U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 PM
 
7,328 posts, read 4,000,840 times
Reputation: 9074

Advertisements

Despite enacting some of the severest abortion restrictions in the country, instead of curtailing abortions, Texas has sent more women the way of attempting to abort their pregnancies using their own methods. According to a study by the University of Texas estimates that over 100,000 women have attempted to self-abort their pregnancies.

Texas Women Are Inducing Their Own Abortions - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 PM
 
12,575 posts, read 10,444,029 times
Reputation: 17363
I wonder how many of those women actively, properly, and responsibly used a birth control method (or more), regularly. Actually, on that note, I wonder how many schools (since this is Texas) didn't even teach about birth control because TX loves that abstinence only education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,393 posts, read 37,733,186 times
Reputation: 22539
Actually, the law in Texas states that abstinence must be emphasized but that medically accurate contraceptive methods must be taught. That being said, when I was in school in Texas back in the Dark Ages, sex education didn't include contraception, but somehow I not only managed to be aware of various methods, including the pill, but to have access to them. This was in the mid-sixties.

However, the article points out that the problem is that not only does the law make it very difficult for low income women and girls to get access to abortion (average distance to an abortion facility is 111 miles now) but the facilities that closed are the same ones at which they were getting contraceptive advice and methods which made it LESS likely that they would need an abortion. Plus other women's health care, women's bodies not consisting entirely of a uterus.

You do realize, JerseyGirl415, don't you, that the entirety of your comment is just as judgmental of not only Texas, but women's sexuality, as any Texas Republican I've ever heard? Trust me, I live here, I can recognize the attitude a mile away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
4,861 posts, read 3,644,542 times
Reputation: 3932
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Despite enacting some of the severest abortion restrictions in the country, instead of curtailing abortions, Texas has sent more women the way of attempting to abort their pregnancies using their own methods. According to a study by the University of Texas estimates that over 100,000 women have attempted to self-abort their pregnancies.

Texas Women Are Inducing Their Own Abortions - The Atlantic
Two things wrong here. 1) UT "estimates" that 100K have tried this and 2) There's no long term study in TX that studies how many women tried self abortion over say the past decade as compared to today.

Sounds like another agenda piece if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 PM
 
2,482 posts, read 2,519,410 times
Reputation: 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Two things wrong here. 1) UT "estimates" that 100K have tried this and 2) There's no long term study in TX that studies how many women tried self abortion over say the past decade as compared to today.

Sounds like another agenda piece if you ask me.
You beat me to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 11:06 PM
 
12,575 posts, read 10,444,029 times
Reputation: 17363
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, the law in Texas states that abstinence must be emphasized but that medically accurate contraceptive methods must be taught. That being said, when I was in school in Texas back in the Dark Ages, sex education didn't include contraception, but somehow I not only managed to be aware of various methods, including the pill, but to have access to them. This was in the mid-sixties.

However, the article points out that the problem is that not only does the law make it very difficult for low income women and girls to get access to abortion (average distance to an abortion facility is 111 miles now) but the facilities that closed are the same ones at which they were getting contraceptive advice and methods which made it LESS likely that they would need an abortion. Plus other women's health care, women's bodies not consisting entirely of a uterus.

You do realize, JerseyGirl415, don't you, that the entirety of your comment is just as judgmental of not only Texas, but women's sexuality, as any Texas Republican I've ever heard? Trust me, I live here, I can recognize the attitude a mile away.
I don't really care how judgmental it is if it's true.

Teen Pregnancies Highest In States With Abstinence-Only Policies

TX high school that teaches abstinence only sees chlaymdia outbreak https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-only-sex-ed/

TX has the 3rd highest teen pregnancy rate, higher than the national average, too. https://thenationalcampaign.org/data/compare/1678

5th highest in teen birth rate, again much higher than the national average. https://thenationalcampaign.org/data/compare/1701

81% of Texas sexually active teens used any form of contraception at the last time they had sex. Sounds decent, and it is, but compared to other states (like Montana, the highest at 92), it's the lowest out of 34 states which shared the information and have applicable info. Yet again lower (in this case not a good lower) than rhe national average. https://thenationalcampaign.org/data/compare/3112

I'm not making this up. I could not care less how judgmental you think I'm being. My point is not to be judgmental. It's to look at cause and effect. Perhaps your state should change in this regard. IMO abstinence should not be stressed because it's unrealistic. Teen pregnancy rates prove this. So do the numbers of kids who report having sex at least once or regularly, as the link with teen pregnancy rates also shows on another page. Fact is, 100%, not even 90 or 80 or even 70 or 60 in some states, of kids are NOT practicing abstinence like TX strongly suggests and recommends above all else (it's the "expected standard" https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/abstain/), so it's irrelevant. Abstinence should be taught as an option, sure, especially seeing as it's the only 100% guaranteed way to protect against everything, but birth control methods are what should be emphasized IMO because teens are going to have sex. They just are. IMO the majority of TX is doing it wrong. I think access to and education regarding birth control has a direct effect on abortion rate, personally. It's no secret the Southern states are the worst culprits when it comes to this education and teen pregnancy rate stuff. It's the more conservative and religious ideology. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,913 posts, read 13,482,034 times
Reputation: 22044
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Two things wrong here. 1) UT "estimates" that 100K have tried this and 2) There's no long term study in TX that studies how many women tried self abortion over say the past decade as compared to today.

Sounds like another agenda piece if you ask me.
The results were based on a survey; https://utexas.app.box.com/KOESelfIn...nResearchBrief

Call it an agenda piece if you want, but the simple fact is no matter how difficult you make it for a woman to get an abortion she will still find a way. I was in High School in the 60's when abortion was illegal and girls got them anyway, probably 20% of the girls in my graduating class had at least one abortion. The middle class and wealthy girls just went off for a simple "procedure" in the Doctor's Office and returned to school a few days later magically un-pregnant; the doctor recorded the event as a "dilation and curettage" a fairly common procedure for various gynecological conditions. The poor girls were the ones who paid the price; some found a doctor who had lost his license, others had their boyfriends kick them in the stomach, drank a whole bottle of castor oil, or even worse tried to abort the fetus with a coat hanger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 12:32 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
11,074 posts, read 6,472,222 times
Reputation: 10700
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Two things wrong here. 1) UT "estimates" that 100K have tried this and 2) There's no long term study in TX that studies how many women tried self abortion over say the past decade as compared to today.

Sounds like another agenda piece if you ask me.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,393 posts, read 37,733,186 times
Reputation: 22539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The results were based on a survey; https://utexas.app.box.com/KOESelfIn...nResearchBrief

Call it an agenda piece if you want, but the simple fact is no matter how difficult you make it for a woman to get an abortion she will still find a way. I was in High School in the 60's when abortion was illegal and girls got them anyway, probably 20% of the girls in my graduating class had at least one abortion. The middle class and wealthy girls just went off for a simple "procedure" in the Doctor's Office and returned to school a few days later magically un-pregnant; the doctor recorded the event as a "dilation and curettage" a fairly common procedure for various gynecological conditions. The poor girls were the ones who paid the price; some found a doctor who had lost his license, others had their boyfriends kick them in the stomach, drank a whole bottle of castor oil, or even worse tried to abort the fetus with a coat hanger.
I was in high school and college in the 60's as well and knowledge of how to get an illegal one (usually involved traveling to Mexico or some back alley doctor) was not hard to come by. As was knowledge of the consequences.

Interestingly, in my daughter's generation (now in their 30's) I know of quite a few young women who became pregnant and chose to keep the baby. Part of that was changing societal viewpoints on unwed pregnancy and single mothers, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,510 posts, read 35,964,225 times
Reputation: 62918
A team from UT interviewed an unspecified number of women and asked them if they or their best friend had attempted to induce an abortion at home anytime within the past five years. This would include use of the "morning after" pill, and a time frame that includes a time period when many more clinics providing abortions were open across the state of Texas, as well as "do it yourself" meds given to the women BY clinics providing abortions or the morning after pill or early pregnancy abortifacient drugs that are designed to be taken at home rather than in a clinical setting.

For instance, one interview (of the 18 listed in this report) outlined the use of Misoprostol by a 24 year old woman. The implication is that if she had had better access to a clinic providing an abortion, this drug wouldn't have been prescribed to her. Actually, it is a commonly prescribed drug used, among other things, to induce early abortions.

Several women who were interviewed tried to take herbs or vitamins to induce abortions. When these methods were unsuccessful, they obtained surgical abortions safely.

Sorry, but I'm underwhelmed by the accuracy of this "report."

Oh and by the way, if you look at teen pregnancies by ETHNICITY, Hispanic teens have the highest rate of teen pregnancy. Texas is tied with California for the highest percentage of Hispanics in the general population, so this definitely impacts the Texas teen pregnancy rate. And Texas is not ranked #1 in teen pregnancy rates by the way, though it does have a high ranking (due, as I said, largely to it's huge Hispanic population with it's high teen pregnancy rate). By the way, other minorities also have high teen pregnancy rates, and Texas is one of only four states in the US that is majority/minority meaning that white, Non Hispanics make up less than 50 percent of the population.

Birth Rates (Live Births) per 1,000 Females Aged 15–19 Years Select Years| Teen Pregnancy | Reproductive Health | CDC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ino_population
http://www.livescience.com/45355-tee...-by-state.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top