focus on abstinence. Sure, they "teach" other birth control methods, but I would like to see their curriculum on it, compared with for example, my district's when I was in high school only 5-9 years ago. I would like to see how far that "teaching" goes. Do they demonstrate how to put on a condom? Go into detail about various methods, how they are used, how long they work for, and where to find them? Do they teach about the morning after pill? You can tell a kid "here is a list/photos of all of your options," but if you don't explain how they are used, and why, and how exactly they work and for how long and where to get them (doctor? drug store? etc), then it's quite useless, isn't it? TX's standards are quite clear, as I posted a link. They say they also teach about birth control methods, and I believe them, but how much are they emphasized? How much detail? When abstinence is emphasized, I'm inclined to think not that much detail in comparison to abstinence.

The stats speak for themselves. Whatever the reason, the stats are there. I posted them. You don't have to like or believe them or agree with me, but you can't argue with the facts.

Women who are less educated on birth control methods are more likely to get pregnant, and more likely to want or need an abortion when they're 17 and not ready to be a mom, or even 25 and not ready to be a mom. It's also important to keep in mind it is not JUST the school's responsibility to teach about all these things, but also the parents'. Maybe religion gets in the way, maybe some people are prudes, I don't know. But again - I'm not making up the stats. Interpret them however you want, but they're there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 11:54 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times
Murders and robbery still happen despite laws in place too...so Im not understanding what the point is.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:56 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,058 times
Quote:
Has it ever occurred to you that teen pregnancies are highest in those states because there are more religious people who do not believe in abortion? Girls who grow up in households that are very pro life are far more likely to have their babies than girls in pro-choice households. It makes it seem like there are less teenagers getting pregnant if we don't even know the girls are getting abortions.

Also, perhaps the chlamydia outbreak at that one school is because there were others with chlamydia, therefore spreading chlamydia.

I am with TexasHorseLady. It's very hard to imagine that even with kids learning about abstinence along with various birth control methods as mandated by the state, that they are unaware of safe sex practices like condom use or birth control. It may be difficult to get birth control pills, but condoms are available everywhere. Believe me, these kids are well aware of prevention. They just make poor choices when they're h*rny...not unlike people throughout history. Difference is no more shotgun weddings and very few homes for unwed mothers like the Edna Gladney Home.
It has more to do with cultural issues readily tracked by race than any other factor.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:58 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes Hispanics are really a big issue with teen pregnancy but look at the diversity of my state. NJ is less than 60% white now. And look at how we compare to Texas. So it's not the biggest issue here. I still stand by my opinion that it is education - or lack thereof. Maybe also religion.
It's religion! Or even just a larger percentage of the population who doesn't believe in abortion for religious reasons or humanitarian reasons. And since the removal of the stigma of unwed motherhood, more girls are following their heart and not aborting their child. Too bad more girls aren't following their common sense and using a condom.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:00 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,058 times
Quote:
It's religion! Or even just a larger percentage of the population who doesn't believe in abortion for religious reasons or humanitarian reasons. And since the removal of the stigma of unwed motherhood, more girls are following their heart and not aborting their child. Too bad more girls aren't following their common sense and using a condom.
Take a look at 'progressive' states teen pregnancy rates by race and compare them to red states. The common indicator is race.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:07 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The OP saw this post a week ago and decided to re post it again. It's a troll post because it has already been debunked.
Actually, I didn't see it a week ago, in fact the first time I saw the article was the day I posted the thread. If I were trolling I would have used the upward estimate put out by the folks at UT which was 250,000 which I thought to be more questionable. That being said, whether the numbers are correct, and I hope this study leads to further research, I suspect that overly restrictive abortion laws will indeed lead to more attempts as self-induced abortions.

PS - I find it interesting that when ever a problem is identified some believe that controlling for race, ethnicity or income makes the issue go away.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:08 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

TX schools primarily focus on abstinence. Sure, they "teach" other birth control methods, but I would like to see their curriculum on it, compared with for example, my district's when I was in high school only 5-9 years ago. I would like to see how far that "teaching" goes. Do they demonstrate how to put on a condom? Go into detail about various methods, how they are used, how long they work for, and where to find them? Do they teach about the morning after pill? You can tell a kid "here is a list/photos of all of your options," but if you don't explain how they are used, and why, and how exactly they work and for how long and where to get them (doctor? drug store? etc), then it's quite useless, isn't it? TX's standards are quite clear, as I posted a link. They say they also teach about birth control methods, and I believe them, but how much are they emphasized? How much detail? When abstinence is emphasized, I'm inclined to think not that much detail in comparison to abstinence.

You are talking about abstinence plus education and that type of education places an emphasis on abstinence as being the best and healthiest choice for teenagers but it also includes comprehensive sexual and reproductive health education. That information teaches teens about how their reproductive system works, how they can get pregnant and ways that they can get STD's. It includes education about STD's as well as birth control methods, effective rates, etc. It is pretty much the same as comprehensive sex education except that it also comes with the message that abstinence is the best and healthiest choice for teens.

Texas is a large state and I would not assume that all schools use the same curriculum. I wouldn't even assume that all focus on abstinence nor would I assume that all teach sex ed in addition to abstinence. I am sure that it varies quite a bit from one district to the next.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Take a look at 'progressive' states teen pregnancy rates by race and compare them to red states. The common indicator is race.
What exactly is the argument there, though? That Hispanics are more likely to get pregnant as teens, okay, but WHY? Religion? Education? Socioeconomic status? With proper education, don't you think that can change? It's no coincidence those states with the higher rates also are more conservative and religious and promote abstinence... things work hand in hand. Many factors are at play, not just one. Perhaps it's a combination of ethnicity/race, religion, AND education. I don't believe it's just one.

And guess what, less use of birth control/more abstinence leads to more pregnancies, which will lead to more abortions... if the girls even believe it in. If they don't, it leads to more welfare-supported babies and young, poor mothers, so either way it's a lose-lose and something needs to change.

Look how much better New York performs than some of these states with high teen pregnancy rates. Better than the bulk of most Southern states. Look at NYC's population and demographics (which is really what skews NYS stats for pretty much everything). NYC public schools give out free condoms. Perhaps other high minority districts/states (with a poverty problem or not) should take a page out of NYC/NY's book. The teen birth rate, interestingly, is MUCH lower than the Southern states', and much lower than the pregnancy rate, probably because of abortions and access to them - and yes, "progressiveness."

Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Despite enacting some of the severest abortion restrictions in the country, instead of curtailing abortions, Texas has sent more women the way of attempting to abort their pregnancies using their own methods. According to a study by the University of Texas estimates that over 100,000 women have attempted to self-abort their pregnancies.

Texas Women Are Inducing Their Own Abortions - The Atlantic
Texas--building a bridge to the Twentieth Century.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
You use rubbers in a committed relationship?
I do.

Hormonal methods mess me up badly (tried enough of them)
Cervix too small for any of the 3 IUDs
Diaphragm requires spermicide, which is a strong irritant
I don't trust the rhythm/calendar/body temp method since there are too many variables that can affect the metrics this method relies on.
And the pullout method? Just ask any teen parent.

All the birth control options suck. Condom it is until we're ready for kids, which may be as early as next year assuming everything goes according to plan with work, finances, the economy, etc.

Lol. Science can take us to Mars, but can't come up with a way to prevent pregnancy temporarily without side effects or diminished sensation.

It's not hard to see why unintended pregnancies happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events