Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 05:22 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Another rescue dog attack. Its just to risky , taking an addult dog in, especially something like a Rott. There just no telling what the animals history is, so you have no clue what might flip its switch. An animal that's been living on the street has reverted to wild instinct. Out of necessity, There's no predicting what it may do. Survival instinct is a strong trait. The dog probably went into aggression mode over some perceived threat, or maybe over a dominance issue. Fight or flight, so to speak. Dogs are a predator animal, so fight wins out over flight, most of the time.

Rotts are a shutzen breed. Even we treated and trained Rotts should never be taken for granted. Yep, sounds like another case of the road to Hell, and the good intentions its paved with. What actually happened? We will never know. The dog can't tell us. Temperament testing was mentioned, which is all fine and well, but isn't something to stake your life on. That's hardly an ...infallible...thing. There's just no test or method that can predict behavior. This case is testament to that fact. Any dog can turn at any time. There doesn't even have to be a reason. At least one that might make sense to us.

I had a dog , a Chow /Husky mix, that I raised from a just weaned pup, turn on me. He just went plumb phsyco, in the blink of an eye. He was never mistreated , in any way, something just shorted out in his brain, and he snapped. Pretty scary. Dogs are livj v tbjnvs, with a mind of their own, and like any living creature, that mind can...malfunction, at any time. A time bomb, with teeth. Even the best created and trained critter can turn bad, in a nanosecond. Taking behavior for granted is not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 09:09 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Doesn't matter, if he got use to the owner he would have then just ripped the neighbors head off shortly after. I agree, weapon dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
#rottweilerlivesmatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Weapon dogs.
Yep. The man is another victim of the tough guy, lion-tamer syndrome. The dog is victim of doing what it was bred to do.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:28 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Yep. The man is another victim of the tough guy, lion-tamer syndrome. The dog is victim of doing what it was bred to do.
Yes, many people get dogs like Rotts as status symbols. I've known a.few. They all shared some traits I common. Wannabe tough guys without a.clue how to train and handle a dog like a Rott. A hampster would have been more in line with their skill sets. I don't think this guy being discussed here actually falls into that category. I think be was just a well intentioned person, that got in over his head. Fatally.

There's must not any way of predicting how an animal will react in a given situation. Temperament testing doesn't tell the whole story. The dog may seem just fine, but there's a trigger in there, that just waiting to trip. silly little thing, most likely,. But o less dangerous for seeming so. "Rescuing" a large, security bred dog is a terrible risk. . The dog doesn't know of care a out good intentions.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:33 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
And more naive animal lovers will be getting killed in the future because they have no common sense or any type of analytical thought about these types of situations. These breeds of dogs were made to attack and kill. There is no such thing as rehabilitation for them!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:50 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya
maybe he tried to associate the dog with too many strangers in one day and it agitated the dog?
Thats what I thought when I first read about this days ago..... He must have scared the dog scarecely or something!!

Very sad

Old 11-28-2015, 04:57 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
The victim was used to having large dogs. This dog never should have been allowed to be adopted.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
He was herded to death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thats what I thought when I first read about this days ago..... He must have scared the dog scarecely or something!!

Very sad
Yes, it is sad. Rottweilers don't respond well to being uprooted from their family. They have a strong family protective instinct.

If someone let this poor dog go so that it was picked up by animal control, then he was likely mistreated by his previous owner(s). Only people who have experience with this specific breed should have the opportunity for their companionship.

The are magnificent.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:42 AM

384 posts, read 596,120 times
"He a good doggie, he never did nuffin' wrong".

In other news, 100's of other breeds of dogs not named Pit Bulls, Rottweilers or Mastiff's killed nobody this year.

Quit trying to overcompensate for your height or ***** size and get a friendlier breed.

That is all.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:57 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
I am sure something like this happens in just a small percentage of cases. Shouldn't let it stop people from adopting these types of dogs. We should also allow Islamic Refugees into the US, while we are at it.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:22 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
"He a good doggie, he never did nuffin' wrong".

In other news, 100's of other breeds of dogs not named Pit Bulls, Rottweilers or Mastiff's killed nobody this year.

Quit trying to overcompensate for your height or ***** size and get a friendlier breed.

That is all.
Thanks for telling everyone what they can and cant have. TY master!! I will check with you the next time I do anything!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events