Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 08:30 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
A direct question for you ... Would this same logic train of yours work for the KKK having a protest in Selma on MLK day ... locking arms and keeping people from having their own activities?
Yes. A KKK march in Selma would be constitutionally protected. In fact there have been such marches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 08:38 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Lmao, how cute. If I had a dollar for every time someone used this nonsensical rhetoric I'd buy everyone on this forum a Gold bracelet.
Sometimes a post is so inaccurate and idiotic, that it's just a complete waste of time to even address.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:54 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes. A KKK march in Selma would be constitutionally protected. In fact there have been such marches.
Obfuscation, thy name is NOLA(with numbers). Of course it would be protected and there have been those types. Now again ... would you, NOLA(with numbers), approve of it as adamantly as you do the BLM crap?

El Nox

Old 11-29-2015, 06:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
You can protest, go protest in a park and not interrupt another persons livelihood
Do you understand the point of peaceful protest?

Old 11-29-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
So in your opinion, it's ok to negatively impact someone's else's livelihood to get what you want, no entitlement attitude there now....there are plenty of smaller businesses along that stretch that were impacted as well....but hey, we don't care about those people, your protest is more important
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Protest is an important part of being a citizen, so yes, I would say it's a price we pay for the freedom to protest. All freedoms have costs.

The Montgomery bus boycott only worked because it affected people's livelihoods and the economy of the city. if they went to some abandoned field and protested instead, they'd still be riding in the back of the bus.

I'm glad you get it ocnjgirl. Peaceful protest is not a complicated idea.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
While both of you have strongly held opinions, you have not offered proof of a cover up, other than some claims that have been made in public by sources that may or may not be credible. Even if I grant your assertions that there was a cover up, the system worked, and charges were filed, and that brings us back too my statement and post that your posts appear to imply is not valid because it does not address all police corruption, or all attempted cover ups by persons in a power position, or all racial problems between the various police departments and minorities.

My statement was about a specific cop and a specific statement about that specific cop by a specific protester that was on its face a moronic statement. Feel free to read the post(s) again if you think I am misrepresenting what I have posted.
Read the news from various sources. That's what I do and why I have "strongly held opinions." I'm informed. You?

Old 11-29-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
It allows for peaceable assembly, specifically to petition the government for a redress of grievances, but not for a right for people to be targeting and interupting commerce or commercial enterprises. It is first and foremost a limit on congressional authority, not permission to injure innocent third parties for political gain, as many previous posters seemed to imply.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Edit: don't confuse an effective Alinsky tactic with a constitional right. They are not the same thing.
Peacefully assembly and redressing government grievances are two separate clauses in that sentence, not one and the same.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:33 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Shouldn't they be down at the police station protesting? It's not the shoppers that are causing the police shootings.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
By the same respect, who are you to tell anyone what they can lecture a group of individuals on? I would like to lecture people on the perils of running down a main thoroughfare, brandishing a knife, making threatening gestures at law enforcement, while jacked up on an illegal substance. Maybe if these same protestors dedicated themselves with educating their community with the same vigor as they are shutting down family owned businesses, we would see a decrease in these types of incidents
Mark is a lawyer and probably has studied the document in question more than many other people. He's intelligent, uses facts to argue his point and doesn't tow a party line. I trust what he says. He's not lecturing you or anyone else. He's taking part in this discussion the same as the rest of us.

I wonder what your attitude is towards other protesters. Are you against any form of public assembly?

Old 11-29-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Shouldn't they be down at the police station protesting? It's not the shoppers that are causing the police shootings.
Do you understand the point of peaceful protests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events