Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:11 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
There's no way they're "Born Again" Christians....These type are hypocrites.
Unfortunately, the hypocrites are usually the only ones I encounter. The others keep it to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 12:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I am not sure anything is illegal anymore. The World is turned upside down. We have a felon running for the highest office in the land. We have illegal aliens in every corner of our once great nation. The Bankers are running rampant stealing from us all. The Federal government is printing 'funny' money. Government lies are told to all citizens. If you have money and influence you can do just about anything outside the Law. There are many more examples of the death of The-Rule-of-Law.

So, i suppose do all you want and just apologize if you get caught? Or laugh it off and say you didn't know or it was somebody else that did it. Hey it works for our so called 'public servants'! Why not for you?
There is no restriction on a convicted felon to prevent running for most elected offices. Convicted felons have run for Congress from prison and managed to get 15-20% of the votes.

Which candidate running for their party's nomination is a convicted felon?

Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Because they did nothing illegal, perhaps?

The article does not indicate that they applied for a civil marriage license - they merely conducted a religious marriage ceremony. That's not illegal. They're not legally married. Also, no minors were involved. Legally, this man in the article is married to one woman.

Some years ago - maybe a dozen, long before same-sex marriage was legal here in Minnesota - I attended the wedding of two women. It was performed in a local church, with a pastor presiding. But there was no application for a civil marriage certificate and neither party attempted to register the marriage with the state nor did they claim marital status in a legal since - for example, on tax returns - so it remained nothing other than a private religious rite that involved the state in no way.

So it is with this polygamous marriage. No laws were violated.
Not all states have co- habitation laws and for the most part, polygamists are left alone. LE has better things to do than interfere among consenting adults who choose to live together under a spiritual contract. Nothing new, here.

Then there's the Warren Jeff's thing. It's another matter when an adult marries a 12 year old in a spiritual ceremony.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:20 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I wasn't referring to an illegitimate baby. Those are pretty common today. What I was alluding to was that these people are just flat out weird. Oddball parents like that often have kids that socially don't fit in with the other kids.
Of course, you were referring to "an illegitimate baby". The kid's father and mother are not legally married, and can not legally get married, in the eyes of the State. Therefore, the kid will be born illegitimate. It is obvious that is what you are thinking of, even if you don't admit it to yourself!
Besides, by the time that kid gets old enough to worry about what "society" thinks of the circumstances of his (or her) birth, such familial arrangements may be quite commonplace, if not legal. This is only the first of many, and it won't be long before the Supreme Court has to weigh in on more different kinds of "marriages". THEY opened the door, and the "weird oddballs" will flood through it!
It is inevitable!

There is a very simple unwritten law that covers these things.
It is know as "The Law Of Unintended Consequences". It is impossible to avoid!

Old 12-01-2015, 01:32 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Nothing wrong with it other than being mystified as to why an attractive 19 year old wants to be with a tubby 60 year old man who looks every day of his age and then some. Makes me wonder if some grooming wasn't going on before she reached legal age.

In any case, I've got no objection to polygamy - I just think it's a dumb idea, especially when the man declares he's the only one who can marry multiple partners and thereby sets himself up as some kind of rock star within the family dynamic.

But please, let's not sit here and say "well they could be really good parents!" We're talking about a longtime former mob enforcer who went to prison for stabbing someone. I know felons who have turned their lives around completely, but they either weren't violent or they committed their crimes while they were young. What do you think is going to happen when this young girl decides she's had enough sharing somebody's granddad with someone else's mom and decides to take her baby and go? Nothing pretty.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,781,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Have you people never been to Ut, they got whole private communities on the fed dime here! Schools, roads social services, you name it and YOU pay for it! This is not new news in these parts.
It's not just in Utah (and not just western states), and it p****s me off to no end.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What can a 19 year old girl possibly see in an overweight 60 year old man?
Ask Hollywood. This is their dream casting for most movies.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:57 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Of course, you were referring to "an illegitimate baby". The kid's father and mother are not legally married, and can not legally get married, in the eyes of the State. Therefore, the kid will be born illegitimate. It is obvious that is what you are thinking of, even if you don't admit it to yourself!
Besides, by the time that kid gets old enough to worry about what "society" thinks of the circumstances of his (or her) birth, such familial arrangements may be quite commonplace, if not legal. This is only the first of many, and it won't be long before the Supreme Court has to weigh in on more different kinds of "marriages". THEY opened the door, and the "weird oddballs" will flood through it!
It is inevitable!

There is a very simple unwritten law that covers these things.
It is know as "The Law Of Unintended Consequences". It is impossible to avoid!
Yes the baby will be illegitimate, but that was not relevant to my comments.

From the article "And while Miller’s ladies are both on board with their love triangle, his church in Mansfield, Ohio, isn’t." This three way marriage is outside of the norm for for whatever church they are involved with. This makes them 'stand out' from the rest of their church and surrounding community. Thus, they would be oddballs.

Polygamy laws will probably be challenged soon at the Supreme Court level. Until a time when that becomes legal, their behavior will not be considered the norm and may not even then.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:00 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What can a 19 year old girl possibly see in an overweight 60 year old man?
I wish I knew!😇

Old 12-01-2015, 02:41 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,689,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Last I knew, polygamy was illegal in all 50 states.

Pastor marries pregnant teen with wife’s blessing | New York Post
Hey...we crossed that line in the sand with SSM.

It's wide open now to whom is allowed to marry whom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events