Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 10:42 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Could you id some slander for us?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ned+parenthood

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ned+parenthood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:00 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That is one of the criteria for terrorism. He was attempting to intimidate people and force them to change their activities.

Shooting at a theatre? How many people were afraid to see a movie after that?

Bomb on a plane? How many people were afraid to fly after that?

When people are made afraid to live their daily lives, that is terrorism. Virgins or no virgins .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
We can pretty much call whatever we want terrorism, because even today there is no universally accepted definition of the word. (LaFree, Dugan and Miller, 2015, p. 7). I've also read that there are 72 different definitions of the word (but I cannot remember where). The Department of State recognizes more than a dozen definitions, and has used different ones at different times.

What we might be missing is that this guy was a loner, apparently had the IQ of a soap dish, and didn't work and play well with others. Calling him a 'terrorist' might just be giving him a bit more credit than he deserves.

But then, terrorism, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
One down, 71 to go. (That isn't even the DOS's current definition - and they both work for the same government.)

But that's ok - you can call it terrorism if you want to. One of the clearest definitions I ever heard was a couple years ago in Tel Aviv - if you are terrorized, then it is terrorism. I can't argue with that one.

My point is, this suspect is apparently about five cans short of a six-pack. Do you really want to give him - or his unspeakably horrible act - more credit than either he or his act deserve?

Personally, I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Terrorism? Nope. Just more Work Place Violence.... Just ask Nidal Hasan. Or our beloved POTUS.
We seem to have an issue defining terrorism. So I propose the following test - the Ten Tenets of Terror Test. If a person scores 10 or higher the person is a terrorist. Points are next to the act in parenthesis. If a group commits a violent act, points assigned to each member of the group at aggregated against all members of the group.

1. Selects "soft" targets that are mainly divorced from the actual target for the purpose of killing as many people as possible in an attempt to further a political or religious agenda by creating fear and terror among the population which, in turn, places pressure on the actual target. (5 Points).

2. Belongs to or supports a group that holds absolute or unwavering views of political or religious doctrine. (3 Points)

3. Uses "traditional" terror methods such as planting bombs, commandeering planes, or video-recorded head-hacking. (3 Points)

4. Yells ideological phrases or slogans when committing the act (ie. Allahu Akbar). (4 Points)

5. Wears terror garb. (2 Points)

6. Plans the attack well in advance (2 Points)

7. Takes responsibility for the attack and cites the cause as advancing political or religious causes. (3 Points).

8. Martyrs himself/herself during the attack. (3 Points)

9. Hates America or the West generally. (3 Points)

10. Targets police officers, soldiers, or guards. (1 Point)

Based on the test, I do not see any evidence (yet) that Mr. Dear would gain any points.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:01 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
About half the women who have abortions were using birth control. Their method failed.
There are 700,000 abortions each year in the U.S. If half the abortions are "caused" by failed birth control that's 350,000 failures not counting the babies who are born or are naturally miscarried after BC failure. That's a lot of "failure". And it still leaves a lot of people who are simply not using the free or low-cost BC that's out there.

Quote:
Eliminating PP will make it harder for many women to get contraception. You will increase the number of abortions in the long run.
Most people don't want to "eliminate PP". They want to end the government subsidies. There are plenty of rich liberals around to support it.

Quote:
In addition, many who are against abortion are also against many of the most effective contraceptives, including IUDs.
That's irrelevant. That's like the NRA pointing out that "many people" who are against fully automatic machine guns are also against shotguns.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times
That is alot of things, that is not however slander. Should we suppress anti NRA speech?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:05 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Any talk of defunding Planned Parenthood has been killed as well. If anything, they will get more money.
I don't believe Republicans were serious about defunding it anyway, considering they "threw" the hearings with PP leader Cecile Richards last month.
This crisis won't be wasted.

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 11-30-2015 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-30-2015, 11:10 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Here we go with blaming others and the "rhetoric" for what happened. I realize that many people hate the idea of free speech, but right now we still have it (to a limited degree). Planned Parenthood is trying to blame this attack on its political enemies to divert attention from the fact that it was caught on video explaining its "cost recovery" procedure for "donating" baby parts and is being legitimately investigated for these actions. No one is responsible for what Mr. Dear did except, perhaps, Mr. Dear.

Planned Parenthood did not "donate" fetal tissue. The donation is made by the woman having the abortion. Her decision to donate or not does not determine whether she has the abortion. She is not paid anything for agreeing to donate the tissue.

The amount of money previously charged was reasonable and comparable to what would be charged to prepare and ship human tissue from any source. PP did not profit from it.

That is why the "investigation" was unjustified and a waste of taxpayer money.

Mr. Dear is responsible for his actions, but if he was indeed mumbling about "baby parts" it is reasonable to say that the people who have been complaining about PP "selling baby parts" must take responsibility for triggering his decision to perform those actions.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's worth remembering what happened. This anti-abortion zealot killed real people.

This massacre wasn't some accident, some inexplicable act. Just as Islamists slaughtering westerners is the inevitable consequence of imams preaching hate and spewing fundamentalist nonsense, murderous attacks on clinics is the inevitable result of likening abortion to genocide and calling abortions 'atrocities' and peddling fake videos supposedly showing things that don't actually happen.

You can't endlessly compare Planned Parenthood to Nazi Germany, you can't make up lies about clinics harvesting organs from fully-developed babies in videos that don't really exist, you can't claimed children are being murdered ... and then profess astonishment that people respond with violence.

And these people have been murdered as a result of that rhetoric.

Garrett Swasey, father of two, police officer. DEAD.

Jennifer Markovsy, mother of two, at the clinic in support of a friend. DEAD.

Ke'Arre Stewart, father of two, Iraq War veteran. DEAD.

This isn't a game. So stop playing games by inciting people to violence.
Excellent post. I wish people would understand their words have real power - good and bad.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:15 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Excellent post. I wish people would understand their words have real power - good and bad.
So how do you propose we control speech?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
So how do you propose we control speech?
Where did I say anything about controlling speech? Please note what I actually said.

Quote:
IOW, I want people to have self awareness about how their words can inspire others to act.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:22 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm appalled at most of the news stories circulating about this tragic event. I personally listened to eight hours of scanner feed as the events unfolded, and nearly every news article I read is filled with inaccuracies and speculation. Where is the actual journalism? Megan Kelly, a supposed journalist, posts a completely asinine piece on her personal blog questioning the man's gender because his Colorado Voter ID lists him as a woman, and the Internet explodes with crazy. It's in all likelihood a data entry error, but you'd never know that from the way it's presented. There is little journalistic integrity any longer. The talking heads are professional propagandists out for ratings, because many Americans have diminishing amounts of common sense and easily buy into this nonsense. It's disgusting!
From my experience you can't assume that everything heard on a police scanner is accurate, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events