Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:26 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Congratulations to anyone who got through my above post. It was early, and I was in full-on brain dump. Consequently, my editing sucked!

As I was driving home from an appointment this morning, I came up with some other scenarios for cervical trauma. Damage can happen any time instruments or even fingers (as during a dilation check during the first stage of labor) are introduced into the vagina. It can be the result of a forceps delivery, use of instruments to deal with prolapsed cord, shoulder dystocia, breech presentation, fetal macrocephaly, or even improper use of a speculum during a Pap smear, in addition to the early pushing I mentioned in my previous post.

As for you, Mack, understand that you have brought a knife to a gun fight. I will run circles around you on this topic, so please stop pretending that you know much of anything at all other than how to use a search engine.
Very good! Can't rep you again or I would
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 10:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are millions of people not covered by insurance, despite the ACA.

You have to have a prescription to get the more effective methods of birth control. Half of women who have abortions do so because their method failed, which happens sometimes even when the method is used properly. So it is incorrect to imply that women who seek abortion are universally failing to use their method properly. Many were not.

The people who discourage use of IUDs or Plan B are part of the abortion problem, whether you want to admit it or not. For some women lack of access is indeed a problem. I agree that contraceptives should be easily available. Closing PP will not help make that happen. PP serves a large population that will not easily be able to get care elsewhere.
You're using the standard technique of misrepresenting what I said, so you can argue against an extremist position.

I never, ever implied that [your words] "women who seek abortion are universally failing to use their method properly."

Per Guttmacher, 18% of women at risk who use contraception inconsistently or incorrectly account for 41% of all unintended pregnancies. You consider that lack of access. I don't.

Then there's the 14% of women at risk who do not practice contraception at all or who have gaps of a month or more during the year accounting for 54% of all unintended pregnancies. You consider those women [or their sexmates] as lacking access due to cost, absence of medical care, intimidation by anti-bc activists, whatever. Though condoms and the pill aren't the most effective methods and require a bit of personal responsibility, one or the other is generally easily available.

As I told you, my preference would be the most effective bc free to the woman.

btw, opposing federal funding for PP doesn't = closing PP.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Our analysis shows unequivocally that Planned Parenthood plays a major role in delivering publicly supported contraceptive services and supplies to women who are in need of such care nationwide. In two-thirds of the 491 counties in which they are located, Planned Parenthood health centers serve at least half of all women obtaining contraceptive care from safety-net health centers. In one-fifth of the counties in which they are located, Planned Parenthood sites are the sole safety-net family planning center.

About a year after Texas slashed its family-planning budget by two-thirds, with 50 clinics shutting down as a result, the Texas Policy Evaluation Project surveyed 300 pregnant women seeking an abortion in Texas. Nearly half said they were "unable to access the birth control that they wanted to use" in the three months before they became pregnant. Among the reasons: cost, lack of insurance, inability to find a clinic, and inability get a prescription. The state's health commission says Texas will see nearly 24,000 unplanned births between 2014 and 2015 thanks to these cuts, raising state and federal taxpayer's Medicaid costs by up to $273 million.

Planned Parenthood has over 700 health centers through the United States that offer services to women, men, and teens. Planned Parenthood offers a variety of services, including sexual and reproductive healthcare, information, and education. They serve over 2.7 million men and women in the United States, and educate over 5 million. In 2014, they received approximately $528 million from the government to fund these services. This is almost 40% of their funding.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:59 AM

37,101 posts, read 41,226,282 times
^^^^Can't rep you again 2sleepy.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why would anyone drop a baby in a dumpster when all hospitals will accept a newborn without question and without requiring identification of the person leaving the baby there?

That points to complete irresponsibility of the women who gave birth. It takes about 9 months to bring a baby to term and deliver yet we are to believe that women drop babies in dumpsters out of haste?

Wherever you stand on abortion, perhaps being in favor of responsibility of their body, which women demand, and rightfully so, should be #1 on the list because it is preventative of the problem pregnancy, not a contributor to it.

An abortion is a medical intervention because the woman was either raped or as is the usual case, they are ignorant or stupid and irresponsible or both stupid and irresponsible.

Lets call it what it is, abortion is just a way to avoid doing what should have been done before.
You make the mistake of assuming rationality. You don't make an attempt to put yourself in the shoes of a young pregnant woman. Have you ever heard of pregnancy denial? Its a real phenomenon. I have a doctor who is a friend of mine who described a case he dealt with in some detail. An unmarried woman with deep religious convictions presented to his office and told him she couldn't explain the weight gain she had. Nor, could she explain the fact that she seemed to feel sick every morning. I will also note she had no history of mental illness, drug abuse, or alcohol abuse. So, he runs a pregnancy test and it comes back positive. Even when confronted with the results of the test she continued to deny the fact that she was pregnant. That woman was fortunate. She received mental health intervention. Not all do though. Most women can deal rationally with planned or unplanned pregnancy. However, a small percentage do not. Baby abandonment is not a simple function of lack of responsiblity or poverty. It is often a function of mental illness. Indeed your question ought to be: "Who in their right mind would abandon a baby in a dumpster when other options are available?" The answer is a woman who is mentally ill.

My observation of you based on this post and others is that lack experience in life. You always have a simple explanation for every problem in this world and that explanation is "lack of responsibility". As fashionable as this has become in some circles there are simply situations where it doesn't fit. Or, perhaps more importantly, you deny the reality that other factors play a role. Mary may not get birth control because she can't find a doctor who will see her in rural Idaho or in the middle of Texas. Sally may be very young and have parents who are very unaware of what goes on in her school. Maybe her father has abused her in the past and she is afraid of being abused if she tells him she is sexually active.

I submit the reason the rate of unplanned pregnancies, teen pregnancy, and pregnancies to unmarried women has declined is largely because of Planned Parenthood. Take that away and these rates will rise along with the rate of abortion. That will occur and certain segments of the country will still be yelling "lack of personal responsibility!" until they are blue in the face.

Last edited by markg91359; 12-02-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-02-2015, 11:37 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Our analysis shows unequivocally that Planned Parenthood plays a major role in delivering publicly supported contraceptive services and supplies to women who are in need of such care nationwide. In two-thirds of the 491 counties in which they are located, Planned Parenthood health centers serve at least half of all women obtaining contraceptive care from safety-net health centers. In one-fifth of the counties in which they are located, Planned Parenthood sites are the sole safety-net family planning center.

About a year after Texas slashed its family-planning budget by two-thirds, with 50 clinics shutting down as a result, the Texas Policy Evaluation Project surveyed 300 pregnant women seeking an abortion in Texas. Nearly half said they were "unable to access the birth control that they wanted to use" in the three months before they became pregnant. Among the reasons: cost, lack of insurance, inability to find a clinic, and inability get a prescription. The state's health commission says Texas will see nearly 24,000 unplanned births between 2014 and 2015 thanks to these cuts, raising state and federal taxpayer's Medicaid costs by up to $273 million.

Planned Parenthood has over 700 health centers through the United States that offer services to women, men, and teens. Planned Parenthood offers a variety of services, including sexual and reproductive healthcare, information, and education. They serve over 2.7 million men and women in the United States, and educate over 5 million. In 2014, they received approximately $528 million from the government to fund these services. This is almost 40% of their funding.
Pretty graph, but zip to do with federal funds.

If federal funding stopped, PP would have to dip into its $1 billion+ assets, raise more private funding, streamline its operating costs, or find other ways to maintain federally-funded programs.

You can stop with the PP promotions because even though they manipulate their stats to minimize the abortions, I have no problem with bc and abortions for everyone, free.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You're using the standard technique of misrepresenting what I said, so you can argue against an extremist position.

I never, ever implied that [your words] "women who seek abortion are universally failing to use their method properly."

Per Guttmacher, 18% of women at risk who use contraception inconsistently or incorrectly account for 41% of all unintended pregnancies. You consider that lack of access. I don't.

Then there's the 14% of women at risk who do not practice contraception at all or who have gaps of a month or more during the year accounting for 54% of all unintended pregnancies. You consider those women [or their sexmates] as lacking access due to cost, absence of medical care, intimidation by anti-bc activists, whatever. Though condoms and the pill aren't the most effective methods and require a bit of personal responsibility, one or the other is generally easily available.

As I told you, my preference would be the most effective bc free to the woman.

2sleepy answered this quite well, I think.

You say, "Though condoms and the pill aren't the most effective methods and require a bit of personal responsibility ..."

The point I have been making is that a considerable fraction of the anti-abortion community classifies methods which are more effective and less user dependent as abortifacients and does not want anyone to use those methods. That means if someone has a condom slip or break, she should not be able to use Plan B, and heaven forbid that she use an IUD.

Denying that there are problems with access to highly effective methods of contraception, fueled by anti-abortion forces, flies in the face of facts, as demonstrated by the refusal of the Colorado legislature to fund a very successful program that provided those methods to teens.

Your approach of "let them use condoms" does not work. And for now you need a prescription for birth control pills, though that may change.

I have agreed with you that contraceptives should be easily available. Not everyone needs for them to be "free"; some of us can afford to buy them. If it is "free" it still has to be paid for, then we have Hobby Lobby refusing to provide insurance that covers contraception, because IUDs cause abortion, you know, and those who don't want "my tax money" paying for them.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Pretty graph, but zip to do with federal funds. If federal funding stopped, PP would have to dip into its $1 billion+ assets, raise more private funding, streamline its operating costs, or find other ways to maintain federally-funded programs. You can stop with the PP promotions because even though they manipulate their stats to minimize the abortions, I have no problem with bc and abortions for everyone, free.
It has EVERYTHING to do with federal funds my friend, if you can't see that (I thought the illustrations might help you) then there is nothing I can do or say to convince you otherwise.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
You can stop with the PP promotions because even though they manipulate their stats to minimize the abortions, I have no problem with bc and abortions for everyone, free.
Then why do you object to federal funding, so more people can get contraceptives at low or no cost?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:52 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Then why do you object to federal funding, so more people can get contraceptives at low or no cost?
Because its not my obligation to pay for your responsibilities. Contraception is not an essential government function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events