Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:31 AM

4,976 posts, read 5,245,921 times

Advertisements

NVplumber, you are correct. It is everyday.

The people I knew that I heard did things like this did not have a lot of money. They did have access to a grocery store, but hunted animals were a way of extending the budget. I don't know that they did it in excess like these people on any given day, but they did eat the meat and didn't let it go to waste. When you live in certain areas, deer and other wild animals become overpopulated. One of my brother's acquaintances happened to come into possession of a raccoon... not sure if it was shot or hit by a car. This guy and his dad cleaned it and stuck it in the freezer. My family had decent money so it was kind of a 'Wow!' moment for us to hear that the acquaintance did that. We knew our grandparents had eaten wild game like possum, raccoon, etc., back in the 1920's-40'swhen money was scarce, but it wasn't our lifestyle.

I can't fault someone for doing this if they needed the food for their table. The people in the story sound greedy. That was excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 09:33 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,403,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Nothing at all as long as it's legal. When it turns to poaching, then I have something against it. I don't appreciate people much when they think they are above the law because of greed.
Well ya but that is not what your original post was addressing.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:38 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,571,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
NVplumber, you are correct. It is everyday.

The people I knew that I heard did things like this did not have a lot of money. They did have access to a grocery store, but hunted animals were a way of extending the budget. I don't know that they did it in excess like these people on any given day, but they did eat the meat and didn't let it go to waste. When you live in certain areas, deer and other wild animals become overpopulated. One of my brother's acquaintances happened to come into possession of a raccoon... not sure if it was shot or hit by a car. This guy and his dad cleaned it and stuck it in the freezer. My family had decent money so it was kind of a 'Wow!' moment for us to hear that the acquaintance did that. We knew our grandparents had eaten wild game like possum, raccoon, etc., back in the 1920's-40'swhen money was scarce, but it wasn't our lifestyle.

I can't fault someone for doing this if they needed the food for their table. The people in the story sound greedy. That was excessive.
The people I know in the Clarksburg/Spelter area don't wantonly slaughter, and nothing gets wasted. As you said, it's a grocery supplement. Deer and turkeys are dripping off the area, and out of season harvest is, generally, ignored by FG. So long as its somewhat...discreet, a d the animals are properly utilized.

Then there's the Mountain People. The woods and a rifle is their grocery store. The time I spent in WV was...enlightening. As I said earlier, to a Western , mule deer and elk hunter, WV is another planet. Out of season hunting out here is close to a hanging offense, while in WV, its a common , even accepted, thing. A LOT more subsistence hunting back there. Its a totally different culture from we Westerners.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:44 AM

5,290 posts, read 5,214,669 times
Quote:
Is killing animals for sport all that much fun? I'm assuming these people aren't starving and have access to a grocery store.
Of course, because hamburger and chicken and pork chops just show up plastic wrapped, they arent killed.

Oh wait...

Old 11-27-2015, 12:56 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,924,514 times
I've met some illegal hunters that hunt for food year round, usually they qualify as poor white trash, but they have a 50K arsenal of weapons and ammo, in case the gubmint outlaws guns, so yeah they could go shopping if they were not spending $50 on a box of .22 ammo

Old 11-27-2015, 01:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,258,369 times
Quote:
Is killing animals for sport all that much fun? I'm assuming these people aren't starving and have access to a grocery store.
Is shooting a wild animal less ethical than eating an animal from a supermarket that was raised in a tiny cage or pen under f fluorescent lights while standing on a crust of its own filth?

And as mentioned, much poaching is done to supplement the diet of poor families as well as for sale. It is illegal, but it is generally done for human subsistence, not bloodlust.

At any rate, poaching is common in most eastern states. Private land makes poaching/exceeding bag limits easy. I am actually surprised it isn't more rampant.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,336,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I've met some illegal hunters that hunt for food year round, usually they qualify as poor white trash, but they have a 50K arsenal of weapons and ammo, in case the gubmint outlaws guns, so yeah they could go shopping if they were not spending $50 on a box of .22 ammo
Actually a box of .22 caliber ammo costs about $13.00 for a 50 round box, while my Whitetail Pro Core-Lokt hunting 30-06 big game ammo costs me a whopping $21.00. and my Henry Lever Action rifle cost me new a whole $179.00 on sale 20 years ago. Not 50K!

Old 11-27-2015, 02:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,277,552 times
a
Quote:
You would be wrong to assume that about West Virginia. About 18% of WV families live below the Federal poverty designation. The percentage of children living in poor families is 26.6%. Those statistics are higher for rural counties where employment is less plentiful.

Personally, I'm no fan of hunting. But I was born in that Devil's Triangle where Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio meet. I was raised among people who hunt. There was heavy absenteeism in my high school as hunting season opened and the school looked the other way. The vast majority of those hunters eat what they kill. Yes, many of them consider hunting a sport, too, and something they enjoy. But when people are in poverty, they often go out in terrible weather to get food for their families. Butchers in the area will cut up a deer for a small fee and often will hold the venison in their freezers for the customer's future use. And by the way, deer are plentiful in that part of the country; hunting seasons are extended by state game commissions when the herds are dangerously over-sized because otherwise many deer would starve to death.

I don't know a thing about the particular incident the OP has highlighted. But it is wrong for anyone to think that in WV the only reason to hunt is because a person enjoys killing animals.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:20 PM

78,007 posts, read 60,193,878 times
I don't lose sleep over poached deer. I saw about 20 dead by car impact on my drive for thanksgiving.

There Are so many deer that often towns have special hunts or they'd starve off instead.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,916,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Hey, I NEED ten 1911's and five AR's! Cauze the government wants to take our guns.

Besides the government gives poor folk EBT cards, free medical and Obamaphones and subsidized housing. Frees up our cash for 4WD's and ammo.

I got a 500 round brick of .22 for $26.00 at Sportsmans Warehouse last week!

When I was a kid my family fell on hard times. We subsistance hunted and fished for about a year. If it moved we shot it. But we ate it. Back then a brick was like $6.00, about a penny a round.

I still wonder how these guys expected to not get caught with a trailer full of dead deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events